1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moderating not Editorializing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Baptist_Pastor/Theologian, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

I just want to say how disappointed I am with the job rsr has been doing as a moderator on this board. He has closed at least the last three threads that have been closed. He just got done butchering the case for a closed communion thread. Is anyone else here bothered by the editing that he has done on the closed communion thread. I think that to warn those involved they need to change the tone is one thing but editing the posts to the extent that he is out right a violation of the trust that posters place in Baptist Board. If a thread is that bad then ban the guilty parties or close the thread entirely but to go back and remove 80% of a post and think it in any way represents the initial intent of the poster is ridiculous. I would like to see if we can find some type of an explanation from the given moderators on this board for this behavior. If this is the policy of Baptist Board, then I for one am not sure that I will in good conscious submit myself to the tyrannical rule of a narrow minded editor the likes of rsr.

One Man's Opinion for what it is worth!

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I am sure it is the policy of the BB to PM a moderator with any concerns instead of airing them in public.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

hm. Yep, maybe you should PM this to rsr and someone higher.

4. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

I want to know if I am alone in my concerns, I have already made my mind up that rsr has overstepped his given role as moderator in my humble opinion.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Is this how you would handle a situation in real time? Take a poll? or would you go to the person?

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

It would seem that you are not just looking to voice your opinion, it looks as if you're looking for other to 'jump' on your bandwagon...

Having made your mind up without talking in private to rsr isn't making your case in my humble opinion.

You may disagree with him, and his way of handling things, but you should at least be openminded when talking to him to find out if he had a valid point for doing what you claim he did. If, after the talk, you don't agree then make up your mind.

I am sorry you're not happy with the way things have been handled, but you're not doing yourself any justice having made up your mind already and you're not open to listen to his side.

Jamie

7. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Am I not entitled to make a point?

The people that I am interesting in hearing from are the ones who by in large put their hearts and souls in the discussions we enjoy while in here. I am a man of the people. I also want to give the moderators a chance to explain to these people what they view as their role in editorializing vs. directing the flow of discourse through constructive suggestions. Shouldn't an attempt be made to redirect before there is an outright takeover of a thread with a subsequent radical editorializing of the content?

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

You are allowed to make a point, but in this case your point is at someone else's expense -- your point is a that a person is not handling their job correctly.

So, you should go to that person privately first.

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I just went to the thread you are talking about the in it, rsr apologized for over-editing some of the posts.

Also, think of it this way... if the posters in that thread hadn't started name calling and attacking each other, which by the way, is against the rules of this BB, then rsr wouldn't have had to go in there to start with would he?

I agree you are entitled to your point, but I think that you're jumping the gun. You should talk to rsr first, before coming to the "board"...

I have had my share of problems with moderators, and yet, I haven't posted in public about any of them.. I have managed to work things out in PM's. Isn't that how it's suppose to be done?

Calm down a little. Think things through and I am sure you will agree..:flower:

Jamie

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You created the situation, so live with it. What a man sows that shall he reap. Or in modern day language, what goes around comes around.

#10 saturneptune, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  11. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

I have personally witness three thread closed with no prior warning. He did edit substantially the prior to this latest one. Unless he is the official moderator for closing down threads, the others do not seem to get as heavily involved.

BTW, there were no names being crossed back and forth at one another. Name calling would be wrong, but are people not entitled to disagree.

In that thread in particular a poster came in espousing kenosis christological principles. I explained that that was a type of heresy and why, to which that entire post was 95% edited. Can we not expose heresy in a theological forum? That is what drove me over the edge is when he edited what was a very fair treatment of a clear heresy.

If we cannot stand for biblical principles in this forum then what is the point. Can we also not explain that Islam is a false religion? Why then when someone wants to devoid the earthly Jesus of his divinity, can I not explain why that is a heresy? That is just an example of one the discussions that were edited.

Of course once the entire post is gone he can just say, well they were name calling. That was hardly the case.

Some of you have made your point that you are not comfortable with open conflict. I have heard your concern. But I assure I think this will help BB in the long run.

12. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

This is a good example of the type of exchange that was edited. Nept was one of the main detractors. Should his above statement constitute name calling? I do not think so. Is his comment given in order to advance the chosen topic, maybe not but unless he calls me something offensive he has a right to his opinion. Thanks for sharing nept.:thumbs:

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Was there an election I missed? No one asked you to speak to anyone else on our behalf. If you had a problem with someone in your church, as the "pastor/theologian", would you like them to talk about you with everyone else before talking to you? Time for you to put your actions were your title says you are and start acting like a "pastor/theologian".

Bro Tony

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My concerns have nothing to do with open conflict. We see it all the time. My concerns have everything to do with you taking a situation you do not like and a person with whom you disagree and putting it up for a poll -- trying to shame rsr publicly into moderating in a way that would make you happy. It appears that you are stubbornly refusing to consider counsel.

15. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Here is another good example of the type of detractor that is typically silenced in the process of hashing through the various discussion we have in here. What do you think, is Bro Tony's post a violation of BB policy? I don't think so. Granted he is making it aweful personal now but he is trying to hold a pastor to a higher standard, which I applaud.:applause:

My typical response to someone like Bro Tony is this...

Bro Tony maybe you need to consider that this a thread and not a church, therefore it is not a one to one comparison. So I am not necessarily bound by church polity in here. Secondly, you really do not know if I have PM rsr or not, so you are assuming I have not, which is pointly troubling. Third you need to read Matthew 7 before you make such statements.
    And when you are done reading that try Romans 14.

16. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Back at ya brother,

You have been advised several times to PM rsr and if you did and did not state so when you brought the issue in here then you have given false information. There is no one that has responded to your OP that believes you have done what is proper, are you above correction?

Secondly, you need to read the Scripture a little more carefully. Matthew 18 deals with an offending brother. The principle is biblical and not restricted to church "polity". I am willing to let you judge me by the Matthew 7 principle, are you? And as to Roman 14 you really need to read it as to being quarrelsome.

You are free to have any opinions you like. You are free to express them. This is not your board. The moderators are human beings who are brothers and sisters why not treat them so? You are also free to open your own board and pay for it if you do not like the way this one is run. Again, no one elected you to represent us.

Bro Tony

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If I was alone is my assesment of this individual's posts, there might be some reason to examine what was angering me about this person. Something is very wrong here, especially when every other post or private message is calling someone a heretic or telling them they need to be saved.

18. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

You are making assumptions here... I just warned Bro Tony about that and what I said to him applies to you as well.

Moreover, just because you gave me counsel does not mean that I consider it to be good counsel. The priesthood of the believer is an important Baptist doctrine. It keeps those over us from running roughshod over the basic autonomy of the individual and collective as the people.

I am not denying anyone a fair defense. I am offering any and all of the moderators a chance to enlighten those with whom they are given the responsibility to oversee.

Besides, what I am doing is entirely biblical. 1 Timothy 5 suggests that when an elder persists in error based on more than one witness to rebuke him openly.

19. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Exactly, Sis Mcdirector:thumbsup:

Bro Tony

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I read your original post, and I'm not the only one offering this counsel. I was not referring to myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.