1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Military Servicemen refused service !

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, May 15, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today I was informed of a military servicemen who was refused service when he entered a local BP station in uniform. The owner and emloyees are all of middle east descent. I have no knowledge of anyones religious affiliation.

I stopped at the BP after work and asked the fellow behind the counter if it was true. He stated that it was "two other employees".

A rally by a local bike gang has been planned to be held in front of the store. Every business in the county has received an email about the story.

Hardee County Florida is a sparcely populated area with phosphate, cattle, and oranges as its main industries. That kind of behavior doesnt fly in these here parts.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't give that BP station any of my business unless the owner apologizes and promises very firmly that such a thing will not be tolerated at his station.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Be careful. This one has made the rounds at Snopes.com. There have been quite a few versions of the story out there, in some cases, seemingly planted by competitors of the businessmen owning the stores.

Make sure it's true, or you might be an unwitting part of someone's business plan.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally went to the store and asked the employees behind the counter. They responded with "it was the other employees". There is quite an uproar in this area as a result of it.

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Here's another example where people said "they knew someone who said it happened."

As for the Hilton Head, South Carolina, version of the legend, we spoke to the manager of the Wild Wing Cafe about the rumor. He said the story was "a complete lie" and that "we support our troops 100%", adding that they'd "had a group of 15 Marines in just the other night." He provided us with a copy of the denial the owners of the establishment have circulated to those who have asked about the rumor. Because it's incredibly lengthy, we won't quote all of it here, but here are some key excerpts from it:
    There are a number of ridiculous claims in this e-mail. There is no ban on Wild Wing Cafe according the CO of the base. There was no radio story. And most importantly WILD WING CAFE SUPPORTS THE PRESIDENT, THIS MILITARY ACTION, OUR COUNTRY AND THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN WHO RISK THEIR LIVES TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM.

When this rumor first began last week we talked to our staff and found that there was an incident in the past week or so where a handful of Marines, male and female (not in uniform) came to our door after ten PM. One of the young men did not have an ID to prove him to be 21 or older. He was refused entrance. His companions went inside for several minutes and left him outside. As they left they were very vocal about us "not letting in their friend because we were against the war." We believe that this incident was the genesis of this rumor.

Over the years Wild Wing Cafe has been proud to be supportive of the community. We have sponsored your teams and schools, your kids and their organizations. Now we are asking for your support. When someone tells you that Wild Wing Cafe won't serve the military as a protest to this war, tell them in no uncertain terms, that is a lie.

Snopes.com

In this particular case, the scam ended up hurting a businessman who completely supports the president and the war, as well as the troops.

This time, it seems to have been in revenge for not serving an underaged person. Be really careful. And skeptical. This kind of thing would make headlines if true.

Snopes has the sensible approach, I think:

We expect many more communities to be visited by the "shunned serviceman" story before it fully runs it course. It is, after all, the sort of shocking tale those angered by the anti-war movement will find great comfort in because it vilifies those who decry the current military action by presenting them as being against not only the war, but also against the men and women who are willing to risk their lives in the service of their country.

I can see you getting upset about it. Just don't hurt people for no reason. Gossip is always a destructive thing.