1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MLK Jr. Was a Good Baptist

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jabbezzz, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Hats off to MLK Jr...................

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, IMO the black race was living in a state of "oppression" for a long, long time---for a long long time they were ostrisized and critized by members of my race---and I believe that MLK was one who rose up out of that oppression and began to talk to people---and enough people listened and made a decision that more or less said, "We don't have to be treated this way! We don't have to live this way! There is a better way!" And enough of the white race listened and began to say, "We won't treat them like this! We will treat all people of all races the way that we would want their race to treat us!"

Enough people listened and we have come a long way in race relations and reconciliations---but the road is long and there's yet a long way to go!

3. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I dont believe that its whites hating blacks anymore, thats a thing of the past. Now its pretty eqwal with all races (im not saying its right.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "MLK Jr. Was a Good Baptist"

I don't think so, because I don't think there is any such person as a "good Baptist."

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MLK prayed in public quite often, and the name JESUS was no stranger to his vocal cords.

Have any of you ever seen Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or Louis Farrakhan pray in public? How often do they mention JESUS in public?

I believe 100% that MLK was a Christian who overturned a great amount of evil in his lifetime.

A little aside...I have studied MLK's murder with a retired captain of the Columbus, OH police. Here are the facts we found about James Earl Ray:

1.) JER wasn't exactly the sharpest arrow in the quiver. His criminal history consisted of petty thefts. He wasn't smart enough nor wealthy enough to have traveled to Europe and lived in several nations for several months.

2.) JER had no history of firearm use or training, nor any history of violence. It would be asking a lot outta a person with no firearm experience to shoot a moving target

3.)JER had never been heard to utter anything of an anti-black nature, not had anyone ever heard him comment one way or another about MLK.

The King family does NOT believe JER shot MLK, and neither do I. I DO believe JER was paid to be a "bagman" who was anonymous enough to bring the rifle to the scene without drawing undue attention. He confessed to the shooting in order to draw another sum of money after his release from prison, his having been led to believe that if he took the rap, he'd serve but a short term. Only when it finally became apparent to him that his release was nowhere in sight and when he found he was fatally ill did he recant his confession. Now, knowing he was gonna die in that prison, why should he recant his confession when he stood to gain absolutely NOTHING by recanting it?

I believe that ONLY GOD knows ALL the facts and will mete out ultimate justice to those who deserve it.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Robo??? Didn't JER "kick the bucket" recently??

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes...he died in 1998.

While politicians eulogized MLK as a great man(most of'em very insincere), the investigation into his shooting was shoddy at best, a cover-up at worst. I hope the King family is successful in causing an HONEST investigation to be made before all the witnesses pass on. None of this will bring Dr. King back, but maybe the real culprits will be revealed.

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Martin Luther was a good Lutheran, but was Martin Luther King really a good Baptist?

He attacked the deity of Christ. Read it HERE. Unless he retracted this later, I do't think we can even call him a Christian.

9. Inkling

Inkling New Member

I think if you read the essay carefully, you may see that you misrepresent King.

I found the essay really good for a student in his second semester! King struggles with the age old theological debate of reconciling Jesus as man and yet God. He reviews scriptures that show Jesus was just as human as the rest of us, and then succinctly concludes that:

“To see Jesus as a "mere" good man like all other prophets is by no means sufficient to explain him.

He goes on to state:

“Prior to all other facts about Jesus stands the spiritual assurance that He is divine.”

And then after fully accepting Jesus’ divinity, King critiques the, “orthodox attempt to explain the divinity of Jesus in terms of an inherent metaphysical substance within him.”

A reasonable critique—and one that does not deny Jesus’ deity or contradict King’s earlier assertion of that divinity. Where King runs into trouble is in his conclusion; full of typos and grammatical errors, he fails to draw together the arguments he develops in the paper. Perhaps he would have done better, this second semester freshman, if he would have known what he future held for him and that the late night conclusion he was scribbling to meet an assignment deadline would one day be taken out of context and used to assert that he was not a Christian!

Anyway, this essay aside, I will leave it to God to judge Kings’ status in eternity — as of me I look up to him and pray that God will raise up others to use in the ways that He used King.

Oddly enough, before reading this thread, I made a posting about King on my blog.

Happy birthday MLK

http://just-an-inkling.blogspot.com/