1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Applause in the church?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by apeman, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two thoughts on applause:

#1 - I think applause is cultural. Trace it in your church and tell me if I'm off base.

In the South, applause after doing anything is typical. Recognize the bus driver, have him stand and give him a round of thanks. And the janitor. And the kid's workers. Man, I've come away with sore hands.

In the North, unless it is IMPORTED with a preacher who brings cultural baggage with him, or from a lot of Suthrans who migrated looking for a better place to work (Detroit or Indianapolis or Chicago) there is seldom any such applause - for singing or anything. Thanks, what little is expressed, will be given privately.

#2 - Who does the most work, the most preparation, the most intensity in your service? The organist? The soloist? The song leader? The deacon reading scripture?

Of course, it is the Pastor. If applause is to be given, it should be whent he pastor is preaching. Instead of a mumbled "amen", it should be like George W's speech in Congress - interrupted 52 times by applause!

Now when I speak in rallies and educational meetings, they usually applaud me only when I sit down. Yeah, I get the message! :rolleyes:

2. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Come to think of it, I don't see any problem with clapping. God gave that person the talent and especially if they are using that talent for Jesus and the message touched ones heart then why is it a problem?

Perhaps this is more personal issue than anything.

Karen

3. Joey M

Joey M New Member

This is the best answer I have read here.

God speed.

Posted by Daniel:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I have been in both situations. I understand all the arguments. At this point I don't have a problem either way. Our Pastor says feel free to calp is you wish. Feel free NOT to clap if you wish. There is no obligation/requirement either way. The "clappers" use the Psalms to advocate their position. The "non-clappers" use the "do all to the glory of God---not with eyeservice as menpleasers" verses. Let every one be fully persuaded in their own minds. It really is a non-issue when other things are so much more important... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Many times our pastor is interrupted by amens and applause.

It makes his very long sermon much longer. :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D

5. uhdum

uhdum New Member

The Bible does say to "play skillfully with a loud noise." Honestly, I believe applause is acceptable when the people applaude the talent and the message portrayed by the singer/musician, not to please them, but God, who gave them the talents.

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Y'all need a lesson from Pastor Mann! He was the Pastor I worked with while on a missions trip in Dayton Ohio. These people had worship services that were so long they'd likely make any Baptist faint! The church is a small one with about 50 members in the middle of one of the worst parts of Dayton. Most all of the members of his church were saved from lifestyles that were very horrible. And believe me there ain't no one who are going to stop them from clapping and praising the Lord!

It was wonderful and refreshing to spend time with these people. And the funny thing is- the 3 1/2 hour morning service went so fast...

UNP, Adam

7. wilshine

wilshine New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    I am not sure what the big fat hairy deal is, but I think it is a matter of attitude.

I personally do not applaude unless I feel the leadership of the Holy Spirit, and then I do applaude, to the praise of God.

When our church applaudes, for the most part, it is directed towards the praise of God, Not everyone claps, but so what? Not everyone doesn't clap, but so what?

Some raise their hands in worship.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN !!

What works in one church may not work in another

8. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

in the church that i attend, applause after specila music or any other isn't really directed to that person. it's a way to say "amen" to what the song says and thanking the Lord for the message was sent.
    so, yes, i believe that apllause in church is ok, as long as it is directed towards God, and not towards men.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once I clapped, but now I refrain from clapping. Once I lifted my hands when singing, but now I do not. Once I was blind, but now I see.

10. AdoptedDaughter

everything has to do with the attitude.
    even a hi can be bad if it is said with a wrong attitude.

Teresa

11. deanna

deanna New Member

having sung many solos in church over the years i have never ever been comfortable with the applause. i have been teased because i get down from the platform as quickly as i possibly can.
    likewise i have never been comfortable with people telling me after the service that they enjoyed the song or that i have a beautiful voice. i wanna scream "DIDN'T YOU HEAR THE SONG? THE MESSAGE?"
    i have recently begun singing in an ensemble group on sunday nights along with 2 or 3 others singing. i do have a very strong voice so i am careful to try to blend with the other girl singing her sweet soft soprano, rather than over power her. however, it really really bothered me after the first few weeks when people said, I sounded great!! i said we needed to turn my mic down and they said NO you were great! they didn't get it!!!

likewise i have been teased for just "standing there and singing" i don't know if they expected me to dance or not but it really bothers me when the actions or anything else about the soloist distracts from the message and draws me to focus more on them than the REAL point.

just my 2 cents
    deanna

12. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

LOL Deanna! I get teased (chastised??) for singing with my eyes closed. Folks just don't understand that it's my way of praising and meditating on the Lord whilst I'm singing. Not to mention I just can't stand to look @ folks during the song. [​IMG]

I think the key to the applause and well-wishers afterwards is to just say thank you . . . you know, accept it graciously though it makes you cringe . . . Sometimes I say something like, "Isn't that a beautiful song?" Or, "That's one of my favorite songs . . . it has such a great message."

Then pray for God to keep pride from rearing its ugly head in you.

Another thing you might do is pray before hand for the Lord to help people concentrate on the message and not the messenger.

If I want to speak to someone who has sung a solo during the service, I try to say something like, "I enjoyed that song! It blessed my heart today." Or, "That song really spoke to my heart."

My pastor always says something like, "Thank you for giving your talents back to the Lord."

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Keeper,

&gt;&gt;My pastor always says something like, "Thank you for giving your talents back to the Lord." &gt;&gt;

Channel surfing, I heard a person sing a solo, a hymn that I enjoyed.
    Afterward, the charismatic pastor said
    "Let's give the LORD a clap offering for the talent He has given sister _____".

HankD

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

If the attitude of the one clapping is of worship to God, who can say that is wrong.
    Everyone can act the way you want them to(not clapping,not raising hands, not listening to music, not wearing jewlery, wearing only dresses-women of course-,not playing cards, not watching tv,use the'right' bible translation) and still not be worshipping God. Doing all the right 'looking' things does not guarantee worship of God. We shouldn't judge the way a person looks as to whether or not 'we' think they are worshipping.

And this comes from a non-hand clapper.

15. AdoptedDaughter

Katie,
    I agree totally with you. I, however, do clap, but only to give praise to God for the message He has sent to my heart through the one doing special music.
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We shouldn't judge the way a person looks as to whether or not 'we' think they are worshipping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Worship is an act of the heart, not of the actions. If we raise our hands, clap, and close our eyes, but our heart is not praising God, is it true praise? My answer would be no.
    Like Katie said, "We shouldn't judge the way a person looks..."
    We should not worry about what others do, but how we, ourselves, praise God.
    Teresa

16. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

If you trace back to where applause in church after a "performance" started, you will find that it originated with the charismatic movement. No one applauded in church 50 years ago.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't really care what people did in church 50 years ago. Just because it's 50 years ago doesn't mean it right, I mean is that the litmis test, how long has it been done in church?

18. harvestwife

harvestwife New Member

I am a Pastors wife in an independent Baptist Church and for the most part our special singers, soloists, etc receive applause. However, I don't think our congregation is particularly praising the singer; but instead showing the person that the message they have given in song touched them enough to make an outward show by the clapping of hands. Get this: at our church, when someone accepts the Lord as their Saviour, we give God the applause for the marvelous work He has performed in that person. Same thing goes when one is baptized at our Church. Why is it ok to sing praise and worship songs to our Lord (like so many do today) but it is not ok to applaud? God knows our hearts, if the singing blesses us, why not applaud? And....why argue this point anyway.....when there are so many other important things to discuss......such as eternal security?

God bless you all......

Pam

19. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

{{whistling}}} {{{applauding}}} opps sorry got carried away there, anyway I agree there are so many other more important subjects.. :D

karen

20. Manstrom

Manstrom New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by harvestwife:
    I am a Pastors wife in an independent Baptist Church and for the most part our special singers, soloists, etc receive applause. However, I don't think our congregation is particularly praising the singer; but instead showing the person that the message they have given in song touched them enough to make an outward show by the clapping of hands. Get this: at our church, when someone accepts the Lord as their Saviour, we give God the applause for the marvelous work He has performed in that person. Same thing goes when one is baptized at our Church. Why is it ok to sing praise and worship songs to our Lord (like so many do today) but it is not ok to applaud? God knows our hearts, if the singing blesses us, why not applaud? And....why argue this point anyway.....when there are so many other important things to discuss......such as eternal security?

God bless you all......

Pam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a recording artist back in the early and mid sixties and sang in many night clubs during those years. The difference between the applause from those crowds and the applause and the Amens etc., of the folks in the churches I now sing in, is huge. One was strictly man for man while the other is man for God. I can feel the difference. If there is absolute silence when I finish a song, praise God. If there is a rousing chorus of Amens, praise God. Makes no difference to me which. As long as God gets the glory, who cares? I guess a subject like this is what makes us Baptists, huh? :D :D

Agape,

Mike :D