1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Music "Ministry"?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What New Testament character was a music minister?

Chapter and verse please.

[ September 08, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. qwerty

qwerty New Member

You are attempting to make a point. What is it?

Music leadership or worship leadership, as we know it today in the church, is not well defined in the New Testament. The New Testament was written by what could be called "Senior Pastors", or Apostles. Usually, these people are not worship leaders in the sense that they actually lead the singing.

As you might be aware, a whole congregation bans music instruments in their church today because music instruments are not mentioned in the New Testament. I think it is Church of Christ. Their logic doesn't work too well. It's called arguing from silence. But their belief is a foundation for their denomination. I think they listen to music on the radio, and go to concerts, and these have instruments. But I guess it's a NO-NO in the church.

end of rambling

3. Daniel

Daniel New Member

The closest you can come is a MUSIC TEACHER: THE HOLY SPIRIT. (Ephesians 5:18, 19) You can also say that all Christians are "music ministers" as noted in Colossians 3:16. To cite a specific person other than Christ at the end of the Last Supper would be a stretch at best. Is that how you read it, Aaron? Please LMK if you find anyone else. I would be interested in your "take."

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    What New Testament character was a music minister?

Chapter and verse please.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wanna know the REAL reason?
    Music "Minister" means that your entire income tax structure is changed to that of any "minister" and you can write off housing and car expenses, plus you don't have to pay for social security if you don't wish (neither does the church have to pay its approx. 7.5% to the government.)

Pastors are going to kill me for saying this, or ban me from this forum, but these are outdated laws to help small churches compensate pastors when they had to find part time preachers without much money---not for today to be used by a 2000 member church to turn a basic 85,000 dollar salary into the equivalent of a 150,000 dollar salary in the secular world.

Of course, I will be called unChristianlike for speaking the truth. Just watch.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't find a music minister in the New Testament. Nor any minister of drama.

I find evangelists, pastors and teachers. But no musicians or thespians.

6. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Aaron,

Obviously going for the legalistic approach I see. We actually consider any music or drama ministry evangelistic if it reaches out to those who normally don't hear the gospel of Christ, think what you will it still remains that it reaches.

Sue

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but here's the catch:

Preaching DOES NOT reach, except those whom the Spirit draws.

Drama and music are powerful motivational forces, but God will not share His glory with them.

That is one reason He ordained singing only for the redeemed.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is one reason He called preaching "foolishness."

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]

9. myreflection26

Aaron,

God has shown his glory thru drama and music. I saw this during the Rachael Scott funeral which was aired nationally.

There is something you still seem to be missing. The fact that God is using these as his tools to bring folks to an understanding of salvation and thus ahhhh yes new converts.

Sue

10. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

So...I go into the bar and have a few cold beers with the boys. While doing so I share my testimony, and the plan of salvation, although it's a bit disjointed because I've had so many that I can hardly stand up. One of the guys listens and gets saved.

Was what I did right?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in the New Testament did God ever show His glory through drama or music?

I know, I know. "It's not forbidden!"

It wouldn't matter if it was. Sue would still do it. Women are forbidden to teach or usurp authority over men. But I'll bet Sue has some warm and fuzzy personal experience that overrules that clear teaching in the Scriptures too.

12. Rockfort

&lt; What New Testament character was a music minister?
    Chapter and verse please. &gt;

Aaron, you were asked that same question about the position of youth minister. Your response was a posting of some guy's redundant essay; obviously no chapter and verse, as you are asking for now. Do you expect an answer to a question which corresponds to another you refuse to answer?

13. myreflection26

Jim,

No, I don't go in with "the boys", I go with my husband and no I don't get coked up and try to share the gospel with anyone, but thank you for your ignorant assumtion. [​IMG]

As I was saying, my husband and I had talked about the need for the folks in the bar to be reached out to and cared about. This is simply an observation and the way I'd do it is totally different than described in your post. Its not even professional for entertainment to drink alcolholic drinks while performing although some do :rolleyes:
    and there is no way (unless completely led of the holy spirit) I'd give a plan of salvation to those there. As I figured this is not understood.

Aaron,

Since you also do not know how to be kind and respectful in your post, I will be ignoring you until you can once again respect.

Sue

14. Pennsylvania Jim

Hoooooold everything!!!

I've got no idea what you're talking about. Apparently you refer to a post somewhere that I have not seen.

Honest, my comments about the bar were made up on the spot from my head and I had no idea that you ever set foot in a bar, and do not desire to judge you or your motives for doing so.

My only point ws that the ends doesn't justify the means.

15. myreflection26

Jim,

Please accept my sincere apologies. Obviously you missed the thread on Where to minister which has the posts of my discussions on this issue. I was getting it mixed up with this thread and thought you had responded to that, my ignorance showing :eek:.

I don't really feel the need to justify something that God places on my heart though and I do believe its a God intended thing.

Sue [​IMG]

16. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Sue: where does "come out from aong them and be ye separate" fit into your scheme? Where does "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness" fit into your witnessing plan? Just curious.....

17. myreflection26

I don't do door to door wittnessing like the jw's and mormons do ROFL I'm so kidding thats not to be taken offense at.

Seriously, I wonder if Jesus was asked that same question when he sat down in the tax collectors house to minister to him or even when Jesus spoke to the woman who was sleeping with all those men and Jesus knew it but he sat down with her and talked to her anyway.

Sue

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Prov.23:31,32 "LOOK NOT upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder."
    Prov. 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
    Hab. 2:15 "Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink,"
    Eph. 5:18 "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

Eph.4:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."
    --It's pretty hard, if not impossible to obey the first four verses and the last verse at the same time.
    DHK

19. Pennsylvania Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myreflection26:
    Jim,

I don't really feel the need to justify something that God places on my heart though and I do believe its a God intended thing.

Sue [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you tell that God has placed something on your heart?

BTW no problem on the mixup, no offense taken.

20. myreflection26

Jim,

Very good question :D First there is a stirring in my heart and a burden to see a need fulfilled. I pray long and hard about it, seek scripture teaching, speak to my husband about it and other christian friends as well as church leaders and then I place it in God's hand that if I am truely to do what I believe he has placed on my heart to do that he would present an obvious oppertunity for me to do whatever it is and that God would open the doors for me to simply walk right thru.

Then of course I always have a coverage of prayer of other christians on the ministry situation. Never leave home without it ;)

Sue