1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ministry in the Church

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Bible Student, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

The following was stated in another thread.

My question is "Are pastors the only ones who are to visit the sick, conduct a Bible Study, etc."

The church ministry is the responsibility of the entire church body, not just the Pastors. The pastor should lead and direct but that does not mean he has to be involved in every activity. There should be members who have the ability to do ministry if the church is healthy. IMOH

What do you say?

Richard [​IMG]

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well I agree. We used to be the kind of church that expected the pastor to do it all, but he left, over worked. We got a new pastor 7 years ago, he said right off the bat he wasn't going to do it all(must have spoken with teh previous pastor), and that it was up the church to minister, he was our leader an teacher. And our church has flourished since and started many new ministries to serve both in our church and outside it. We've see God pour out his blessings like we've never seen before.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

If we are following the Acts paradigm, it would seem the pastor is primarily responsible to feed the people spiritually and the ministers (congregation) are responsible for most of the hands-on type ministry.

I think pastors should be who they are -- build on and focus upon your strengths and surround yourself with people who are strong in your areas of weakness. Some pastors are very people-oriented and are strong in hospital visitation, etc. Others are strong visionaries, communicators, and administrators. Others are a good combo of both (although fewer would fall into this category).

Bottom line: be who God gifted you to be and (in the wisdom of John Maxwell) -- find a church that matches you and understands your gifts. If not, you are in for a long road.

Just my opinion.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How arrogant for me, as senior pastor/elder, to assume I am the ONLY one who can minister!

And what a JOY to have other men (and women) who can share the burden of ministry. The body must work together.

I realized long ago that I COULD do just about every job in the church and probably do it BETTER than some folks. But what was I doing?

I was acting like a parent of a 6-month old. They HAVE to do everything and the baby is, well, just a baby. But if you don't let the baby crawl and walk and feed himself (what a mess!) et al, he will stay a baby.

Convinced some pastors who do "everything" want their people to remain babies . . and remain passive and loyal and unthinking and obedient.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

God has given each of us Spiritual Gifts that are to be used in order to edify the church, It is the responsability of the church to ensure that the membership have the opportunity to use those gifts.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our task on earth is make and train disciples. It is the pastors job to "farm out" some tasks to trained individuals in the church. We on the other hand, need to train up those under us.

Rob

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed, every Pastor should be training his replacement.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree. We have a disciple class every week besides the teaching and preaching on Sunday and Wednesday.

Our church has many ministries and it would be impossible for the Pastor to do everything. It takes a lot of prayer, study and meditation to produce three sermons a week.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

A disciple class, that sounds like a really good idea. :cool: