1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

modern slavery

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by billwald, Nov 3, 2004.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Another post wished to compare the modern wage system with slavery. The difference is that 90% of the modern wage slaves are happy or at least insufficiently unhappy to chance a change in the system.

2000 years ago 90% of the population were slaves or defacto slaves enabeling the 10% to live well. These days maybe 30% or 40% of the population are wage slaves, enabeling the rest to live well.

Who are the wage slaves? (one example)The half of all credit card holders who carry an average $8,000 balance. The people who buy toys on credit. They are the ones who keep the economy going and enable me to live very well on a 60% pension.

Why are the wage slaves happy? Because they have the same sort of toys that the rich people have. I have a very rich relative. He doesn't have any kind of toy that people on welfare can't have. The difference is that his toys are of a better quality.

In the bad old days, poor people starved and froze to death. These days poor people are dying from over weight, booze, and ciggy butts.

These days primary advantages of being rich are better toys and not having to stand in lines.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a bunch of tripe.

No one is ever forced to use credit, or extend themselves via their credit lines. A person who does this has done so voluntarily. If h is a slave, that he is a slave to his own irresponsibility.
    One of the problems is that the phrase "rich" is very abmiguous. Most people think of someone as "rich" as someone who has more money than them. Interestingly, my ex-wife makes more money then me, but she's always broke. I make less and pay her child support to boot, and I'm never broke, never overextended, and can still put money into savings. I also managed top purchase a home, while she's renting. Why? Because she's financially irresponsible. She equates wealth with spending. I equate wealth to spending less than you earn.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

rich = net worth, not cash flow. Thanks for agreeing.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I thought this thread was about Affirmative Action.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some need intervention from AA I think . . :D

6. JesusandGeorge04

JesusandGeorge04 New Member

Unless one has lost their job or come into finantial hardship which forces tough decisions on families... such as sleeping under a roof, or under the sky.