1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missionaries

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Servent, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Servent

Servent Member

Why did you become a missionary?

I love doing missions work, working with homeless going on short term trips,witnessing, but there is more to it than that, this week is missions week at church, and I was wondering if some of you would like to give a testimony that I might share with our youth.
    Thanks so much Danny

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, simple answer- 'because God called me.'

It can be difficult, even dangerous at times. Requires a daily (if not hourly or minute-by-minute) walk with the Lord. But in the end it is such a great blessing to see people's lives changes as they come to Christ and grow in the faith.

(You might ask the mods to move this to the missions/witnessing section, most of the missionaries on the BB post there more frequently.)

God bless you and pray you have a great conference!

Mex

3. Servent

Servent Member

How can I get someone to move this the Missions/Witnessing fourm.

4. Servent

Servent Member

I guess sometimes missionaries dont even share.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From our website

I was born in Oklahoma and grew up in a pastor’s home. I was saved at age four while my father was away in an evangelistic meeting. I remember definite conviction of sin while lying in my bed considering the merits of becoming an old man and having a death bed” conversion. I felt that I wanted my way all my life, but still wanted to go to Heaven. However, I finally went to my mother and told her I wanted to be saved. She led me to the Lord using John 3:16, which I had memorized.

I dedicated my life to the Lord at 16. When I was a senior in high school the Lord called me to preach. The call to be a missionary came as a sophomore at Tennessee Temple University during the annual missionary at Highland Park Baptist Church. As a missionary from Japan spoke the Lord seemed to be saying, “Would you go to Tokyo, Japan, if I asked you to?” A weeklong struggle culminated in a further surrender to the will of God, wherever it may take me. After graduation in 1976, God confirmed the missionary call to be to Japan through veteran missionary Jim Norton and His Word in Romans 15:20-21, “Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand."

I met my wife while on deputation to go to Japan under Baptist World Mission. The members of the candidate committee that she went before encouraged us to write each other. We wrote and dated until she accepted my proposal of marriage in January of 1979. Patty had prayed that, if it were God’s will, we would be married on May 5. Though I set the date without her saying anything other than that she wanted a spring wedding, we were married on May 5, 1979.

Upon completing deputation we left for Japan on May 4 of 1981. After two years of language school, we moved to Yokohama, where I founded and pastored the Konandai Baptist Church (later Joy Baptist). From 1987 to 1996 I taught at the Grace Baptist Bible School in Tokyo.

In October of 1996 we moved to the northern island of Hokkaido, where I founded the Victory Baptist Church and helped start the Asahikawa Bible Research Institute. We also are active in a literature ministry.

6. Servent

Servent Member

Thank you John, myself and youth group will be praying for your family and you ministry.
    Would you also be in prayer for us as we leave on Dec. 27 for Casa Bethesda, It a handicap children's home in Piedras Negras Mexico. We will be stating there for a few day's working and helping with the children,

7. Servent

Servent Member

Thank you Mexdeaf we will be praying for your family and ministry

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I will. May God richly bless your ministry there, as well as changing the hearts of each one who goes, giving them a greater burden for the lost and the world.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Mexico- that is my corner of the world! I'll pray for you! They have any deaf children at that home? Let me know as we have a camp for the deaf in Mexico every year and they would be welcome to come.

Don't forget to get some tamales while you are there.

God bless you!

10. Servent

Servent Member

You better know it! I love good tamales

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is commanded, and I followed.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Our family pastor was just there Piedras Negras for a death in his family.

It is a very needy part of the world - so close to the narco terrorism in nuevo laredo . . . and so far from good employment and economic security.

But, there are a lot of really good people.

Will be praying for you.

God bless

Wayne