1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ministering by assumption

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was in a convention where lip service was given to believing the Bible. They would openly proclaim they believed the Bible but when it came time to doing something they were not anywhere to be found.

Since the time I had a lot of trouble with antagonists in a church I pastored and people gave lip service to believing the Bible, I have read some good books on the subject of antagonists in the church.

They are:
    The Peacemaking Pastor: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Church Conflict by Alfred Poirier

Clergy Killers by G.Lloyd Rediger

Antagonists in the Church by Kenneth Haugk

Wounded Minister, The: Healing from and Preventing Personal Attacks by Guy Greenfield

Character Assassins: Dealing with Ecclesiastical Tyrants and Terrorists by Peter Hammond and Brian Abshire

The church is a place where antagonists can be welcomed and gain an audience. Whereas in the workplace they would be terminated. Too many do not see antagonists as those who are out to destroy and the leaders in a church must protect the flock from the wolves (antagonists).

Antagonists can wreck an otherwise good pastor and congregation. Typically they are people who troubles in other areas of life and if given the opportunity would cause trouble in other places too.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two distant relatives, my Great, Great Grand Father and his brother were Circuit Riding Preachers. One was Methodist and the other was Church of God. We're talking late 1800's.

I've often thought that perhaps the best way to preach the Word is via Evangelists. At least this way there would be no pressure for any congregational clique to exert on any preacher..., but this is just wishful thinking. I know it wouldn't work.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks for posting those resources.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Yes, as a preacher I try to preach the truth, which sometimes stings us, but we need that. We need to be convicted of our sins and correct what we are doing wrong. We need to repent, meaning to turn away from our sins. How can we repent without conviction? The preacher is tasked with preaching the whole counsel of God.

I don't get up in the pulpit with the objective to step on toes. Oftentimes I do not know why God has put something on my heart to preach until later, sometimes never. I preached on forgiving one another once, and later found out a person in the congregation was having trouble with that. She ended up repenting and forgave that person she had a problem with. I don't take credit for that, but obviously God wanted that message to reach her ears. One is not preaching unless Christ is being set forth and praised, the word of God is being honored, and sin is being confronted and dealt with biblically.