1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missionary Kids are the Best!

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check this out. A home-schooled MK won the Heisman Trophy!! Way to go Tim Tebow!

http://sports.myway.com/news/12082007/v2911.html

I have a special place in my heart for MKs. They often know and live the best of two cultures and two languages. They have friends not only in two countries, but sometimes worlwide through getting to know other MKs in missionary conferences and the like.

When they finally grow up, some of them stay on the mission field, some of them go back to the homeland to live, some of them return to the field as missionaries. Any of these ways can be difficult and may take a lot of adjustment for the MK.

Do you know an MK? I hope you are praying daily for him or her. In fact, pray for a lot of MKs. They're really special. :saint:

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am proud to be a father of two fine MK's. Our oldest and his family are now on deputation to come back to Mexico as missionaries. Our youngest is going off to college soon. Both are multilingual- they can communicate in English, Spanish, American Sign Language (ASL), and Mexican Sign Language (LSM).

Yes our MK's need your prayers, many times they face problems on the mission field and when they go back home that almost no one understands except another MK and the Lord.

Tebow's sister and her husband are also missionaries, by the way. Sounds like a fine family.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I know a few :). And they are pretty special :).

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great posts, guys, amen!

Our own MK tells us he had a real hard time adjusting to Bible college in the States because he didn't have any real friends and didn't know how to make any in America. That was okay with him, though, because he didn't have any real friends for most of his junior high and high school years in Japan, either. To Japanese kids school becomes the center of their existence and they have no time for outside friends. He recovered from that, though, did quite nicely in America and is now in seminary planning to serve God.

In his grade school years here on the field, Paul was a real blessing to the ministry through his friendships with Japanese kids. About 7-8 of them got saved and were faithful to church until either they or we moved away. I'm sure you guys have similar stories, too. MKs are some of the greatest evangelists on the mission field!

5. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

John:

Great post, though it is hard for an Alabama fan to be too excited about a Gator! I don't want to get that started. I'll bet Roger agrees with me on that.

You are a great PK who has raised a great MK. Roger and Mary are parents to some great MKs, one of them who is now a missionary with his own MKs.

If I got started, I would have a hard time listing all the great MKs who are now serving the Lord on the mission field. Even in our limited Baptist World Mission family we have them all over the world, and they are a special breed.

You mentioned the "re-entry" struggles they face. Books have been written about that. I know two brothers who are both in the ministry who grew up on the mission field. They are both excellent pastors and I count them as friends. They have talked about the special issues they faced when coming back to this culture.

The academic name for ex-pat kids who deal with these issues is "third culture kids." I think I reviewed a book by that title for our missionaries.

Anyway, MKs are great people!

FM

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Now you done gone to meddlin'! :laugh: :wavey:

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Moritz, could you possibly be a little bit jealous of the Gators' good fortune in this young man?

Paul is well over his re-entry struggles, but he still hasn't met that special girl, so we're still a long way from grandparenthood. His M. Div. will be done in the Spring, then he wants to go for a Ph. D. in Greek Linguistics under David Alan Black if he passes the entry test. Whew! :cool:

8. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Sir,

Your Son is a great MK. I enjoyed my time with him while working at Maranatha. He also has a great spinning kick! I got to spar with him a few times.... that time I saw stars!
    I would love to send him an email... please send me a private message so I can email him.

Thank you for your service as a missionary and also to your service for Christian martial arts!

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the kind words. I've sent you a PM with Paul's e-mail address. Personally, I stay away from that spinning kick when I spar him!

John