1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed-Racial Marriages

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chet, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Chet

Chet New Member

Recently I was asked for my thoughts on this particular subject. I realize that it can be an extremely controversial one, and one with mixed emotions as many people are a part of racially mixed families. But I would like to seek others insights on this subject from a Biblical perspective only. So all you theologians, I would appreciate you weighing in. :D

Here are some of my thoughts in brief. I believe that God is not color blind as most try to make Him to be. He has created all sort of different people, Black, White, Red, Brown, Chinese, American, Russian, German, Italian, Male, Female. I don’t think anyone should be proud of their nationality or race, but defiantly not ashamed of it. I am not at all prejudice of anyone of any color. I do think that there are differences between races but that is it, just differences. Black people are not better than white, and whites are not better than blacks ect... God is certainly no respecter of persons. And in Christ, we are one.

I do think that Scripture may teach that the mixing of races to be wrong. Scriptures that make me lean in that direction are mostly those that are found within the Old Testament dealing with Israel not mixing with the Gentiles. Of course there were spiritual reasons for not doing so, but perhaps there were other reasons as well. It seems to be in God’s general will for mankind to reproduce in within their race. Eventually any race, white/black/red/brown would vanish if everyone were to mix, thus leaving only one. Also we have in Genesis 11 the separation of all tongues, thus seemingly that God want’s us to be separate peoples.

In the New Testament Acts 17:26 seems to indicate we have boundaries, and an
    examination of different versions would probably be appropriate: And He has made
    from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has
    determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, NKJV

Timothy was from a mixed marriage:

Acts 16:1 He came to Derbe and then to Lystra, where a disciple named Timothy lived,
    whose mother was a Jewess and a believer, but whose father was a Greek.
    NIV

And often this passage is used in support of mixed marriages:

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. NIV

But I think that there is a key phrase, and that is in Christ Jesus. This verse is speaking from a spiritual perspective, in that no matter who you are, you are one in Christ and one in the Body of Christ. We are all in the same Family, and in the same Church. To say there is no difference in God’s eyes between Greek or Jew, then we would also have to say the same for male or female and then conclude that same sex marriages are deemed all right, and we know that is wrong! And it is evident that there are difference in the way different peoples resond to different things. i.e the Jews seek after a sign, while Greeks seek after wisdom. Different, not wrong.

Well, I will certainly look forward to any thoughts on the matter...

With love for all peoples,

Chet

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I don't think anybody ought to be proud of their nationality or race, but definately not ashamed of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very proud of my American heritage, thank you very much, and I'm also proud of my Irish ancestry.

As for the rest of your post... :rolleyes:

Mike

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I for one have no problem whatsoever with mixed race marriages, as long as both parties have prayed in earnest, spoken with their Pastor, and ideally their families approve.Moses married a Black woman as recorded in Numbers 12, so unless he was a Black man, this was an interracial marriage!Of corse his brother and sister complained, but God did not rebuke Moses in this passage, but the complainers! BTW, this is personal for me, because I am a White man who grew up in Kentucky, met my wife at the church I used to be Asc Pastor in Brooklyn, and we've been married happily for seven years...she is from the Carribean (Jamaica)...that means for those of you who are geographically challenged;she's Black! ;) :D

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I am a white man but I think that I would rather have my daughter marry a saved black man with solid Christian character than an unsaved whitey.

5. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hrm...with this diverse world I doubt we would EVER see one race of humans again. As far as inter racial marriage goes, God calls people together, and if they are following God, then He obviously is okay with it. God though does not call all people into an inter racial marriage.

Like others have said, if they have prayed earnestly, and they know God is calling them in marriage, who are we foolish humans to oppose God?

UNP, Adam

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ps104_33:
    I am a white man but I think that I would rather have my daughter marry a saved black man with solid Christian character than an unsaved whitey.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree with you here. But, I want to add something based on experience. Our daughter married a black man. Not really out of love, but as rebellion. You see, she was abused by her biological father who is now sitting in prison and it had a terrible effect on her life and on our relationship later on. We were told to expect this by Christian counselors. The only problem I see is that the children they have can be made fun of and tormented in school because they are "half-breed" (much like the old Indian-white marriages in the 1800's). The white girl (or black) must also realize that there is a very different culture involved in the way they grow up. It is very unlikely a white person grows up under the same conditions as a black. My daughter always called me prejudice because of my views that "marriage is tough enough without adding to differences which include people glaring at you in stores and the abuse the children will take." But, she is going to show me wrong, so we shall see and I will let you know as time goes on. So far the only problems is the uncomfortable situation it puts in-laws in when having holiday mixers, etc. This is probably due to real prejudice on the part of the adults, BUT, the children should be aware that it WILL exist and it will effect their children.

I also agree that the Bible intended the races to be seperated or God would not have divided the races. We are now getting back to living in times very much like the Tower of Babel era and the era of Noah; which the Bible warns us the end will occur. I am NOT prejudice; however, and a soul saved whether black, yellow, green or purple makes no difference to the Lord Jesus. I just want the children to think about the consequences to their kids and themselves in the long-term--marriage is not an easy road when you both grow up the same way as Christians--let alone adding to it.

God Bless! [​IMG]

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Many times when you say mixed race marriages, you only mean black/white. You forget that there are other mixtures too.

My parents are mixed--white and Filipino. I was raised in a culture where we had an equal division of whites, blacks, and American Indians, and we were all there together.

Rarely did I feel any kind of "injustice", probably because culturally, I was raised "white", with Filapino strains.

So, I guess, I am already sided because I know what I have been through and what my history is.

I don't have a problem with mixed race marriages. (Anybody I marry would be a mixed race marriage, anyway.) The Bible talks about mixed race marriages--Moses, for example. I think that when it speaks out against marriage to non-Jews, it had to do with God and about God. Not because of race.

Yes, there are differences in cultures and in races. But there are differences in boys and girls.

Yes, I believe that some marry outside of their race for rebellion.

But in and of itself, I do not believe it is wrong.

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Something to think about:

I have a bit of German, Irish, and English in me. Most anyone you marry in America has a mixture or races in them. White is merely a skin color. Now if we go by the idea that I should not marry anyone outside of my race, then I should not marry anyone because I am several different races....

Or maybe what is being discussed her is not races, but skin color...

UNP,
    Adam

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Saggywoman, I just wanted to say that I don't disagree with you and yes, my daughter's situation is very unique because of her molestation as a child.

I do want to say that I was simply wanting young people (primarily black and white because of the different cultures and OBVIOUS difference of race) to think very hard about issue that will crop up and most are related to prejudices of OTHER people around them and abuse to their children by other kids who have yet to learn appropriate behavior in this area (you know how mean kids can be just asking a question like -- what are you white or black?) That is all I meant. I just think they should think about it. This is also different in different parts of the country. I live in a small town as you see and it is viewed with heavy prejudice in this area simply because of the lack of tolerance. It is becoming more and more acceptable in larger cities and in the North particularly.
    Also, in your case, you are basically the same skin color so the racial difference doesn't stand out quite as much. Remember, this country was divided over the black/white issue and there are still people out there harboring prejudices that could negatively effect the offspring of a good mixed marriage. I am not trying to stop them, just want them to think about that BEFORE they make a life-long committment with an issue they will have to deal with.

God Bless you, You are a wonderful person and I enjoy your posts. ;)

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Being that we don't have pure races anymore, we are all some of this and some of that, I am Irish, English, Lebaneese,Syrian. I would think the only question now as it was in the O.T. is religion. The purpose of God's command of Israel not intermarrying was because of religions. Look at Solomon, married, what was it 700 wives, of different religions, and then we started worshipping with them false gods. For us as christians it means christian marries a christian. To say that God said it as a racila thing, not religion, or along with religeous purposes is to add to what He actually says in scripture. There are several instances in scripture where another race marries an Israelite, Queen Esther, Ruth (a decendant of Jesus), and as has been said Moses. There are probably more that don't come to mind right now. So it wasn't because of race, but religion.

11. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

If my daughter married a black man, who was a sound Christian, I would be thrilled! Mixed children are beautiful!

Inter-racial marriage: is it biblical?
    By Ken Ham http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4119.asp

Phillip, did you see my post on “Pedophiles in Church”?

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You know, though Phillip, I don't think children, and particularly young children, really even make a deal of race. They might notice skin color difference, but don't care if there is. .. unless some dork parents have told them about the differences in a negative light.

13. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

I actually find it frightening that no one has exploded about Chet's and Phillip's posts.

Hello??? Are we so nice that we can't call a spade a spade? This is racist stuff we are getting here.

Chet/Phillip: Are you also against parents adopting children of another race? Guessing you just about have to be to be consistent.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Houstonian:
    I actually find it frightening that no one has exploded about Chet's and Phillip's posts.

Hello??? Are we so nice that we can't call a spade a spade? This is racist stuff we are getting here.

Chet/Phillip: Are you also against parents adopting children of another race? Guessing you just about have to be to be consistent.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, please read my posts again. I NEVER said I was against an interacial marriage, ALL I said was that the two getting married should consider the prejudice that is out there BEFORE making their decision to marry. It is just like considering whether or not the education or job is adequate to make enough money. Prejudice is real and they will have to tolerate it. I only ask that they consider it first. Please, don't pull what I said out of context.

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    You know, though Phillip, I don't think children, and particularly young children, really even make a deal of race. They might notice skin color difference, but don't care if there is. .. unless some dork parents have told them about the differences in a negative light.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I agree with you, but you have to understand in my "neck of the woods" prejudice runs rampant and cowboys have little tolerance for interacial marriage. Therefore, it is a known fact around here that kids will be prejudice and because of what you said "DORK PARENTS". That's all I was saying.

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
    Phillip, did you see my post on “Pedophiles in Church”?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but I am going there right now. Thanks for telling me.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, and Saggywoman, I just wanted to mention too that we are the meth-amphetamine capital of the United States (Dallas Newspaper article). So, this town needs revival---see my new prayer request. Prejudice is not the only sins we are dealing with here in the "Bible Belt".

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Phillip,

I grew up in Oklahoma (I just looked to see where you were from.) I grew up west of I-35, where the prejudice didn't seem as rampant.

I also lived in south central OK, near where you live. I know the racial issue is more black and white there--in fact, I was just telling someone last night that a pastor in southern Oklahoma was known for cracking black jokes and said the "n" word in church as a joke.

I don't understand prejudice in this fashion, though.

19. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillip:

I also agree that the Bible intended the races to be seperated or God would not have divided the races. We are now getting back to living in times very much like the Tower of Babel era and the era of Noah; which the Bible warns us the end will occur. I am NOT prejudice...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phillip, can you explain how the referenced quote from your first post on this thread is not racist?

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Houstonian ]

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Houstonian:

Phillip, can you explain how the referenced quote from your first post on this thread is not racist?

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Houstonian ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, maybe it is, I was just quoting what I assumed the Bible context was and the big question is why did God decide to break up the races if he didn't intend to keep it that way. I do realize however that it is my interpretation only and I personally don't have problems with Interacial marriages, but there are many many times in the Bible that Jews (especially) were commanded to not take wives from other races and they were sometimes defeated in war because of this. I am not giving a commentary on this, just stating the way I understand it. Please, don't get so hostile, no intent of racism here.