1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modes of Baptism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Jun 8, 2011.

?
  1. Immersion

42 vote(s)
    97.7%
  2. Sprinkling

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Pouring

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Other (please explain)

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My baptist Church does NOT have it as an absolute requirement for membership, but we do emphasis it as being Biblical and required in obedience to the Lord to be baptised as a believer in Christ...

Does NOT save you or add to it, but as way to meet obligation God has commanded us to observe, to be Baptised in Immersion...

Many of my Church were originally Roman Catholics who became saved and joined the baptist Church, and most of them decided to redo Baptist now as believers in order to have a "real" baptism moment/experience!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here's one reason: Jesus, in his Great Commission specifically told us the mode we should use:"....immersing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."

I can't find where he cut us any slack about that.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must disagree with your Presbyterian pastor. I'm afraid he approached the Greek NT with his pre-understandings intact, and read into the Bible what he wanted to believe.

There are only two places in Hebrews where any of the cognate words of baptizo occur, and those are not the verb or the noun of "baptism," but are both the word baptismoV (baptismos), which does refer to the Hebrew ceremonial washings. This word only occurs four times in the NT: Mark 7:4 & 8 (ceremonial washing of dishes), Heb. 6:2 and 9:10 (both "washings," plural, obviously meaning the Jewish ceremonies). So, there is no place in the NT where the word used here is used provably for John's or Christian baptism, though some take Heb. 6:2 as such.

Furthermore, even this word means immersion. You normally wash a cup by immersing it. The Jews had immersion ceremonies, not pouring ceremonies. Here is the Anlex (by the Fribergs) definition of baptismos: