1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Military Medals

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's not so much a "military" matter as much as it is an Army matter. During recruit training back in '73, the Coast Guard needed helicopter pilots. So, it recruited Army Air Warrant Officers who had been RIFed in the Army's post-combat draw down. They went through a three-week familiarization period at CG Training Center-Alameda. They went through as E-3 Seamen (PFC). It was noticeable on Friday dress inspections that the men of Sierra Company had more ribbons than the long-serving inspecting E-9 CPO.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire, I think you are right - the Army does issue a lot more awards and medals.

I have always said that the only reason the Army issued the Army Service Ribbon was because it is hard to gig a GI that has no awards.

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to wonder about that author's qualifications to write an article on medals, being as he was unaware of an ARCOM W/ V device or the basic history behind the Bronze Star Medal (hint: it was originally intended to be named the Ground Medal, and awarded in a similar manner as the Air Medal). Also, his mention of choosing his branch based solely on the amount of TDY it paid does little to establish his credibility.

That said, there are some issues with the awards system. We could have skipped the GWOT Service medals and went straight for Afghanistan and Iraq Campaign medals, and why did New Dawn need a medal? Oh, because politics.

5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I had a hard time reading through the bitterness and denigration of enlisted men. I quit reading it.

That said, there are a few awards which should have stricter rules. Like the GWOT. Many of us got that simply for joining when we did. I can see giving it to people who actually deployed to combat terrorism, but not just for joining during a terrorism campaign.

As far as "attendance" awards, he knows nothing about awards. Who here got a good conduct medal six months in? For me, it was awarded every three years, and even the lowest article 15 started the time period over.

I will readily agree that some overhaul could be used. But this guy is an idiot.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may have been that most of the chopper pilots had flown UH-1 Iroquois (Hueys) and the AH-1 Cobra (Snake) in combat. Army Warrant Officers received a disproportionate number of combat citations because of the nature of their jobs (DFC-Distinguished Flying Cross being one of them). That includes a disproportionate number of MOHs (Medal of Honor).

Most of these guys joined the Army right out of High School, at only 18 years of age. (The Army Warrant Officer Flight Training program was often referred to as "High School to Flight School.")

By the time they were RIFed (Reduction In Force) most of them had 5 to 10 years of service (making them only 23 to 28 years old), often including multiple tours in combat, which generates a lot more fruit salad than sitting at a desk and planning training exercises. :)

[In the interest of full disclosure: Been there. Done that.] :)

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering at the time, Hueys were the backbone of the CG chopper fleet, it's not surprising that these men were recruited. Mind you, Coast Guard recruit training cadre was not a bunch of desk jockeys. It was just another shore rotation for Boatswain and Gunners Mates. My boot pusher was a Master Chief Gunners Mate on a sunset tour.

• Like Like x 1