1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mission Trips and Passports

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by racer84, Jan 4, 2007.

1. racer84

racer84 New Member

If a mission trip is in your plans for 2007, please update yourself on the new passport rules for getting in and out of the USA. I think this is the new plan, but it bears checking out if you are planning a summer mission trip. If you are flying out of the USA, you will need a passport, effective 1/1/07, even to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean area. If you are crossing the border by car or foot, you will need a passport effective 1/1/08. They are coming out with a new "passcard" which will be credit card size, good just for Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean, but I don't think it is available yet. Aren't there certain cities where you can get a Passport fairly quickly? Some sites are noting that it takes up to 3 months to get a passport. Is this correct?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I got a passport last year and it took about 6 weeks.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Ours expire this year and it takes a few weeks to renew them. Took about 8 weeks to get them the first time.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm taking about 60 high-schoolers to Canada. We're driving...which technically means we don't have to have passports. But I've been told, by someone who works with the State Department, that it would be to our advantage (greatly) for everyone to have one. Speeds things up in a huge way. So I'm requiring them.

I'm making all my deposits non-refundable, and giving "suggested" deadlines for Passport application, etc. And I'm really clear...my rule this year: no Passport, no trip.

But then again, when it comes to camps and mission trips, I'm a control freak.:tongue3:

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My passport expires in '10

I keep it in a fire proof box ---- as an SBC pastor-------------I just never know when I'll have to "leave the country":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My passport in 1999 took 5 weeks. You can expedite with more money.

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

True, we renewed one last year. Took a little more than a week. But we paid about $60 or $70 extra at the time, as I recall.
    But in addition, to accomplish this, there were two overnight mail USPS fees, one to send, one to receive. Both paid at the time of application, in addition to the extra expediting fee.

In other words, if you really need it fast, you can get it fast, but you will pay a lot more.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most of my family live a few miles south of the Canadian border and tell me differently especially if you are with children.

9. racer84

racer84 New Member

Do you mean you need the passport or not. What if the children are yours?

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Until they get the new card up and running, a passport is worth the money. Especially if you have kids. We cross the USA-MX border frequently and the passports help things move along much more smoothly.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

YES, YES, YES! Get the passport. We just went across from MX to the USA and they gave us grief because our youngest son did not have a picture ID. Both sides of the southern border are stricter about this now. And i imagine all other access points are likewise.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Also, you may need to have at least two free pages for VISA's, if the country you are visiting requires visas. May have to add pages.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

My answer was from someone at the state department (US)...but as you can see, differing answers illustrates why I am requiring passports this summer. Much safer bet.

In January 2008, I was told, all travel between US and Canada (including land) would require a passport. Right now, only air and water travel from Canada/US do.