1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modest Swim

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by John3v36, Sep 7, 2003.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Hi! All

I found this web site for Modest Swim ware. I get nothing from the sale of the suits but thought that this was such a great idea that it needed to be passed along. I have long thought about how our clothing influences the way we think and how it affects others. I was thinking you could use or know someone who could use this suit. the web site is below.

http://www.swimmodest.com/

I would like to also know your thought on the subject.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Not bad John.

There might be a market for it, but most of the people I know that are concerned about "swimming modestly" do not participate in "mixed swimming".

It is not so much what they or their kids wear, but what they have to see OTHER people wearing (or more correctly, not wearing). :eek:

3. mioque

mioque New Member

This takes one back to the early (19th century) days of vacationing at the seaside. :D

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I personally wouldn't wear one of those. [​IMG]

6. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I would hope not!!! Because

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman‘s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God

[​IMG]

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yeah, that and also because I'd prefer race cars and rocketships on my clothes than flowers and palm trees. [​IMG]

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard about the gal who got kicked out of her Baptist church for wearing an immodest swim suit?

Guess it had a hole in the knee. :rolleyes: [​IMG]

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

It doesn't strike me that once these swimsuits get completely soaked and start to cling, that they are going to be any more "modest" than a regular one-piece bathing suit.

I know a few women who wear a regular one-piece underneath an oversized t-shirt. Problem solved.

(Of course, the argument has been made that context determines what is modest and what is not, and that at the beach a regular swimsuit is perfectly appropriate. I tend to accept this.)

10. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

[​IMG]

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I wouldn't wear it.

Diane

12. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Why!

13. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel , with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

What is wrong with being modest? I know that the question is going to come up "what is modest"?
    But, don't you think we should not see how close we can get to the line without going over?

14. aefting

aefting New Member

Personally, I don't think they are modest enough. The standard in my home, when we go swimming, is to be covered from the neck to the knee, for both my wife and I. Practically, that means that my wife wears a one-piece bathing suit underneath a dark t-shirt and long shorts. I wear regular swim shorts that come to my knee and a shirt. We recently went to REI and got some pretty nice stuff that dries off quickly after it gets wet.

We also avoid places where there is a lot of public exposure so that I will not be unduly tempted.

Andy

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Why? The outfit is very form fitting. I have a tiny waist and shapely hips. I think, when wet, it would look more alluring than a modest suit covered with long shorts. I would think, for a young woman or a thinner woman, this would be more suggestive.

The sarong style calls attention to the slit and legs. Baggy bathing suit type shorts (don't know what they really are but hubby found me some maroon / long shorts that are loose fitting and in a swim suit type material. That stuff that feels like parachutes) don't attract the eye to that flowing slit. I wear those over a one piece swim suit.

I also wouldn't want the sleeves either. I wear sleeveless blouses in the south here and any suntan line would look funny.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Diane, the US Constitution guarantees you the right to bare arms. :rolleyes:

17. showard93

showard93 New Member

I think they are more modest than most swim suits but I also agree with Diane there not modest enough for me. After I was saved and the Lord started working on me and I begin to make some changes in my life, The hardest thing for me was swiming because I loved it so and it was a great big weakness for me. I honestly prayed about it and now when we swim which is only praobably 3-5 times a summer. I wear a skirt and a dark shirt and it is only me and my husband and our 3 children. I can do anything in the water with a skirt on that I could when I wore a swimsuit.

18. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This verse applies to cross-dressing, and has nothing to do with modesty.

[ September 08, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Baptist in Richmond ]

19. Baptist in Richmond

Swimming is probably one of the best ways to get a good cardiovascular workout. There is nothing wrong with swimming, so I am curious as to why you think that you had a weakness in this area of your life. I am not being judgmental in any way. I simply was curious as to your rationale.

Until about nine months ago, I lived in Florida. I have never had a problem with mixed swimming, and really do not understand the relationship between mixed swimming and the lack of modesty. Sure: there are some suits that leave nothing to the imagination; however, there are suits that one can wear and be modest.

My wife and I used to spend a great deal of time in St. Augustine, and we found a church that we would attend if we were up there the entire weekend. They actually went to the beach together during the summer, and we had a fantastic time of fellowship with this church family. They had a club that got together and surfed (I really enjoyed that!).

20. Baptist in Richmond

Sorry, I only needed to post my question once!!