1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern Use of the Jesse Tree

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone use one or maybe even prefer The Jesse Tree over the Christmas tree? Ever made one? If so, how did it come out? Good for the kids?

“The secular Christmas Tree, and the Advent calendar, have been adapted in recent years by some modern Christians, who may use the term "Jesse Tree", although the tree does not usually show Jesse or the Ancestors of Christ, and so may have little or no relation to the traditional Tree of Jesse. This form is a poster or a real tree in the church or home, which over the course of Advent is decorated with symbols to represent stories leading up to the Christmas story, for the benefit of children. The symbols are simple, for example a burning bush for Moses and a ram for Isaac.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Jesse

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd never heard of it until you brought it up in this post.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

This is new to me too. I'll stick with my Christmas tree.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a Hanukkah Bush! With lights and ornaments. :saint:

5. tenor

tenor New Member

The Jesse Tree is a representation of the lineage of Jesus from Adam to Mary and Joseph as listed in Matthew and Luke. Oranaments are made to represent these ancestors and placed on an evergreen tree.

I've used this as part of Hanging of the Green service and also as the emphasis throughout the season of Advent.

Another alternative to a "Christmas" tree is the Chrismon tree. The Chrismon tree is decorated with a collection of ornaments that each represent a symbol of Jesus (Cross, Crown, Dove, anchor, Orb, etc.).

These can be very meaningful. My wife and I have used both a "CHristmas" tree (red and green, toys, Santa, etc.) and a Chrismon tree in our home.