1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Militarily speaking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmm maybe some cals on this board should take that same advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, no direct answer to the OP questions?

Surely, you have taken the time to wallow in these inquiries as you have contemplated both contempt and contest of the Godly and ungodly demands of a pastor.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no direct answer to the question in the thread I began. Your hypocrisy is exposed.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I did answer your questions.

I did not avoid or manipulate the questions to what I desired, but directed each response to fully answer not only by Scriptures but by practice.

That YOU chose to not view the questions as answered, and, unlike any good and faithful teacher would consider a teachable moment, did not provide what you would have considered an acceptable answer is not really the issue of this OP.

So, just whose "hypocrisy is exposed?"

Perhaps, you cannot answer the questions presented in the OP.

That is fine, a bit sad, actually, but none-the-less what happens when some are asked questions that they don't really have an answer for, want to avoid, never considered, think are too childish for response, too puzzled about, or any number of other reasons.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you didn't

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, just how do you want me to respond?

Shout back, "Yes, I did!" as if we are to kindergartners on a playground, or as grown adults who actually share views and substance?

Perhaps you have not encountered these questions in the ministry. If you haven't, then it is understandable that you have nothing of value to contribute.

But, I can't imagine one who has spent even a short number of years as a pastor not confronted with these sort of questions.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And some non/anti-Cals. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The questions have been answered and no one has offered any alternate answer.

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when the OP asked:

3) Specific to the U.S., when does the BB members determine that the country is not one in which to honor with pledge and service?

Your answer was
    3) Those that do not honor America are probably not Christians (but many may be tares). Some have bought into the scapegoating fictions of the Left, I can even honor the past service of John McCain, while acknowledging he seems to be undercutting our efforts to make a better America for all, including blacks, asians, and hispanics.

Just when will members of the BB determine that the US is not one in which to honor with pledge and service?

How bad is bad?

See, the questions were designed to bring about thoughtful discourse on the "When" and not just about the what.

The thread was never about US bashing, or dishonoring anyone.

It was to be about the relationship believers are expected to have when considering that their citizenship is NOT of this world, but give credentials as ambassadors of Christ to the place they reside.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and why do you love it

11. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I'll try to answer the questions honestly and straightforward as possible.

It is worthy and righteous by default, up until doing so violates your conscience as a Christian. For each person, that line is different. But there are some broad strokes that can be applied.

For instance, if we became an oppressor, seeking to expand our power through military conquest. Or if we sought to subjugate another country.

This one is harder to answer. Especially since we no longer have involuntary service, and likely never will again. However, the answer is much the same as above. If I were given orders to carry out wholesale slaughter of innocents, I would not have carried them out, and would have been tried.

Currently, or system is set up to where any lawful order does not violate my conscience. Hopefully it stays that way.

The only exact answer I can give is "not yet". I'm sure there is a line that America could cross, but even then, it wouldn't be the country, but the government.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    100 megaton bomb detonated underwater off the coast of Florida would send 300 ft tidal wave across the entire peninsula - pretty scary.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At what point is this crushing, incomprehensible, 20 trillion dollar debt (growing at an ever expanding rate) finally going to be the 'determining factor' for what this nation meddles in?

• Like Like x 1
  14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding answers!

One of the concerns pastors are going to be confronted with, should the Lord wait a long time to return, is teaching on this matter.

Teaching the discernment in regard to conscience is very necessary, yet a bit tricky, too.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mama Mia!!

HankD

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical of the BB, the threads do tend to wander.

Anyone want to respond to Van or Sapper answers?

If a teen came and sat across your desk and ask these questions, how would you respond.

The “when” is the important component, not the “if” or “what”. Those are presupposed in the questions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the questions pertained more to a youthful viewpoint.

When you're older you're more worried about whether you can influence the institution or steer the smaller formation if things get to turning ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no doubt that GOD has intervened in, and directed many wars. he directed Abraham's band against their enemies. He directed the Israelis in their conquest of Canaan.

There's no doubt God caused Nebuchadnezzar to be successful & accomplish His will by conquering Tyre and Egypt.

In more-modern times, He intervened in both world wars. many people today don't realize how close the Axis powers came to winning WW2. There are many things that, had Hitler only done one of them differently, WW2 woulda had a different ending. Had he allowed his forces to have taken Dunkirk, then forced the BEF to have surrendered, Britain's resolve and resources woulda been greatly weakened. Then, Hitler coulda invaded the British Isles and at least forced them outta the war, leaving him free to attack the USSR with everything he had. or, Hitler coulda kept peace with the USSR & partnered with Stalin & japan to rule the world between them.

The battle of Midway turned the tide against japan. The USA won it largely by luck, and, I believe, a good deal of Divine intervention. After Midway, Japan simply couldn't replace its carriers and trained pilots, mechanics, and sailors fast enough to keep up with the Allies.

The Iraq war? Supposedly, it was fought cuz the USA was convinced Saddam had some WMDs available, but none were found. I believe God caused it to be fought cuz Saddam was trying to rebuild the city of Babylon, after God said it'd never be rebuilt. I don't think it was merely by chance that the USA used the "Babylonian" buildings Saddam made for artillery practice.

But I believe the ULTIMATE cause of all war is man's failure to worship God. After all, the canaanites were long-time idolators when the Israelis came to conquer them. And whenever Israel, and later israel or judah lost a war, it was because of a general prevalence of sin & idolatry among them. That was when He allowed "heathen" nations to subdue & rule them.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another denial, another distinction without a difference nit pick, and absolutely no discussion of the content. LOL

When did I decide to stand (at attention being a Vet) for the colors and National Anthem? When the question arouse! Our attitudinal responses are embedded in our character. All those NFL players have stood many times, they are disrespecting the flag as a Leftist ploy. Think of Gettysburg and all those who died to make men free.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, and all those sorry dillusioned brainless southerners shouldn’t even share the same earth. They should have all been left to rot in the sun or better stacked like cordwood and burnt. Take down the memorials, because they are ugly reminders of ugly people who dared to stand as free men to defend their rights as free men.

The above is offered as sarcasm!

Van,

Again, the discussion isn’t about bashing anyone or anything!

It is about the WHEN, not the “what” or the “why.”

Permit me to clarify one of the questions by suggesting this picture.

Place yourself as dead and are now standing before The Christ. Would you pledge allegiance to a country (any country) on this earth?