1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern Worship and the Goatee

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

In your church is the key here. It still does not make it correct in general across the board. </font>[/QUOTE]And when did I generalise? Our church is different from your church.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Who is judging whom here?

You seem to be making a general statement that having a goatee is symptimatic of a spiritual problem. This is evidenced by your comment thanking God that your pastor doesn't wear a goatee.

I contend that your sample base is not large enough to draw any kind of conclusion.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No, but the world does contend with the church. If it is offensive to the world, I abstain, remembering it is the world that stands in the seat of judging the Christian. I can only remind other Christians of this, I do not judge to anyone's hurt, only to their edification. And I also am NOT looking for occasion to make my brother stumble.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So do you contend that wearing a goatee is offensive to the world or causes a brother to stumble?

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I believe, Brother, that is exactly the problem, you contend.

Your statement,"Talk about the classic hasty generalisation. " wreaks with a judgemental attitude calling my reference a "classic, hasty" generalisation. If that wasn't your intention, then forgive me, but you should look at your remarks a little closer next time.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

By these standards my church should require all men to wear beards. What a conundrum!

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I believe, Brother, that is exactly the problem, you contend.

Your statement,"Talk about the classic hasty generalisation. " wreaks with a judgemental attitude calling my reference a "classic, hasty" generalisation. If that wasn't your intention, then forgive me, but you should look at your remarks a little closer next time.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No judgement of you at all my brother, just a statement of fact. To base an opinion on two men in one church is a hasty generalisation. That is a simple fact.

8. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I have to say, as a non American Baptist, that Salamander's argument on this topic is among the most banal I have ever heard!!

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No, I don't contend anything of the such, but the world contends that taking on the appearances of what it considers to be too closely likened to those who only like to be called Christian, then you should ask the world why.

It may be that your experience in dealing with lost people hasn't reached the point of knowing what they think and you should have more contact asking them what offends them and keeps them from the church? I have had many conversatuions with lost people, I have been lost and dead in tresspasses and sins, sitting in their seat of judgement. Knowing what so many professing Chrsitians do and say to be so very different inspires me to be something of a spectacle and very peculiar to the world, not linked so closely they cannot see the difference.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Excuse me? When did i base my opinion on the subject by these two men in our church? All I did weas give the percentage and relate their interest to CCM.

My opinion? Well, now that you ask: I don't wear a goatee, or a beard, well, not for more than two days, it itches my sensitive skin tool much and leaves a rash.

Now ask the world its opinion.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry Sal,

My whole life is spent with lost people. I only know 4-5 Christians in my town.

Not a single lost person I know is turned away from Christ by my goatee.

I assure, my life is so different from my friends that they see a difference, and it is much deeper than facial hair or lack of it.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Exactly right, this has been my experience as well.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So, my "arguement" lacks originality, not considered a novelty?

Would you mind not using such archaic words? [​IMG]

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Oh. OK, so you had to go to where a Christian is so unknown to wear your goatee and feel justified???????? You don't know many lost people as you think

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Exactly right, this has been my experience as well. </font>[/QUOTE]You, neither know many lost people. Your experience may be different than mine, that would have to do with location and the present time. The world does accept more of what it used not to accept, as well, the church accepts more of what "used" to be the world's attire and appearance than it ever did before, but that is to their shame.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My dear brother,

You don't have a clue who I deal with. You have made a pre-judgement based on my goatee and everything I say is going to be judged on that prejudice.

I have no need to "feel justified" to you or anyone else in wearing a goatee.

Simple question - what Bible basis do you have for your prejudicial view of goatees?

Back to the OP - "Does wearing a goatee affect your worship style?" In my case - no. We have a very traditional, conservative service where we sing hymns and I even preach from the KJV [​IMG] !

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sal, you know nothing of my life and the people I know and do not know. Please do not act as if you do.

I am around lost people all the time in our community and I have not once had a lost person turned off by my goatee.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Neither do you have a clue of who I am or where I've been. All I see is this is a method used to attack your brethren who have physical reasons why I don't wear a beard, period. I have no prejudice in considering goatees, I have only offered a small percetage of people in our church as a measure, not the rule, but that doesn't apply logistically as the church is becoming more worldly, and the world becoming more churchy, something of which you have a tremendous part in. I choose to behave differently and you condmen me for that with your accusations.

God Bless and See you in heaven

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Never was a condemnation from this direction my brother, nothing even similar to it. All the judgement came from one direction.

Of course God's word says nothing about wearing or not wearing facial hair or its effect on our spirituality. It has NOTHING to do with any one of walks with God.

Back to the OP - "Does wearing a goatee affect your worship style?" In my case - no. We have a very traditional, conservative service where we sing hymns and I even preach from the KJV [Smile] !