1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Conservative SBC Music Festival

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Psalm145 3, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I never postulated such a ridiculous assertion, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may not have directly postulatedit, but that is the inference of the arguments.
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My post from Plato is excellent and reliable ancient evidence of recurring societal trends, not a basis for my philosophy on music, and no true historian, theologian or any real scholar could seriously dismiss Plato's statments of fact merely on the basis of his pagan beliefs. Plato's Republic and Deuteronomy were the two most consulted ancient documents when our Founding Fathers framed the Constitution.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still, you cannot give Plato the authority of Scripture, (using him to set a "scriptural" argument against music styles)because my point of him being pagan is that he is a fallible uninspire man. Sure ha may have some good point. So does everyone (It's CCm critics who seem to see nothing good in what they criticize).

Then you quote other leaders saying the same thing as Calvin, and conclude: "You might as well knock off the "Church of Christ" and "Platonic paganism" smears. This is orthodox thinking." But the point you miss is that no matter how many people said it, they too are fallible, and have to be measured by Scripture (what it actually says, not what men read into it). Plus, you have not addressed what I said, which stands: "And since his [their]argument seems to be really against all instruments period, that would rule out even the 'traditional' styles fundamentalists advocate, and since the real argument is against the rhythms of rock, I don't know why this reference keeps coming up."
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Your question, "What New Testament scripture says that all lively stuff was only for the Old Covenant, and Christians today must only use some dry style with Platonic philosophy behind it?" reveals the true face behind your mask of objectivity. You are merely looking for a thrill, and that has no place whatever in Christian worship. If Eric B was thrilled with moshing, then his posts would be filled with justification (however lame) for the kind of behavior exemplified by the carnal gathering at the aforementioned music festival. He is like those who walk in lasciviousness thinking it strange that we do not run with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of us.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, you're speaking what you do not know. I do not get thrills out of my worship, or its music. I do not even like churches where that is common. I am just refuting a series of arguments that try to say that only one or two limited styles of music are accepted by God, and that everything else is trash. But that is what critics like you do: set up straw men and judge people's spirituality when they refute their arguments. I am seeing everything but any solid biblical foundation to this rejection of all modern music. It's what people have said; the defenders are just trying to defend their own fleshy desires, etc. We have got to do better than this.

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I forgot to add that my wife comments on how I argue so much on music, yet am so "take-it-or-leave-it" towards most of CCM. So once again, I am not simply defending something just because I like it, or some "thrill" I get. I see here serious mishandling of the Bible, and just like when any other leader, cult, etc toys with it, we must stand up for what it really teaches.

3. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Bravo, Eric! This IS what we need to do--get BACK TO THE BIBLE. Why is it so hard to see? Perhaps people are using the wrong "glasses." I wish we could get to discusssing Bible principles rather than Plato, etc. Let's try....