1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moderate Calvinism? or Severe Doctrinal Declension?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some have recently speculated on why doctrinal decline takes place...here is a good part of the reason.

From Calvinism /Arminianism;pg.56...by W.R. Downing..used by permission;

Biblical truth and consistency demand free and sovereign grace and an effectual call if man is, indeed, totally depraved in the biblical sense. All forms of “Moderate Calvinism” are, in reality, both inherently contradictory and a refined Arminianism—an attempt to escape the disapprobation of being called a Calvinist and to accommodate a given amount of humanistic philosophy. The great Baptist evangelist and commentator, Robert Haldane, has stated the matter in a concise and very clear way in his comment upon Romans 9:18:

Many call themselves moderate Calvinists, a denomination to which it is not easy to affix a precise idea. To the system called Calvinism, there may be nearer or more distant approaches, but those who deny any of the peculiar doctrines of that system cannot in any sense be called Calvinists. To affix the term Calvinism to any system, from which the doctrine of predestination is excluded, or in which it is even modified, is entirely a misnomer.

Some profess Calvinism but affect to hold it in a more unexceptionable manner than it is held in the system in general. They seem to think that in the defense of that system, Calvin was extravagant and that he gave unnecessary offense by exaggerated statements, and by language not warranted by the Scriptures. Such persons, it is presumed, are strangers to the writings of Calvin. Calvin himself is remarkable for keeping on Scripture ground and avoiding anything that may justly be termed extravagant. No writer has ever indulged less in metaphysical speculation on the deep things of God than this writer. To support his system, it was necessary only to exhibit Scripture testimony; and he seems quite contented to rest the matter on this foundation.

What is called moderate Calvinism is in reality refined Arminianism. It is impossible to modify the former without sliding into the latter. If the doctrine of God’s sovereignty and of unconditional election be denied, regeneration and redemption must undergo a corresponding modification, and all the doctrines of grace will be more or less affected..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ibid,pt2 pg97;
    THE OPPOSITION OF HUMANISTIC PHILOSOPHIES AND OTHER SYSTEMS TO CALVINISM

Every humanistic philosophy during and since the sixteenth century has opposed Calvinism. This opposition arises from two major sources:

The presupposition that man is autonomous, the source and interpreter of truth, and can live with meaning and purpose apart from a Sovereign God and his infallible Word. From the Renaissance and Enlightenment philosophy to modern existentialism, every school of humanistic thought has risen against the truth that man can only know himself and reality in the context of the self–disclosing, triune God of Scripture.

Calvinism is the only consistent Christian theism, and so is the only Christianity that possesses an inclusive and consistent world–and–life view. Thus, Calvinism poses the only consistent and intelligent threat or alternative to humanistic philosophy. (Pelagianism, semi–Pelagianism or Arminianism are all essentially humanistic and deterministic as they begin with a rationalistic approach to Scripture, posit a “limited god,” the autonomy [“free will”] of man, and deny Divine absolute predestination).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to their Calvinism where would you put men like Andrew Fuller, William Carey, or C.H. Spurgeon in contrast to John Gill?

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Years ago I read the Cause of God and Truth. I enjoyed it but I did feel that John Gill leaned towards supralapsarianism. I enjoy his writing, but as with most trusted guides, I do not follow along when I feel they are going beyond scripture.
    The others did not have as hard of an edge.I see them listed together like this portion from this same book;
    The Modern Missions Movement. The so–called “Birth of Modern Missions” traditionally began with a sermon by William Carey, a Calvinistic or Particular Baptist, on May 31, 1792,327 from Isaiah 54:2, “Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thy habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords

323 Lemuel Call Barnes, Two Thousand Years of Missions Before Carey. Chicago: Student Missionary Campaign Library, 1902. pp. 396–417. This chapter gives an extended list of early Calvinistic missionaries to the Indians of the New England area. Cf. also John T. McNeill, Op. cit., p. 382. 324 The years noted mark the beginnings of the ministries of these men. 325 Barnes, Loc. cit.; Neville B. Cryer, “John Eliot,” Five Pioneer Missionaries. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1965, pp. 171–231.
    326 Brainerd’s Diary had a profound influence upon all the great missionaries of the nineteenth century: The record of the fastings and prayers of David Brainerd, and of the power of God which followed, written only for himself but published by Jonathan Edwards after his death, has brought rich blessing to the world. William Carey read it on his shoemaker’s bench, and asked, ‘If God can do such things among the Indians of America, why not among the pagans of India?’ Henry Martyn, the thoughtful student in Cambridge, England, read it, and was moved by it to consecrate his life to missionary service in the East. Edward Payson pondered it, and when twenty–two years of age wrote in his diary: ‘In reading Mr Brainerd’s life, I seemed to feel a most earnest desire after some portion of his Spirit’. A. J. Gordon, quoted by W. J. Grier, The Best Books., p. 30. 327 Carey had been writing tracts on the subject of foreign missions for some time, and both praying and speaking to promote this cause. 118

and strengthen thy stakes...” His sermon had two points: “Expect great things from God” and “Attempt great things for God.”328

The ultimate result was the establishment of the Particular Baptist Missionary Society and Carey going forth under its auspices as a missionary to India. Thus, the so–called “Father of Modern Missions”329 was both a Calvinist and a Baptist.

It is often cast up against Calvinists that John Ryland, Sr., on hearing one of Carey’s earlier sermons about foreign missions, rose up and said something to the effect, “Young man, sit down! When God is pleased to save the heathen, He will do it without your help or mine!” This is supposed to be a prime example of the Calvinistic [or hyper–Calvinistic] retort to missions and Gospel evangelism. Even S. Pierce Carey, a great–grandson of William (Op. cit., p. 47), gives some credence to this reaction, although it stands as an historical question, as it has been denied by his son, Dr. John Ryland, Jr. See Ibid., p. 47. The following is from W. A. Jarrell concerning this incident:

The following from the London Freeman, of 1892, corrects a report which is almost received as history: “The assertion which has appeared in print several times recently that the Rev. John Ryland, Sr., M.A., father of Dr. Ryland, said to Dr. ( then Mr.) Carey, when the latter suggested at a meeting of ministers at Northampton, in 1785 or 1786, the duty of sending the gospel to the heathen: ‘Young man, sit down; when God wishes to convert the heathen he will do it without your help or mine,’ is not true. Dr. Ryland in his Life of Andrew Fuller, says in a footnote on page 112, sec. ed., that his father had left Northampton before the minister’s meeting of 1786, and that he (Dr. Ryland) well–remembered both of the discussions which took place at the minister’s meeting in 1785 in which ‘no room was left for that ill natured anecdote.’ Dr. Ryland also says: “I never heard of it until I saw it in print and I cannot credit it. No man prayed and preached about the latter day glory more than my father, nor did I ever hear such sentiments proceed from him as are here attributed to him. Quoted from W. A. Jarrell, Baptist Church Perpetuity or History, p. 417.

Other Calvinistic Baptist missionaries include John Marshman and John Ward330 of England, and Adoniram Judson (1788–1850), the second American foreign missionary.331 He was the pioneer missionary to Burma and suffered sickness, disease, imprisonment and torture for the truth of the Gospel.332 Other early Calvinistic Baptist missionaries included Luther Rice, G. D. Boardman, Samuel

328 Some mistakenly reverse the two, but Carey was a thorough Calvinist, and not given to presumption. See S. Pierce Carey, William Carey, p. 77. 329 This title properly belongs to John Calvin, see footnote 195. It should also be noted that the first American foreign missionary was not Adoniram Judson, but George Lisle (sometimes spelled Leile), a freed slave of Henry Sharpe, who first served as a pastor of a Black Baptist Church in Savannah, and then was sent as a Baptist missionary to Jamaica a decade before William Carey went to India. See H. Leon McBeth, The Baptist Heritage, p. 779. 330 Marshman and Ward were associates of Carey. Ward baptized Adoniram and Nancy Judson upon their arrival in India. 331 See footnote 329. 332 Cf. Anderson, Courtney, To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1987 reprint. 530 pp. 119

The footnotes in this book are worth the book!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another factor or problem I have found is that without much in the way of formal training, A person who is more self-taught reads on a few of these men. Without others around who have read similar material, you do not get to sort through the writing or teaching..I find many strengths in reformed churches, but some built-in weaknesses.
    Some of the men get so educated that they forget how to communicate with those who have not had a chance to take in as much bible, and doctrine, or look for what the Puritans referred to as the USES of the teaching.
    When I was reading Gill there were not too many I could run the ideas by.., But having bought the Tabernacle and New Park Street Pulpit, I saw how CHS would plead with sinners to repent, so it helped keep me in the mainstream.. I think AW. Pink, John Murray,William Hendricksen, JL.Dagg, and JP. Boyce were all mainstream, with different strengths and weaknesses.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know enough about Andrew Fuller's Calvinistic views but in regards to Carey and Spurgeon, I am not sure they differ much at all from John Gill. Gill is often charged by his detractors with being a hyper-Calvinist. This charge is made because Gill was outspoken on the fact that the Gospel is only effectual for the Elect. This did not mean that he believed that the Gospel should not be freely proclaimed. Spurgeon, Carey, and Gill did not differ on their orthodox views of Calvinism. although the former nuanced a more pastoral approach. As a missionary to India, Carey famously proclaimed the Gospel to a pagan people. Spurgeon's Calvinism is well known, but he also possessed a tender shepherd's heart. He preached the Gospel as far as his voice would carry, but he also knew that only the Elect would believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminianism = gutless Calvinism

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Calvinism works best as Calvinism (not a moderate form). A rejection of one point places the system on a weaker ground because the theology builds on itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ran the Man

Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    if Calvinism is so consistent, why try to "talk us into beleiving it?" Weren't we predestined from the beginning not to believe it? Is that consistent?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He never said he was.

So what.

Even Greg Boyd agrees that it is consistent. As he says, "As I once was a Calvinist, I can understand how it could be exegetically true."

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thank the Lord he predestined me to me a non-Calvinist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    , people are already born non-calvinist.then they study the scriptures diligently they come to understand it a bit at a time.
    As soon as someone makes a profession of faith in Christ as God is working in them they already begin to pray as a calvinist. You go to prayer meeting and then
    Are asking God to save family members and Friends

#12 Iconoclast, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nice of you to admit that people can understand the scriptures of their own ability. You're making progress!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well no of course 1st Corinthians chapter 2 and verse 14 teachers the opposite of that. But that goes to show you the truth that when anyone has a God-given faith they already in part are calvinist but they do not understand the full implications of it yet. That's why it takes some time and some study to actually see the hand of God all through scripture and understand what comes to be known as Calvinism

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1969 confessions are not in the Bible. They are not part of the scripture. Neither is Watchtower literature nor the book of Mormon.

16. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, why do you guys use such funny language:
    1689 confession- was somebody convicted of a crime?
    Seminary- I know the root word
    Penal Substitution- uh.....
    Reformed- so you were sent to prison and now you're out?
    Dutch Reformed- so you commited a crime in Holland and now you're out?

#16 Ran the Man, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense. So what was God doing for the first 1500 years of Christianity before there was a John Calvin?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no, of course 1 Cor. 2 taken in context clearly says that the natural man cannot understand the "hidden wisdom of God" (v.7) or the "deep things of God" (v.10)

Man can receive the Gospel, because it is the power of God unto salvation, for everyone that believes...
    Some will hear the Gospel, be persuaded, and believe, some will hear it and not believe. (Acts 28: 23-24).
    The Bible even says that the generic Gentile will hear the Gospel. (Acts 28:28) The Gospel can be received by the natural man; the deeper spiritual things cannot.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ran the Man,
    RTM,
    They are not in the bible but the bible is in the confession.
    Let me show you what I mean because at this point you seem to be a person In need:Sick
    The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

here is the confession of faith. If you want to attempt to oppose it you should make at least an attempt to know what it teaches.here is the section on God's decree;

Chapter 3: Of God's Decree
    1._____ God hath decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby is God neither the author of sin nor hath fellowship with any therein; nor is violence offered to the will of the creature, nor yet is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established; in which appears his wisdom in disposing all things, and power and faithfulness in accomplishing his decree.
    ( Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 6:17; Romans 9:15, 18; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5; Acts 4:27, 28; John 19:11; Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:3-5 )
    2._____ Although God knoweth whatsoever may or can come to pass, upon all supposed conditions, yet hath he not decreed anything, because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.
    ( Acts 15:18; Romans 9:11, 13, 16, 18 )

3._____ By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated, or foreordained to eternal life through Jesus Christ, to the praise of his glorious grace; others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of his glorious justice.
    ( 1 Timothy 5:21; Matthew 25:34; Ephesians 1:5, 6; Romans 9:22, 23; Jude 4 )

4.______These angels and men thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.
    ( 2 Timothy 2:19; John 13:18 )

5._____ Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to his eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of his will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of his mere free grace and love, without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving him thereunto.
    ( Ephesians 1:4, 9, 11; Romans 8:30; 2 Timothy 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Romans 9:13, 16; Ephesians 2:5, 12 )

6._____ As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so he hath, by the eternal and most free purpose of his will, foreordained all the means thereunto; wherefore they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ, are effectually called unto faith in Christ, by his Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified, and kept by his power through faith unto salvation; neither are any other redeemed by Christ, or effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.
    ( 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:9, 10; Romans 8:30; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:5; John 10:26; John 17:9; John 6:64 )

7._____ The doctrine of the high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care, that men attending the will of God revealed in his Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election; so shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God, and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the gospel.
    ( 1 Thessalonians 1:4, 5; 2 Peter 1:10; Ephesians 1:6; Romans 11:33; Romans 11:5, 6, 20; Luke 10:20 )

The numbers here are bible verses, there are about 53 bible verses that are offered here .
    That is 53 more bible verses than you use in any of your "posts".
    Look up the verses and then explain to us why iyt is so wrong.:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    InTheLight,

Let's look;

I do not follow your suggestion for this reason, those words are not in that verse or implied by that verse.

In verses 1-8 Paul is contrasting spiritual wisdom ,Kingdom wisdom, contrasted to worldly wisdom.

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Yes...it is for every believing one...no one disagrees

No it cannot. paul makes it clear that regeneration is necessary for a natural person to be trn=ansformed into a Spiritual person;
    ITL look here in the preceding verses

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

[
    ITL, do the unsaved natural men have the Spirit, before they are saved?]

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

{
    ITL, notice it speaks of the THINGS OF God....not the hidden wisdom, not the mysteries}

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So your context idea does not change this at all, as it has not changed it at any time in the church

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.