1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed Blessings

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Maverick, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our school got $80,000 worth of computers donated to it by the IRS. Yep, you read that right. Unfortunately, they wiped the drives and now I need 35 legitimate copies of an OS plus either MS Office or WP Office.

I would love to have XP Pro as I tested that on one of the PCs and it found everything just fine and it would be good to teach the kids on current software. However, as always, I am content if we can get NT which is what they were originally loaded with or W2K though the USB ports won't work with NT.

Anybody know a business that would possibly donate the software? Shoot if 35 of y'all updated from W2K to XP and sent me your copy with the license I reckon that would work as well.

Macedonia Christian Academy
    2214 Franklin Drive
    Mesquite, TX 75150.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. NateT

NateT Member

I've heard that MS has "deals" for non-profits and schools. You might go to their webpage and see if they have any info.

You might also try ebay, you can usually buy a lot of licenses there. Of course being a school you might not have any $$

On the office suite, I might suggest open office www.openoffice.org I use it exclusively over any other product. It is free. If you want a CD I think that costs ~ $10. It does everything MS Office can do. It can also save your documents as a MS Office document and read MS Office documents.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The Microsoft non-profit deal is not good, since you have to keep buying updated licenses. It is not a "once for all" deal.

You could put linux on it, and run open office.

Interestingly, I saw a study last week that kids who learn on computers are not as far along as others. I don't remember where I saw it or what the details were. But computers are not the answer to education; it many cases, I don't even think they are helpful. They skip to many of the basics. Our young people too much time in front of computers already. I think we shouldn't add to it unless to teach them some basic programming or typing skills.

4. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have contacted the local MS folks here but no reply yet. I will look into the open office. Much gracias, Amigo!

5. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Larry, since I am a FT tech and can do Windows I am not sure I want to learn Linux, but I will consider it.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does MS have a school program?

7. Dale

Dale New Member

2000 would be your best but for those machines but I would imagine that you will have a hard time finding a good deal on it.
    I think that it is still the best version of windows ever. ALso,. I second the vote for OpenOffice...it is just a good deal all the way around. I use MS ofFice on my Mac but my PC is an HP with Win2k and OpenOffice.

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Open Office works great, I use the Sun Microsystems version of it. (Star Office 7) That can be purchased, and would have support from Sun at a much lower cost from that of MS office. I use in on Win2000, XP, JDS2003 Linux (SuSE), and Sun Solaris 10, and yes, it works on all those operating systems.

I would check into a linux distro, SuSE is pretty good. Or get ahold of Sun and talk to a sales guy about JDS, Something like $50 per user per year or something like that for software, liscense, and support, and it comes with Star Office included, plus several other pieces of open source developed code that would be add ons in the Windows world. Rather than going it alone in the land of penguins, which is a bunch of work for the unintiated. I don't know of any other way around getting ripped off by the evil empire for their inferior operating system.

Check it out here

9. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    if convenience is of utmost interest and benefit, Windows would still be your choice. best bargains i know of can be found at: http://reactionary.agfgnfdg.info/?KZMjgRfzLiRT.2ebicep.

meanwhile, openoffice is a good replacement for MSOffice - no doubt. as for other softwares, most have free counterparts that still meet commercial requirements. you may be interested in browsing www.webattack.com and nonags.com.