1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed Gender Bible Studies?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joe, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

There is an IFB church which doesn't allow "mixed gender" bible studies. It seems the women get the short end of the stick. They don't get to bring their biblical knowledge to the table with men, ever. I imagine this church would feel the BB is a sin too.

Here is the info:

They have Sunday Services & Mid week "bible study" but it's not really a bible study. Pastor preaches whatever verses he chooses (no one knows ahead of time what the verses will be so they can't study on their own). It is "meat and potatoes" preaching directly from the word.

So maybe that qualifies as a bible study since it is studying the Bible.

My concern is the women do not get to interact in a real bible study unless it is with other women in a Women's Only Study. There is no opportunity to study the bible, and come back as a group of men and women to share different views.

The women have their own bible study once a week, but they take alot of time off. Often, there is no Women's Bible Study. And it's not studying the bible directly, just listening to tapes and using a workbook which throws in a bible verse every few pages :confused:

Is this common within Baptist Circles?

Does anyone happen to know of scriptural support for this position?

#1 Joe, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not common among Baptist "circles".
    And I do not know of any Scriptural support for it.
    I think it is entirely up to the pastor.
    If you ask me, I would say that this type of pastor would usually be the "don't-you-dare-go-against-the-'anointed'-of-God" type of pastor who would take all the tithes and offerings, disperse of the funds according as he sees fit, and may or may not post an accounting of the funds.
    I've seen some of these among those of the BBF, both the practice and the pastor.

But I could be wrong.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've divided up in men's and women's classes for a study of the Song of Solomon. We thought there might be more open discussion of the more erotic portions of the text. However, we normally don't divide up.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have been to only one "women only" Sunday school class/small group by choice back in the early 90's, but at that time, I wasn't much interested in mixing with the men freaks at that church at the time. Otherwise, I have always been a part of mixed. Some people prefer gender only groups. Not me.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of texts come to mind that might be possibles.

When I was a child my mother took me to SS and church in a Christian church and the separate classes was their style for the mid to older women. I think the young couples met together but I don't know - could have been separate.

Personally I think separated might be good now and then to see how everyone likes it. It used to be (not so much anymore) that there was more freedom to talk among peers.

We also attended a small SBC church in Wyoming where they separated and it worked quite well. There is was all ages together. I'd guess tradition more than any real reason. It was a very traditional. This was about 15 years ago.

I Tim 2.12 " But I suffer not a woman to teach , nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

Titus 2.3ff " The aged women likewise, that [they be] in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 [To be] discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

I Cor. 14.34 " Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home : for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks alot :) !

I thought of the 1 Tim 2:12 except I couldn't see where a woman would be usurping the authority of a man or teaching.

And 1 Cor 14.34 I considered. Women seem to talk in church but do not interact with the Pastor really during the Sermon. This might be their version of scriptural supportif it means women must be quiet only during the actual church sermon.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have been in both and I prefer the women and men separately.

Too many times, I have seen the wife sit quietly and let her husband do all the talking in mixed groups.

I think it's a Baptist 'thing'.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

I have noticed that also in our church. Kinda odd....

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

we like being in a class together

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Not my wife :)

Seriously, I treasure her input is Bible discussions. Our Sunday night service is adult Bible Study and Sunday School for children. She is teaching a Sunday School class now and I really miss her contribution to the Bible study. The women speak just as much as the men do in our little group of 10-12.

#10 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I love to sit quietly and let my man do the talking.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you sadist you !
    :laugh:

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What is the scriptural support for this idea of a round-table mixed-gender Bible study where everyone shares different views? Is there any example of this in Scripture? Any command for it?

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I've seen the same thing---except reversed!!! I've seen the husbands sit quietly while the wives discuss

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No more than for Sunday School, radio ministries, or Christian schools.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Indeed. It seems that the OP assumed that mixed-gender, round-table, everyone-gives-a-view Bible studies are the norm, and that we need scriptural evidence to depart from it. I don't think that is the case at all.

First, "everyone-gives-a-view" is not necessarily a good way to study the Bible. It introduces a lot of bad doctrine, and puts the teacher in the uncomfortable position of having to correct someone publicly. It can also amount to pooled ignorance since many views are simply that. I think the predominant pattern of Scripture is proclamation rather than discussion. I think that perhaps needs to be given some serious thought as to why it is that way. We have both types of meetings here, and we do it on purpose, but we need to think hard about why we would choose one over the other.

Second, there are both positives and negatives to gender-mixing. We have done and do both from time to time, though most of ours are mixed gender meetings. It is quite often the case that the women are more vocal than men, though I have rarely found it to be the opposite. It is also the case that sometimes topics are better handled in gender-exclusive settings.

17. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We went to a midweek study in a home and the leader read a passage in the beatitudes and asked what it meant. Just about everyone had a thought, some the same, some different. After everyone had their say the leader said, "Well, that was good. I'm not sure what the passage means but I'm sure one of those ideas is the correct one." :tonofbricks:

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the obvious answer to this is the teaching style of Jesus with those he met and among the disciples who followed him closely. Jesus often entered into conversation, asking questions, challenging views, and giving insight. We can see this in John's gospel, and to a lessor extent, Matthew and Luke.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am not sure that is obvious, though I think that is perhaps the only possible biblical justification. I don't think Jesus' style of teaching is what most people think of when they think of a small group Bible study.

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This is really a personal to the congregation issue.

I belong to a larger church and we:

Keep the younger kids (6th grade and below) in mixed groups in SS and Summer Missions. Winter Missions (RA's and GA's) are separate.

Older kids (7th and up) separated in SS and mixed on Wednesday nights.

Adults get to choose. We have a variety of classes both mixed and separate.

Personally, I go to a ladies only class as my husband doesn't attend church with us.