1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Highly Esteemed or Abomination?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the secular press showers praise and adoration on a CCM group, how should we view it?

Luke 16:15

I'm thinking of the aforementioned article in Newsweek, The Glorious Rise of Christian Pop, by Lorraine Ali who also sings the praises of every other pop artist in his column.

[ September 08, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Rockfort

With our own eyes; that's how. Is it your contention that so much 'praise' to be seen this week by Jennings and others about all the "God bless America"'s by political dignitaries makes that phrase detestable in God's eyes, according to the scripture you cited?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rockfort:
    With our own eyes; that's how. Is it your contention that so much 'praise' to be seen this week by Jennings and others about all the "God bless America"'s by political dignitaries makes that phrase detestable in God's eyes, according to the scripture you cited?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the context in which it is being used, most definitely.

4. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Aaron,

Its a shame that the rest of the country is in mourning and realizing something is wrong and lost but you still think its detesable to God to hear them say God bless America? Hmmm pretty religious thinking there. You need to keep in mind that a lot of these people are lost and really don't grasp the concept of christianity, but in a humbling attitude are mourning this.

Btw...There is no way we can look at the secular press's praise of ccm and say its wrong, I know many baptist churches who have recieved press coverage and praise for sharing love and faith because it was a community effort...so does that make it wrong? Hardly! Lets not quibble over petty issues.

Sue

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue,

If the Northern Kingdom of Israel said, "God Bless Israel!" yet did not repent of the sins of Jeroboam, what do you think God's response would be?

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I wonder what is your point in bringing this up and why have you not yet approached sue's issue that many Baptist churches have been praised by the media. Personally I do not judge something as good or bad based on what the media says. I prefer to use my own judgement then a secularist organization. Sometimes there is truth in what they say, sometimes not.

Until Next Post, Adam

7. myreflection26

Aaron, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about America and the state of humility we are in right now. I believe God sees that and there are christians who are earnestly praying and I know God hears that.

Sue

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue,

You are right. You never speak of the Scriptures. You only speak of what you think the Scriptures are silent upon. All Scripture is profitable...for instruction in righteousness, but you choose to do and say what is right in your own eyes.

Adam,

"God Bless America" is today merely wartime rhetoric, and not a fervent appeal to God's mercy or an expression of repentance.

But this thread has left the original point, and that is what the world holds in high esteem, God considers an abomination. So when we choose to entice the world with methods they hold in high regard, can we honestly say God is pleased with that?

Of course not.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron asked:

If the secular press showers praise and adoration on a CCM group, how should we view it?

Luke 16:15

Depends on whether the praise is merited or not. If it is, agree; if not, disagree.

It is not a "Christian" response to automatically say no when the press says yes. It is a knee-jerk response made without thinking. In fact, I submit to you that it is the thing James warns against: "let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God" (Jas. 1:19-20).

Furthermore, Jesus is talking about money in Luke 16:15 (see v.14 and the previous passage about serving both God and mammon). So again you have taken the quotation out of context.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Ransom ]

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom, Ransom:

How I have missed you! ALL the world's systems are based on mammon. Couldn't have CCM without it!

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rocking God's House

If the worldly press comes to your defense, you must be one of their own!

12. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"How I have missed you! ALL the world's systems are based on mammon. Couldn't have CCM without it!"

Couldn't have your church without it either! Or your college education, or the food you put on the table, or the computer you are typing on!

Until Next Post, Adam

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"If the worldly press comes to your defense, you must be one of their own!"

Has anyone ever told you your personal flames are rather annoying- I mean i'm annoyed and they aren't even directed at me! :eek:

Until Next Post, Adam

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

Couldn't have your church without [mammon] either!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How wrong you are! Christ said in Matthew 16:18 what He has built His church upon, and it isn't money. However, the church as we see her today cannot exist without money. A stock market crash would purge the church of those who come for the loaves and fishes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

Or your college education, or the food you put on the table, or the computer you are typing on!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. So true. [Except the food part which Jesus teaches us comes directly from the Father] But your point is?

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

quote:
    "How wrong you are! Christ said in Matthew 16:18 what He has built His church upon, and it isn't money."

Of course we both know that isn't what I was talking about ;)

"True. So true. [Except the food part which Jesus teaches us comes directly from the Father] But your point is?"

My point is you say that CCM can not exist without money- well either can your college education or the food which you must consume to stay alive physically (I can see I'm going to have to be very techinical in the future with you huh?), but that does not make either worldly does it?

Until Next Post, Adam

16. myreflection26

Aaron,

You have obviously ignored past posts of mine that clearly gave scriptures to back up my positions. I would love to know however how it is that positive press coverage on CCM automatically makes it wrong? Sounds once again like you are grasping for straws.

Sue

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

ALL the world's systems are based on mammon.

You're right. So let me know when you are equally offended by your local supermarket and not just coming down on your personal pet peeves!

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ransom:
    Aaron said:

ALL the world's systems are based on mammon.

You're right. So let me know when you are equally offended by your local supermarket and not just coming down on your personal pet peeves!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that opening a supermarket is Christian worship :confused:

If not, then what does your statement have to do with the price of rice in China?