1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mississippi Set To Ban Abortion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JGrubbs, Mar 2, 2006.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Republican Gov. Haley Barbour said Wednesday that he likely would sign a bill to ban most abortions in Mississippi if it's approved by lawmakers.

The state already has some of the strictest abortion laws in the nation. The bill that passed the House Public Health Committee on Tuesday would allow abortion only to save the pregnant woman's life. It would make no exception in cases of rape or incest.

South Dakota lawmakers passed a similar bill last week that was intended to provoke a court showdown over the legality of abortion.

Responding to questions about whether he'd sign a bill with no exceptions for rape or incest, Barbour said: "It hasn't gotten to my desk yet. When one gets there, we'll find out, and I suspect I'll sign it. But I would certainly rather it come to my desk with an exception for rape and incest. I think that's consistent with the opinion of the vast majority of Mississippians and Americans."

Source: Associated Press

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Like President Bush, here is another member of the GOP leadership who thinks it's should be okay to murder innocent babies just because their father has committed a crime. Children who are born to the victims of rape and incest are no less important and deserve the same right to live that everyone else has! It shouldn't matter what the opinion of the vast majority of Mississippians and Americans is, we are not a Democracy, we should do what is right, even if the majority disagree!

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. It would also be nice if the law included money for various kinds of assistance to the victims of those crimes. Counseling, adoption assistance if requested, that sort of thing.

4. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

As I said in a previous post, the rape&incest exception is a strawman. How is the rightness or wrongness of abortion determined by the conditions under which the pregnancy originated?

Either it is write to murder the babies or it is not.

With that said, I'll take any law that lowers the number of abortions.

5. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Hey Debby I believe that sort of thing already exists. I volunteer for a PRC/CPC and part of what we do(aside from counseling) is we help women (and men) get the assistance they need.

With adoptiong, generally speaking the adopting couple pays for all the expenses, hosptial stay included. And if you meet certain financial criteria, medicare will help out quite a bit. (Unless you already have begun seeing a Dr about your pregnancy. )

There are also Maternity Homes women can stay for the duration of their pregnancy. (I don't know much about them, just that they exist)

I think the problem is that most women just don't know about all of their options and where they can go for help.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic.

6. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I know services exist, but I was referring to MANDATORY assistance in the law to these victims to help them bring their babies to term.

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I wrote in the other thread, rape is one of the most poorly punished crimes. There needs to be a massive effort to ensure that rapes are reported, investigated, solved, and punished severely.

Recidivism is almost 50% within 3 years. Liberals proudly proclaim this as a "success" of their counselling and rehabilitation programs since it is lower than crimes involving money. Don't know about you but I am not real thrilled that 50% of the rapists released from prison will do a crime against another woman with permanent effects. Further, I am not satisfied that the last victim has to feel like they must look over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.

Rape should be treated as severely or more severely than murder.

If we keep rapists off of our streets... we can safely assume that the 1% or so of the total abortions resulting from rape would go to nil... then we can concentrate exclusively on the 95%+ that are purely elective without this ridiculous complaining about very significant progress.

The challenge has often been made "What are the Republicans doing about abortion?"

Well.... What now? Does anyone think that this would be happening if Dems had controlled the Presidency, Congress, and the majority of state legislatures? It hasn't been that long ago that Mississippi's legislature was Dem.

The GOP isn't perfect by any stretch but this is progress.

9. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I agree Scott J. I think it is particularly poor when it comes to children being the victims. The punishment definitely does not fit the crime.

I will end with a quote:

"If we allowed an abortion under those circumstances (rape and incest) it would send a terrible message, that when someone reminds you of something extremely painful you can eliminate them. But you can't kill another human being just because their existence makes your life physically or emotionally burdensome.

If I had a law on my desk that restricted abortion except in the cases of rape or incest I would sign it, even though I don't think rape and incest ought to be exceptions. I'd just rather save 98% of the children whose lives are taken through abortion rather than none."
    -Greg Koukl
    Stand To Reason (www.str.org)

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

First South Dakota, now Mississippi...it's good to see the states challenging the federal government and the SCOTUS on the issue of abortion. I agree, while I am 100% pro-life with no exceptions, I think these laws even with the exceptions are a step in the right direction.

If these state bans are challenged in the SCOTUS and the court tries to tell the states they can't ban abortions, I hope the states are willing to ignore the courts and continue to fight the federal government to save the lives of these innoncent children who are being butcherd daily in America!

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing I like least about the "rape & incest" exception isn't necessarily that women who have been raped will run out and have a dnz. Rather, this exception will become the 98%.

IOW's, every elective abortion will be listed as "rape/incest". It will be considered too harsh to the women to make them name their assailant much less to press charges.

That exception is wide open to abuse. The "medical threat" to the life of the mother exception is less clear. But it too is open to abuse, though less so. In actuality, every pregnancy carries some risks to the life and welfare of the mother.