1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern Worship and the Goatee

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm finding that most of the the people I know who sport a goatee also embrace modern worship, worship that is characterized by rock music, exhibitionism and other things in common with charismatic styles. According to this article, the Goatee was "...popularized by the musicians, baseball players, athletes and sports heroes of the day."

What do you think? Is there a connection?

2. Pete

Pete New Member

I dunno Aaron, I thought the goatee was just reserved for the musos...Along with the long black coat...

[​IMG]

3. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

I have a goatee, and while I don't mind some contemporary worship, my church is completely traditional in worship, and I'm fine with that.

My church is definitely not charismatic, and we would be most like reformed baptists except we are dispensational (but not overly so).

Didn't some of the Puritans have some real long beards/goatees? I think I remember seeing some pictures of the reformers with them also. [​IMG]

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek god, Pan sported goat's feet and two horns and plays sensual music on the reed.
    Do you think this is coincidental?
    I-don’t-think-so….
    Anyone with a goatee is in cahoots with the devil. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rob ;)

5. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

How funny! I never have thought of it before or tried to relate the two but it is common to see the two go together. Any church I have ever been in, the music director has always been clean shaven and of course they have always been traditional services. Now, I know the churches around here (by visiting their websites) who embrace the contemporary stuff, the worship leader as well as most of the staff have goatees or something of the like.

I think you may have unearthed something here Aaron [​IMG] [​IMG] What does it all mean!!! :confused:

6. mnw

mnw New Member

I believe the decrease in male facial hair can be linked directly to the decline in powerful, effective preachers and righteous living.

Less facial hair = worse preacher.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Forget the goatee, lets get big, full bushy beards back on the agenda!

MNW

7. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

Conservative, blended worship(leaning more to traditional)SBC pastor of a rural church. I have a crew cut with goatee, and have entertained the thought of a tattoo- but entertaining was as far as I got! The only reason I have the tee is because my beautiful wife loves it, and has threatened bodily harm if I shave it. Since I have had it, she likes to smooch more :eek: , so I am in no hurry to sahve it!! (Sorry to you hyper sensitive brethern if the smooch comment is offensive!! If it matters, it is always a HOLY kiss!!!)

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [sarcasm]According to flannelgraph and illustrations of bible stories, the early worship leaders had full beards. So goatee wearers are halfway towards returning to the standards of the NT church away from the worldly cultural corruptions of clean shaven worship leaders.[/sarcasm] ;)

9. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Aaron, I have not seen a connection in my church. There are three men in my church who wear goatees, one an assistant who helps with the youth and the music. We are probably about the most traditional, conservative, non-charismatic, non-contemporary church around.

10. Pete

Pete New Member

"AMEN MNW!! PREACH IT!!!" said Pete.

[​IMG]<-- Pete ;)

11. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I vary between a goatee, half-a-goatee, just a patch, clean shaven, long side burns, no side burns, short hair and longer hair. I usually have a different look of some sort about every 3-6 months. I am a change kind of guy. I do refuse to grow a mullet though.

And we are an extremely contemporary church.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I wear a goatee and there is no one more conservative than I am, especially in my worship style and music.

13. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I guess that means my husband is in real trouble. Every time he has tried to grow anything it looks like a crop failure! [​IMG]

14. standingfirminChrist

Wore a goatee years ago. Didn't change my music preferences to Rock and Roll. Nor to any other form of CCM.

Decided to just let it cover my face.

[​IMG]

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I cant see a correlation in my experience. But I do think the goatee is very nice looking. [​IMG]

16. Pete

Pete New Member

standingfirminChrist, if THAT is a goatee then I'm going to have to take back a few things I've said about goatees :eek: ;) [​IMG]

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I hope you jest!!

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You don't need a barber. You need a sheep shearer! :D

19. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hey! I grow a goatee during archery-deer season. No wonder I tend to lean contemporary during those times!

Aaron, you forgot to mention the moused-up hair that goes along with the goatee!

20. mnw

mnw New Member

Just to clarify, I do jest... in part. I realise facial hair does not effect our preaching (unless you can use it to store snacks to sustain you in a lengthy sermon).

It would be interesting to see whether the trend from beards to no beards began in the church or in the secular realm.

I have heard that preachers always wore suits and the mafia copied their style to appear more respectable.

Perhaps preachers started shaving to look more fashionable which betrayed too much interest in the affairs of the world and thus, their relationship with Christ suffered because of their carnal inclinations and subsequently their preaching became worse, hence, less facial hair is not a bad thing in and of itelsf but the means by which it came about, is and the generations of preachers that followed had a less solid foundation, therefore we have the situation we are in today. (Man, I was trying to get a heretofore in there but it would not work...)

May the bearded ones inherit the earth.

Pete, that is some beard... you must be a good preacher! [​IMG]

MNW