1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Milk and Meat

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Nov 10, 2006.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Some still need to be feed milk, they still need to be taught to trust in Jesus, believe in Him, repentance and being washed through His word.

Those of you who are in the meat not only can feed themselves, but others

2. psalms109:31

scripture

Hebrews 5:12
    In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It all depends on how small the meat is cut up. The meat I feed my 14 month old is a lot different than the meat I feed myself, in size, texture and chewability (since he only has 8 teeth). I think the misperception is once you are "off" milk, you move right on to the 16 ounce T-bone, which is not the case. While my wife is a newer Christian (6 years), she is not ready to feed herself along with the "big boys" yet. It still has to be cut up and examined before given to her. The learning (and growing) curve is different with everyone...in physical nature, and spiritual.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Great post and to add sometimes you have to chew the meat for the baby then put the chewed meat in their mouth.

Also, a good glass of milk goes well with a meal no matter how old you get. You don't remove milk from your diet, you add meat.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

A couple questions that have baffled me on the milk/meat issue:

What precisely is considered to be "milk," and what precisely is "meat"?

Who determines what is "milk" and what is "meat"?

Is there some kind of boundary line, i.e., up to this certain point X is "milk," but beyond that point X is "meat"?

Hopefully some of my BB friends can help me answer these questions.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always thought the "milk" was the fundamentals of the faith...and the "texture" increased from there as one grew in their faith. You have to remember that from milk comes yogurt (thicker) and cottage cheese (even thicker). You THEN move on to the "meat". As LeBuick pointed out, though, even us carnivores can still use a good tall glass of cold milk quite often to make sure the meat goes down!

7. psalms109:31

Hebrews 6
    1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[Or from useless rituals ] and of faith in God, 2instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3And God permitting, we will do so.

Maturity is being a light to the world so they will see our good deeds and praise our Father in Heaven

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Heb 5:12
    For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
    Heb 5:13
    For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    Heb 5:14
    But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

This should answer the question for you.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So, infant = milk and adult = meat. This leaves a lot of room in between. Do we go from spiritual infant to spiritual adult immediately?

10. psalms109:31

Good and bad

Hebrews 5:
    14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

11. psalms109:31

Law and grace

Under the law we lived our life to try to save ourselves, under grace we live for other.

If eating meat that is sacrificed to idols causes my weaker brother to stumble I will never eat meat again.

Everything is permissible for me, but not everything edifies.

You might say food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will destroy both of them.

Those of us who are in the meat use in it our lives that we may destinguish between good and evil. It is a growing process, by applying God's word to our lives

We no longer live a life to save our self, but now we live our life for Jesus that others may see our good deeds and praise our Father in heaven

12. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm... milk and meat is a very interesting topic...

1. Does an adult only eat meat?
    2. Does an infant only drink milk?

What is milk?
    Think of an infant who sucks milk from a bottle or such. Is the infant drinking the milk because he loves it like I would a heaping bowl full of double chocolate fudge brownie ice cream with hot fudge, carmel, nuts, Oreo's, chocolate chips, Reese's Cups, cookie dough, cheese cake, fudge chunks, ketchup, etc... (all fat free and low in sugar of course). Maybe. But most infants are drinking milk just to stay alive. Milk must be the fundamentals of "being saved" that keep a Christian "alive."

Meat must be anything else:
    Geneologies, history, geography, where Cain got his wife, the father of Moses, how Jonah lived in the whale/great fish/big water thingey, interpretation of Song of Solomon, verses that "preach against wine/strong drink," verses that suggest/allow wine, verses that sound Calvinistic, verses that sound "free-will"-ish, why the rod of Aaron budded, whether or not man could have drowned himself before he sinned, how Satan fell when he was in heaven, who the sons of God and the daughters of men were, how mighty David's mighty men were, whether or not Moses preferred Coke or Pepsi, how many hours it took Moses to build the ark, who the lewd fellows of the baser sort in Act 17:5 were, what an apple of gold in a picture of silver looks like, how much trans fat was in manna, how many fingers and toes the six-fingered, six-toed giant of II Samuel 21:20 had, and many others... :thumbs:

13. psalms109:31

meat

It is good to make light the meat of God's word, because many who crying for it isn't ready.

People want wisdom to be given to us even solomon who was given it but put it to the test, found out eventually wine, work, money, many wives and everything that is not new under the sun, cannot bring happinees only God can.

Wisdom is given to us through God's word, now all we have to do is apply it to our lives.

We have an awesome foundation, what are you building on it, or you just waiting on God just to hand it down to you?

Maturity comes when you have trained yourself to distinquesh between good and evil.

Knowledge will not get you any where. You have to not just know solid food, but to put it to use.

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

As I suppose Jeep Dragon was trying to say, I still have questions on the milk/meat issue.

Since prophecy wasn't mentioned in the Hebrew passage that lists some/all of the "milk" topics, is it therefore "meat"? Or would simply some aspects of it be meat and some aspects of it be milk? If so, who decides which aspects of it are in which category?

I could ask the same about the topic of the church as well. Which aspects of it are milk and which are meat? Who decides which is which?

These are just two examples. There are others as well.

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You are still not understanding the passage in question.

We get the milk/meat metaphors from only one place that I know of.

Heb 5:12
    For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
    Heb 5:13
    For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    Heb 5:14
    But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Don't try to establish a line where one does not exist.

Milk=the first principles of the oracles of God. These would be the basic doctrines of God. Who He is and who we are. Who Christ is and our need of Him. etc...

Meat= the weightier things of righteousness and holiness. These are they who are able to TEACH!. These be they who by reason of USE have EXCERCISED their spiritual sense and can discern (or tell the difference) between good and evil. You say, "Good and evil what?" Doctrine. i.e. the NEXT principles of God as opposed to the FIRST principles of God.

IOW; milk is for they who are not mature enough to teach. It is as simple as that. And THAT is all Paul is teaching by using these metaphors.

16. psalms109:31

Righteousness

When the church preaches righteousness members may say i'm glad that i am under grace.

The difference from being under the law compared to be under grace is if we fall or make a mistake and turn back we don't have to worry about being turned into a pillar of salt, or being struck down dead for carrying the arc wrong. We can get back on the path to righteousness. The road to maturity has a lot of bumps and bruises, but stay on the path.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

AMEN!

When Jesus said narrow he meant it.

18. psalms109:31

love

1 Corinthians 13: 1

If I speak in the tongues[Or languages] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[ Some early manuscripts body that I may boast] but have not love, I gain nothing.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Love you Brother.