1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mission Support

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elsewhere, I am in a discussion about mission support:

Here are a couple of posts:

1) "Maybe I'm misinterpreting the context, but that makes it sound like there's an underlying assumption that missionaries *should*, necessarily, have a "personal responsibility [to] rais[e] support." I don't think that's a biblical notion.
    Paul said that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. While it's certainly not *unfitting* for them to raise funds, I don't believe it's inherently *required* of them to raise funds. The work they do is the preaching of the Word. Other members of the Body may be better suited to fundraising, and able to keep the missionaries free to focus on what God has called *them* to do, without distraction."

2) "just had some imb missionaries in our church a few weeks ago. They called over 100 churches looking for opportunities to share what God was doing. Only about 30% returned their phone call. Less than half of that found time for them to come and share."

3) "As a missionary who has spent years on both sides, maybe I can help with this. We were independent in Honduras for 11 years. We never raised the support we needed and were thinking of returning to the US. As God challenged me with our call to missions, and SBC missionaries encouraged me to apply to the board, I did that, and we’ve been IMB since 1998. We have stronger connections with Stateside churches than ever, our prayer support is greater, people we’ve never met regularly pray for us, we no longer visit churches hoping they will support us, and we are genuinely thankful for the thousands of SBC churches that support our ministry through the Cooperative Program and the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. We have never been delayed in getting back to the field. Our needs are met. We are truly blessed.
    We’ve seen missionaries who are great missionaries who constantly struggle with finances because they aren’t good fundraisers. We’ve seen others who don’t seem to be very good at being missionaries who are highly supported. The IMB takes out that inequality. Did I say thank you to all of your churches who support us? THANK YOU! And Merry Christmas!

Now before you IFB'ers jump all over me - our SBC church does support the CP, and in addition we support a IFB missionary under BMM - as well as a local Christian ministry.

All I'm suggesting is that we look at both sides of the issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only experience has been with non-SBC boards, Baptist World Missions, International Baptist Missions, and Baptist Mid-Missions. Each is doing a proper job. Keep in mind, when the going gets tough (if not dangerous) it's the mission board that gets the 2 AM SOS call from Lower Slobovia not a pastor in the middle of Kansas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in Germany -I was the NEO NCO -(Non-combatant Evacuation Office) It would have been my job to assist civilians to get to safety in case of any adverse situation. Of course, our main purpose was to assist the dependents of military personel as well as DAC's. However any American, regardless of military status or lack thereof- would be eligible for evacuation.
    I had informed the pastor of our local Baptist church, and informed him of that option. He told me that no matter what - he would stay. I told him that it wasnt just in case of an attack by the Russians - but even for natural distaster - ie - floods, fire, ect. He said NOPE! Well, if he wanted to stay fine - but he should have signed up his family members.

BTW - Wildflecken was only about 10 miles from East Germany!

On other thing - I dont believe this missionary was under a mission board - just his stateside local church.

And now back to our discussion of mission boards.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going on deputation greatly increased my faith. I would sometimes pray for hours just to get on the phone and call pastors. I had to learn to lean on God for help in calling pastors, for support (I never asked a church for a single penny), for safety on the road, sometimes for food and lodging. The faith God gave me for these matters was worth every minute of deputation.

When I started deputation, Dr. Monroe Parker (the BWM director at the time) told me that it would be like seminary. And so it was. As the missionary visits churches he learns much about how to do God's work from "successful" and "unsuccessful" pastors. IMB missionaries don't get much of this blessing.

As for support, by the time we got to the field we were 100% supported. There were times when finances were very difficult, such as when the dollar/yen rate went down to 70 yen per dollar--it was 120 when we first arrived. Such times are difficult for IMB supported missionaries also. God taught us faith, provided all of our needs, and guided us to our next location--Hokkaido, where it was much cheaper to live.

One thing the IMB denominational method does not provide is prayer support. I went to Japanese language school with the IMB missionaries. One day I shared with one of them the deputation method. He was amazed and jealous of all the churches that supported us by prayer--never mind the dollars!