1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minium wage

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Mar 5, 2010.

1. targus

targus New Member

I find this to be very surprising coming from you.

Who is forcing you to work at that job?

What have you done in the last three years to improve your job skills?

I don't understand the indignation over low skill jobs going to the lowest bidder.

Why on earth would a rational person expect an employer to pay them more than a job is worth just because they are American?

When you go shopping do you travel from store to store until you find the highest price before buying something?

Where is that libertarian/constitutionalist spirit?

#21 targus, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I know some kids that are good at forever asking questions..... but this takes the cake...... supposedly coming from a mature adult.

Question upon question leading to nowhere.... but a waste of time.

Where's the IGNORE button?:smilewinkgrin:

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The escalation of minimum wage means the escalation of how much I pay for a hamburger/fries/cold drink at BK----I mean---I'm standing there ordering my value meal looking back in their kitchen thinking---"That dude there is getting $7.25/hour to put mustard/mayo/pickle on a bun and then throw on a piece of meat!!!"

Then I go over to Wally World and there's a little lady passing my food over a scanner---thats all she does---passes my food over a scanner--then the scanner computes--I give her the bula-bula--the register registers the amount and gives me back proper change--------she's done nothing but pass my food over a scanner and kinda sorta halfway sacked my groceries

What kind of skill does it take to put mayo on a bun??

What kind of skill does it take to scan my groceries??

Then answer me another question along the same lines

There are at least 3(that I know of) auto manufactorers/assembly plants here in the state of Alabama---Honda, Mercedes-Benz/Hondai---and I think about this often----------how much skill does it take to put a tire on a axle and then lug it down----or put a light bulb in a socket on the back left side of car???

Can someone on the BB do a job/cost comparison between the skill level jobs at BK verses the skill level jobs over at Honda???

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point exactly -
    Here in the Salt City, the council has voted a "living wage" which is above minimum wage for all city job including contract jobs - that includes the teen who sits in a city parking lot taking a $5 bill from drivers who park in the city lot. Oh my goodness

Salty

PS I don't think anybody has answered if Jack got the shaft in the example I gave in my post # 13

5. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Great post BB
    And thanks for return to topic:
    As you point out.... many jobs do not require much skill beyond punching a time card and repeating what one is taught to do while on the job: For that matter...... though 'education' may be required for 'entry' or employment..... so little beyond the basic of it is used in many jobs.

As long as the raw products and resources, the industry to turn them into products and profit, and the employment and the economy are contained within the country..... it all becomes relative to the other of supply and demand.

But when any of these areas get imported or outsourced..... The economic stability and the prosperity of a people and their standard of living and the revenue needed by government becomes a reflection of the global markets and their health.

For about the last 4 decades, the mantra has been by the globalist that the US is moving towards a 'service' economy: We've outsourced our industry to areas where the wages are less: Almost all of our industry is gone. We've eroded the purpose of 'protectionism' and made this a bad word (globally), What used to be meant by 'free markets' including the quality and regulations contained within the country...... has been changed by the globalist to mean literally the free global markets..... thus decieving most people through the meaning of this term originally.

The globalist/economist are succeeding; Instead of service...... we are now the military servants of the world and becoming servants to our own government. War is one of our 'products'. Much like Greece, more and more of our people are employed by the government .......and to do what? .......to deliver government services to the people. The government makes no real product and has no real industry: More and more people 'owe' their jobs to the government..... and thus create a demand for government to expand.....

Efficiency reduces employment and expansion, but inefficiency creates the need for more to do the same job......and there are more wanting entrance to a government job (which expands government and its inefficiencies)......... while others come more and more under dependancies created by the lack of viable livelihood and real industry and changing economy.
    (I'm feeling exhausted so I'll break off here and let other's resume discussion.)

#25 windcatcher, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  6. targus

targus New Member

IMO - the people who are concerned about the minimum wage are those who never bothered to obtain an education or never bothered to acquire valuable job skills.

Say whatever you wish about me - but I'm not the one that is working for minimum wage and whining about it.

I have no concerns about my financial future or the financial futures of my children.

My wife, my children and I all either hold post graduate college degrees or are currently working on one.

My youngest son graduated valedictorian of his class and is currently a graduate student at Cornell University.

My oldest son graduated valedictorian of his class and formerly was employed as an automotive engineer at GM until his department was cut due to the government take over of GM.

Instead of whining about it he decided to go back to school and is currently enrolled in the University of Michigan Law School. His goal is to become a patent attorney. Before even entering the progam he has received multiple jobs offers at law firms.

In our spare time my wife and I are forming a business, writing a book, and developing a series of classes and seminars to offer at colleges in our area.

You become what you think about.

Continue to focus on the minimum wage and that is where you will find yourself for a long time.

Imagine something greater and eventually it will become reality.

7. targus

targus New Member

The purpose of the questions are to stimulate the reader to think about the topic and form their own answers.

Answers simply spoon fed do not encourage growth.

They foster a sense of dependance much like the minimum wage.

The answer for anyone who wants more than the minimum wage is simple.

Acquire a skill and then EARN IT.

8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Dear Brother Targus,
    so I suppose you boast IN THE LORD without whom nothing which you and yours have done would be possible. Right?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or is this just another way to say you are jealous.

I would like to commend Targus for being sucessful. I am no where near as "sucessful" as he is, but "I am satisified with a cottage below".

Salty

ps, I work for not that much more than minium wage - and I am against the minium wage law.

10. targus

targus New Member

I a merely pointing out the difference that one can effect in one's life by striving to do better.

The Lord created whatever intelligence and drive that I possess but at the same time it is necessary for me to co-operate with Him.

BTW - why the attitude?

11. billwald

billwald New Member

>The problem with Min Wage increases are the price increases that always goes with them..

Someone please explain how this works with respect to the "law" of supply and demand. If people are not willing to pay the new price then sales should drop. Yes, blood pressure pills have an inelastic demand but new cars and ice cream don't.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

REAL proud of yourself, aren't you?

Unfortunately, it's business owners like you that create the problems the real workers have to deal with.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its business owners like him that provide jobs.

BTW, you do not need an educations to start your own business.
    Oh, I forgot, if you are self employed its lots of work - there is no such thing as a 40 hour week.

Salty

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I think the minimum wage law should apply to Congress. But it should be their MAXIMUM wage. Most of them are already wealthy when they get there. Congress was never intended to be a lifetime full-salaried position anyhow.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Does not compute.

16. targus

targus New Member

Actually, I am no longer an employer although I am self employed.

When I was an employer I paid my shop employees a percentage of the labor cost charged to the customer for the job that they were working on.

This commission structure in an industry that was highly unionized was a bit unorthodox but the end result was that my employees made much more than they could have in a union shop and I had to babysit them less because they were motivated to get the job done in the most efficient manner possible so they could get strarted on the next job instead of counting how many hours they were working.

No minimum wage and no overtime - and my employees loved it.

You will never become wealthy by trading an hour for a set dollar amount because you have a limited number of hours to sell to your employeer each week.

In my opinion the minimum wage and the union wage are different only in amount.

They are the same in that they both place artificial limitations on the worker.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

>IMO - the people who are concerned about the minimum wage are those who never bothered to obtain an education or never bothered to acquire valuable job skills.

I have a 4 year degree from Clarkson University ne College, get $50K, from my pension, could draw twice that from other investments, have not worked for 14 years, and an concerned about minimum wage.

These days the neo-minimum wage class are formerly retired old people who thought their Republican <G> managed pension funds would be sufficient to live on.

The BIG argument (I think) against minimum wage is that it killed union apprentice programs. 50 years ago a kid could go from high school to an apprentice program and learn a good trade, welding, machinist, electrician, whatever. Now days he must pay to go to a junior college or join the Army and get his legs blown off.

The single mother situation is a social problem, not an economic problem. Unless she is a doctor or lawyer, a single mother will most always live in poverty because there is an economic and social advantage to having two adults in a family.

Maybe civil marriages will help the single mother problem if they are smart enough to take advantage even if not homosexual. Two single mothers could get married for the economic advantage and date males on the side. It would at least solve their baby sitting problem on the weekends.

18. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get where your coming from but just as BP pills are a need so are the products of a lot of places that employ min wage earners, gas stations, grocers, etc. It's not like they say, "Ok it cost $48 more per week to employ each guy here so we are raising the price of a gallon of milk $48".. A nickle here, 3 cents there, a dime back over hear, it adds up quick.

Taxes and Government Mandates on business are ultimately passed on to consumers. Contrary to what the Government seems to believe the past 50 years or so, Business is in the game to make money,not cure the social ills of the Nation. When business cease to meet profit margin goals they either go under,go elsewhere, or go home. The only thing increased operating costs can lead to is loss of jobs or higher prices.

19. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

'Thank you' Salty for judging me: I'm glad when others succeed and rejoice with them.... and I mourn when others fail. God is providing for all my needs. I want nothing which belongs to another. But, if in that you find reason to judge me..... then do what you will. We are all before the Lord.

I already answered your question about the recent wage raise and then a new hire entering when the minimum raise became effective making you both earning the same thing: FYI, I said it happened to me and didn't bother me a bit. If money meant more to me than being useful and mastering my job and using the skills God gave me, I could have bolted and found another job: Even when state worker were being paid more.... if it meant more to me to make money and live far from my parents...... I could have done so..... but those aren't my values: If I made enough to clothe myself, have food to eat, and a dry warm place to lay my head, clean air to breathe and clean water to drink and bathe in..... then I've much to be thankful for there are many in the rest of the world not so blest.

The attitude is that of ownership and thankfulness. And the attitude is that of presumming upon others regarding the reasons and blame for their own conditions without being informed or realistic that conditions of opportunity and circumstance and misfortune do occur: that you can't generalize a judgement upon others that you have not experienced for yourself. Only God can know if given their circumstances in life, whether or not you could have done better or worse.

If the discussion were about government's interference with the economy and the affect of raising the minimum wage.... then you presented very little, if any, contribution to that part. If this were your intent then your discussion could have directed differently.

But throughout this thread there is a spirit of bitterness towards the difficulties in the example of a single mother supporting her child in a beginning job at the minimum wage. There's no empathy or compassion that whatever choice which may come to her might be difficult or that her opportunities may be limited by many factors.... some of her choosing and some beyond her means to make. Instead, there's a bitterness and a resentment about the minimum wage as though it is her fault. Its your lack of compassion and your rush to judgement presumming what others can do and your intolerance without knowing just what may be their conditions..... Then there's a boast of what sounds like a 'self-made' man: No mention of God or indebtedness to his mercy and grace or blessings upon life. One can have so much and its so little without thankfulness, yet one can have so little and it is abundant with thankfulness.... and one can't ever have enough if that is where their trust is, for there is nothing which can be seen but what it can't be removed or destroyed,

Let me just end saying, I'm happy for you that you've done so well.

I would have been happier still if, instead of making the minimum wage and the person who can only find work on that level the focus........
    there had been discussion about the economy, government debt and the running of the press that prints money..... and the effect of that upon the devaluation of our dollar which means we will be spending more to get less..... and it is the economy and the deficits which will affect prices and jobs far more than some little mother raising a child on the minimum wage. .......On down the road..... there will be many a post-graduate student who gets stuck in minimum wage jobs (because it is all they may be able to get), even if they hop hoping something better will open up..... until eventually their degree and skills learned while in school when coupled with their 'supporting' work history, will result in employers shaking their heads 'no' because advances have put their education into obsolescence.

20. Spear

Spear New Member

Hi ! (haha, i'm back :wavey:)

I think the minimum wage is a necessity.

I remember, a long time ago, before 1999, reading that in UK, when there was no minimum wage, Burger King employees were not paid when there was no customer, they had to be present, waiting for an eventual customer, but were paid only on what was sold then ...

A few years ago, there was a tv show, at Planet Hollywood Paris. The owner of the restaurant was complaining about the fact we have too many taxes here, that in the US Planet Hollywood, there were twice more waiters because it was cheaper to hire someone. The reporter asked the boss if he would hire more waiters if the taxes went down. He said (I admit it was honest from him) " No, the service is okay with the waiters we have ".

Many here say that you have to study to improve your skills. I'm an IT Systems Administrator, and, of course, i agree. I " upgrade " as often as possible, and I like it, i like learning.

But I admit that some people don't have the capacity to study as far. And my work is not harder than someone digging holes in the streets under snow, rain or heat. Sure i studied, but they've harder work conditions, worst consequences on their health ... why should they be paid less ?

There was a study on french TV one month ago, saying that blue collars lived 10 years less than white collars. We, the white collars, sit all the day, are well paid, we have ALL the benefit.

Why shouldn't we increase the minimum wage ?

I just heard Julia Roberts earned 3 million US $ to appear 6 minutes in her last movie ... sometimes i wonder how such things can be (yes i know, offer and demand ... but I find this obscene).