1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern or older Bible usage in other lands...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Aug 4, 2008.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As we have people here from lands other than the USA & the UK, perhaps you could answer this: Do the Baptists or other Christians in the lands where English is not the predominant language use mostly modern Bibles in their language, or do they mostly use an older version(s)? And, in languages where several versions are available, is there any sorta "one-version-only" movement such as there is in the USA & UK?

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I am technically from the USA but I live in and am a resident of Argentina. So I guess that qualifies me to answer your question.

In Spanish, the most predominate Bible is the 1960 revision of the RVR- so its an old translation but a fairly modern revision. After that it would have to be the NVI- Nueva VersiĆ³n Internacional- which is the Spanish equivalent of the NIV.

So the answer would be yes I think. They tend to use at least an updated revision of an old translation as well as newer translations.
    In regards to your second question. There really is not much of a one Bible only movement except for those who have been influenced by KJVO missionaries but that seems to me at least, to be a very very small majority.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

In Mexico the case is much the same as in Argentina. There are some who still use the RV 'Antigua' Bible (1909), and a very small minority who use the Gomez Bible, but the RV1960 is the most prevalent. Considering the fact that Mexico is now sending missionaries to other parts of the world, God has blessed His Word in the RV 1960.