1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mississippi Democrat Wins House Race in Political `Thunderbolt'

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 13, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! This is a stunning defeat for the GOP on its home turf. President Bush won this district by 25 percentage points in 2004 and Roger Wicker, a Republican, got 66% of the vote in 2006.

Mississippi Democrat Wins House Race in Political `Thunderbolt'

By Laura Litvan

May 13 (Bloomberg) -- Democrat Travis Childers won a U.S. House seat in Mississippi, marking the third time this year that the party has triumphed in a Republican stronghold and signaling it may be poised for big gains in the November elections.

Childers got 52 percent to 49 percent for Republican Greg Davis with 83 percent of the vote, according to the Associated Press. Childers will replace Republican Roger Wicker in northern Mississippi's 1st District. Wicker was appointed to the Senate last year.

The Democratic victory extends their majority in Congress to 37 seats, with the prospect of more wins this fall. House Democrats hold a more than 6-to-1 cash advantage over Republicans, who have 26 lawmakers retiring. Both parties poured money into the Mississippi race and Vice President Dick Cheney traveled to the state to campaign for Davis.

The result shows the Democrats can compete everywhere, said Representative Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat who heads the party's House fundraising committee.

- more at www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adWBHeaf3TKM&refer=home

Also, see www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/05/13/ST2008051303490.html

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is really an interesting situation. I think it is as much an indictment of the nasty politics of GOP candidate Greg Davis as it is anything else. Travis Childers, according to every ad I've seen of him, is "pro-life and pro-gun." He's not your average Democrat.

Greg Davis' ads were inordinately inflammatory and misleading. He never really advertised what he stood for. All we know is that he pretty much detested Travis Childers and was against "amnesty."

I don't think his campaign ran some of the questionable ads, but I'm sure they had some kind of wink and nod arrangement for them.

I saw an ad attacking Travis Childers featuring clips from Barack Obama's pastor. That's a major stretch. Childers has probably never been in the same ZIP code as Rev. Wright.

Although I could not vote (being a Tennessee resident), if I were a north MS resident, I would have voted for Travis Childers. I'm a Republican, and Greg Davis' slimy tactics turned me off.