1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Might we still lack the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Sep 2, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I found this in Acts 8:

Does that mean the Holy Spirit was a gift Christians got only while the apostles were around? Was He the reason miracles and other supernatural feats could be achieved by Humans? If the Holy Spirit isn't "The Confortor" is He the Father then? Could we still recieve the Holy Spirit in the same way the apostles and the Chruch did back then?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

This was different because they were samatians. Being only half jew they were hated by the jews, and this showed the jews that salvation was for the smaritians too, that they too could be saved and recieve the Holy Spirit.
    The Holy SPirit is the comforter, I think Jesus actually said so, the Holy Spirit indwells each christian,Jesus said He would never leave us He indwells us as the Holy SPirit, christians power both then and now come from the indwelling Holy Spirit. We do still recieve the Holy SPirit the same way christians did then, except for the first time the Holy Spirit was given to beleivers on the day of pentecost, which was different becasue it was the first time, the first time can only happen once.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Actually, this is the meaning of "keys of the kingdom" which Jesus gave to Peter. It was Peter that had to open the doors of salvation to 1) the Jews (Pentecost, Acts 2), 2) the Samaritans (you note, Acts 8), and 3) the Gentiles (Cornelius, Acts 10). And so we see Peter involved with the first converts in each of these as the gospel went out "to Judea, Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the world."

skypair

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Acts is a transitional book. The Gentiles who believed at the household of Cornelius received the Holy Spirit without any laying on of hands.

Paul declares in Romans, "If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His" (Rom 8:9). All believers are sealed with the Holy Spirit.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, and to add;

Lk 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: