1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Dr. Frank Garlock

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ars, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Ars

Ars New Member

We are currently watching a six video seminar given by this man. (First Thursday of each month.) I was curious to know if anyone has heard of him.

[ September 09, 2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Joy

Joy New Member

Sure, I've been familiar with him since about 4th grade! He is the head of Majesty Music. He has written many songs and hynms, and included most of them in a hynmal called Majesty Hymns.

His wife and daughter are also both accomplished musician and pianists. They have written many piano score and accompaniaments for their music. His daughter, Shelly Hamilton, is married to Ron Hamilton, who is also a musician, most famous for his works for children as Patch the Pirate. That is another story in itself!

You can find out more about them at their website- majestymusic.org.

3. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I can't add a whole lot more to what Joy has said other than a personal touch--I've worked with the Garlocks and Hamiltons on several occasions. They are great people with a desire to stay on the traditional side of the music spectrum while still exploring "newer" sounds and techniques. They're not afraid to be a little different than their counterparts in Greenville, South Carolina, home of Bob Jones University and the Garlock and Hamilton ministry called Majesty Music. Those two institutions have not always seen eye-to-eye on things, but they have been amiable to each other in the big picture.

Probably the video series being currently watched is from the book by Dr.Garlock and Kurt Woetzel called MUSIC IN THE BALANCE. This book is a reasonably balanced book on the conservative theory of Christian music. It would be highly attacked by the more contemporary people, but it's still a good read for anyone wanting to explore the sacred music issue more in depth.

Please ask me any other questions you wish about the Garlocks, Hamiltons, etc.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Music InThe Balance goes heavily into the scientifc claims about the negative effects of too much syncopation. Fisher refers to it.
    But as has been said, these science claims are subject to differing interpretations, and we have to be careful building a "biblical" case against certain styles, and then being so critical of brethren who use them, based on this.

5. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Eric is fairly accurate in his assessment of the book by Garlock and Woetzel; however, Garlock and Woetzel are FAIR in how they deal with the issue. They are not radicals in their tone or writing while they hold and explain the more traditional approach to the sacred music question. All in all, it is a fair book...well worth the read!

I think the correct web address may be:
    www.majestymusic.com (not .org as cited above)

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has it occurred to anyone that "ye shall know them by their fruits" is a scientific process?

It requires observation and repitition.

So the objections against the use of scientific studies in one's making a case for whatever it may be seem rather disingenuous.

IMHO. [​IMG]

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Has it occurred to anyone that "ye shall know them by their fruits" is a scientific process?
    It requires observation and repitition.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK,but that's a far cry from conjectural lab studies (what I mean by "science"), which we have neither observed, nor can prove or disprove for ourselves, and thus can be misinterpreted by the ones citing them (e.g. "harmful 'rock' beats" used were really random, rhythmless drum beats, plus all the other variable factors).

8. Daniel

Daniel New Member

AARON: IS IT TRUE THAT A LOT OF SCIENTIFIC STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE ON THE BEAT OF MUSIC AND FOUND TO BE FAIRLY ACCURATE? This is an area I believe you are much more qualified than I. Please elucidate. I know Eric will back-and-forth you a lot, but at least answer the question in clear terms. Thanks---Daniel

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that "a lot" have been done. You can search the MuSICA database at MuSICA yourself. But you have to actually look the articles up in a university library. Tedious, time-consuming and sometimes costly.

Musicologists would be the authority in this matter. David Tame wrote a book called The Secret Power of Music. Lots of references to diverse studies in that one.

Also, neither is it my main focus to use "science." I simply responded to the defacto exclusion of science as something un-Biblical. We are commanded to use our senses in discerning good and evil.

However, yes. It is established that certain rhythms have certain, predictable effects on the listeners. The question is, are those effects good or evil? That's where the argument is.

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]

Man, I must have been tired the first time!
    :D

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, where can I find a set of Garlock's videos?

11. superdave

superdave New Member

I read the book, haven't seen the videos. IMHO, Kurt gets a little out of control on the sycopation and the backbeat, besides the fact that some of his guidelines actually would outlaw some of Garlock's music when followed strictly (a fact I found to be very entertaining when viewed objectively.)He did however restrain himself quite well.

I agree with Eric B, and Daniel
    Much of the musical analysis in the book by Dr. Garlock was very insightful and fascinating. I agreed with much of the book. The video series is probably great as Dr. Garlock is a great speaker and really a great person to be around. Not to mention being a great musician (don't forget Flora Jean, man can she play the piano) I don't know the other guy so I can't say about him. Overall my impression was that they were definately holding back, meaning that they realize what is and is not "provable" and instead rely more on their own reasons for the muscial stands they take. An honorable position, one that some on this board would do good to adopt!

Here is where I tend to agree with Eric,
    I was struck by the lack of clear references to studies, more direct footnotes would have helped. I have been hearing the same arguments since I was a child, and its always, "Studies have shown..." I could use that phrase and prove that Humans are genetically similar to the Rough Skinned Newt, doesn't make it true!

Overall, a good book, a balanced approach to the issue relatively speaking, so probably a good series, just keep your eyes open for the extrabiblical "scientific" garbage, there is a little of it.

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: superdave ]

12. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Aaron: I would assume you could get the videos via the link above that I posted (not the original posting....it's not a "dot org"...it's a "dot com")

Superdave: very astute assessment of the book. Kurt Woetzel is also a very amiable, nice fellow. He is a Minister of Music in New Hampshire, I believe.

Overall I like the restraint of the book, too. I encourage everyone interested in the traditional POV to purchase and carefully read the book.

13. Ars

Ars New Member

I will talk to my pastor and find out where he got the vidoes.

Until next time,
    Dave