1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MLB: the Midseason report

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well its hard to believe but the 2006 MLB season is nearing the middle. What is your assesment so far? Who will be in the pennant races at the end of the summer? Who are the playoff contenders?

I will say that by now, Detroit is deffinetly "for real". Sweeping the Cards (yes! yes! yes!) was no easy feat.

Right now the Mets look like the power of the NL with a shot at winning the world series. I wouldn't count out St. Louis and Huston though since they can turn things up a notch through the second half of the season.

In the AL, the PaleSox :)tongue3: ) Tigers, Yankees, Boston, and Blue Jays all look like legit contenders, oh and Oakland could be a strong team in the second half of the season.

Here is what I see happening:

The Mets take the NL east hands down, the Cards just mangage to win the central, and in the up-for-grabs NL west, the Dodgers just squeak by to win the pennant. The NL wildcard race is btw the Reds and the Padres with the Reds getting it.

In the AL east, Boston wins, in the Central either the Tigers or palesox, with the second place team taking the AL wildcard- yes thats right folks no Yankees in the the playoffs! In the AL west Oakland edges out Texas.

Well thats how I see it the second half of the season playing out. What say you?

2. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your mid-season assessment and your end of season predictions.
    GO TIGERS!!:thumbs:

3. Convicted by the Spirit

uhmmmm.....

I think you missed one very important team .... THE ASTRO'S. Last year they were written off for dead after starting 15 - 30. This year they are playing 500 ball and getting Roger Clemons back. If they don't take the Central they will get the wild card again.

I don't see anyone beating the Whitesox in the American league. The NL is anyone's league this year.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think that the Reds will get the NL wildcard and Huston will fail to make the playoffs.

The Whitesox can be beaten, I don't think they are the only good team in the AL. They do have weakness that have been exploited this year, and if Guillen keeps running his filthy mouth, he may just loose his job. That would be a big blow to the Palesox.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree with your predictions, except the Reds making the wild card. I think Milwaukee has a better chance than the Reds. I would pick the Astros, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team from the West snuck in there. I am about 90% confident that the White Sox will win the AL Central. The Tigers will get the wild card and play the Red Sox in a 5-game series, which does not bode well for Detroit with their lack of postseason experience.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

They may not have playoff experience, but the Whitesox didn't have much last year either. Leland is the difference maker. I wouln't be surprised that if said scenario does happen, the Tigs win.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I hope you're right. The Tigers haven't done well against the White Sox, Red Sox and Yankees. They dominate the weaker teams. I would love to see their record against sub-500 teams. It's great - they beat the teams they are supposed to beat. Continuing that pattern will get them to the postseason for sure. I just worry about what happens then.

8. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, how perfect that would be!!! :thumbs:

Seriously, I agree that the Mets should win the NL East, but I think their lack of depth in the starting rotation will hurt them in the playoffs and series. I don't see them going all the way. Look for the best starting pitching with good defense and offense in the playoffs. That will almost always rise to the top in October.

On the other hand, could lightning strike the BoSox twice in 3 years???:laugh:

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

True they lost some games against the "Big 3" but those loses were close games so I can't say they haven't done well. Those games could have gone either way, the Tigers just did not get a lucky break. Also I can't imagine Leyland not makeing adjustments next time Detroit faces those teams- especially if it were in the playoffs. I think they have the talent and heart to compete with the best and when the cards start falling their way- watch out.

Remember what Pudge and Leyland did with the Marlins- a wildcard team. They could do it again in Motown. I'm not saying it will happen, but all the right pieces are their so that it could happen. I do understand your concern though. After a decade of losing seasons it is hard to purge oneself of all doubts.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

As of now I think the Yanks are 6 games behind the WhiteSox in the wildcard standings, so if things continue like they are now, they wouldn't make the playoffs. But this is baseball and things often to not work out like one forsees them. But just thought... no Yankees in the playoffs! That would be great!!!:thumbs:

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Something else that is interesting this year - have you noticed how the AL is dominating the NL this year? I think the AL has about a .650 winning percentage in interleague play. That is incredible. The beneficiaries in the AL have been the Tigers, White Sox, Red Sox, Twins, Mariners and the Royals!

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I know! What happened to the NL? Why are they getting their tails whipped by AL teams, even the Roayls- the worst team in baseball.

13. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

GO TIGERS!!:thumbs: I do not expecting Tigers having a hot streak this season. Their record is now 54-25. They won 12 out of last 13 games. This is the best season since last time I saw in 1984 season. I hope Tigers are keeping on winning throughout this season.

I remind what Pistons coach Saunders said of Pistons' new record of 2006 season. He said, if Pistons lose in the playoffs, then, their new record is worthless. He was right. But, I dislike his negative talk.

I want Tigers to be focus on their goal despite any negative talks.

I hope Tigers will win division and make playoff this season. Wait and see find out in August.

GO TIGERS!!!:applause:

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

After getting out my lucky coin to pick the division winners now that we're at the midpoint, here's who I think wins.

AL East: Boston
    AL Central: Detroit
    AL West: Seattle
    AL Wildcard: Chicago

NL East: New York
    NL Central: St Louis
    NL West: Los Angeles
    NL Wildcard: San Diego

It pretty much comes down to pitching, pitching and pitching, especially in the AL. Boston, Detroit and Chicago have the best pitching in the major leagues and seem to be quite a bit deeper than any staff in the NL. I think pitching is why the AL has been killing the NL in inter-league play.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well for once, I hope your lucky coin is right!:smilewinkgrin:

16. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitching is the key. It is also something that seems to be notably lacking from a lot of teams. I am not sure of the reason, though I suspect it might be that there are too many teams now for the available talent pool.

Anyway, I like your predictions as well. Any guesses on who makes the series?

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am going out on limb and am going to predict a Tigers, St. Louis series. It is really to hard to make that kind of prediction now.

Concering the dominance of AL pitchers over NL teams, I suspect the AL is going to win the All Star game hands down.

Speaking of the All Star game, what do you guys think of the idea that the winner get home field advantage in the fall?

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I find it simply ridiculous. It should be based on regular season performance. Let's say the Detroit Tigers have the best record in baseball this year and meet up with the NL Wildcard team in the World Series and the NL won the All-Star game and therefore the team with the best record in baseball does not get homefield advantage? I think it is just dumb.

Has it really increased the level of interest in the All-Star game?

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. I think it is stupid. Just let the All-Star game be what it is supposed to be- a game featuring talented players.

20. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Oh, my poor Atlanta Braves finally let the bottom fall out. This is thier worst season in the last 16 years. The Mets are finally winning like they thought they would be for 8 or 9 years. I believe the Braves might pull back up in to 3rd place, maybe even into second, but that just the fan in me hoping. They need a bullpen, if they had a bullpen I believe they'd be in second place...but God's will be done not mine. :)

P.S. one more DECENT starting pitcher would help, the offense is comparable to some of the better teams, if they had a bullpen and one more decent starter, they'd be ok.