1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Lined Out Hymnody

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jeff Weaver, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Hi folks

Some of you have never heard this, of that I am confident. Check it out in real audio.
    http://www.si.edu/folkways/sounds/40106.ra

The only folks who still sing this way, that I am aware of, are Primitive Baptists and Old Regular Baptists in or from Appalachia. But this how church music in the South was done two centuries ago, and before, and still good enough for me. ;) I love it this way.

Jeff Weaver

[ September 09, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Jeff, I have heard hymn lining in churches that are neither Old Regular nor Primitive in Alabama and Georgia, especially in northern parts of these states. Some of those churches are connected with what is commonly known as the "Duck River and Kindred Associations"; others are similar to them but not in their associations. Primitive Baptists over here in the old southwest occasionally line hymns. In what I've heard, though, the lines are just read - never chanted or sung as is common in Appalachia. I always thought, but may be wrong, that some of the United Baptists in east Tennessee, east Kentucky, W. Virginia, Virginia, etc. (Iron Hill, Paint Union, Old Paint Union, and other associations) used hymn lining at least some of the time.

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Thanks Bro. Robert, I didn't know some of that. Some of it I did know before posting, but was in another place. Must have been drifting off, I had some of it playing on the CD when I was typing. ;) The past is another country, and was paying it a visit.

Have you heard/read Sound of the Dove by Beverly Patterson? (I am in some of those singing). [​IMG]

4. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for this link. I have met Elder Tolley Lee, his cousin Johnny, and Johnny's son David. The Lees are a wonderful family of people, and God has blessed them with the gift of song. Elder Tolley's way of lining is a good of example of what I was referring to as chanting or singing the line (as you are well familiar with, but I'm sure a number of people on here are not). Most of the lining I hear over here in Texas is just plain reading the line. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like to hear the lining as done by Elder Lee.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a site of the Alabama Center for Traditional Culture, with Volume 1 of Traditional Musics of Alabama. It has several songs you will enjoy, I think. Elder Donald Smith lining "Grace Tis a Charming Sound" gives a pretty good contrast to the lining of Elder Tolley Lee. The song is sung in Sacred Harp fashion with all four parts. Listening to "Sweet Rivers" will give you a real feel for the speed at which Alabama Sacred Harpers sing their songs - generally much faster than both other Sacred Harp singers and traditional Primitive Baptist singing. And don't miss Lloyd's 688 "We Shall Sleep but Not Forever" sung at the Spring Hill Union (African-American) Primitive Baptist Association. It is probably the best of the entire volume. I am listening to it as I type this.

Bro. Jeff, I have not read/heard Sound of the Dove; but have heard of it. I will have to try and find it, so I can hear you. [​IMG]

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. Robert

Thanks for the links. I had seen those before, but hadn't remembered them when posting the original part of this thread. It did my heart good to hear them again.

Of course I am more used to the chanted lining out, and anything else sounds odd to me, but Elder Smith and his group sure can sing.

As for the African-American selection, this sound exactly like us white folks in Appalachia would sing it. In fact I find it easier to sing with African-American Primitive Baptists than almost any other group of non-Primitive Baptists. I could listen all day.

8. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member