1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modest Swimwear?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Feb 12, 2004.

1. atestring

atestring New Member

There are catalogs that sell modest swimwear without selling impractical outfits.
    My wife pointed out to me that Lands End is a good source.
    I just stay with the Wal Mart Trunks.
    No speedo's for me!!!

2. onestand

onestand New Member

Mike, hehe respecting those who would wear this type of swimwear more power to them. I think however it might actually attract more looks and stares than wanted. Not exactly my taste but I'm glad they provide clothing for those who desire this.

Joan

3. onestand

onestand New Member

Johnv & Mike ****BIG HUGS**** HAHAHA FINALLY men who don't blame the female!!!!! That's awesome guys!!

Joan

4. atestring

atestring New Member

Who is this girl saluting
    with her left hand?

5. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Mockery, Mockery. Either you haven't been to the beach in the last 30 years,you are blind or your testosterone levels are dangerously low.

True attempts at modesty should not be mocked by those who aught to be praising those attempts.

6. Sularis

Sularis Member

Ill chip in as a single [snipped] male

Ladies its not the swimsuit - its what in the swimsuit that matters

BTW if I get fired because of lack of sleep due to nightmares again - Im blaming this thread

Let me share the horror and perhaps the image will go away

Youve seen people whose fat rolls over their fat?

Oh I saw this woman in a bikini, and she was fat rolling over her wrists, knees, and ankles,and other areas

Well at first I thought she was wearing a one-piecer just a bad colour choice - you know after its legal to go topless in Toronto, but after she passed me and the bridge stopped shaking and cracking - I turned around because I had for a second thought she could be nekkid - she was wearing a thong bikini and the only reason that I could tell was because it "stretched" far enough that it reached sunburnt zones

To make it worse it was a flesh colour bikini - the only way to detect she was wearing anything was because it streched across zones. Ive seen people on TV who needed to be carried out of the house to a doctor who were less then that ladies size

I appluad her for courage - and her mobility - but the nightmares that followed were not appreciated for the following week

[ March 03, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

7. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Number 1. Whatever you have - Keep it in a swimsuit.

Number 2. The incident above reminds me of the last time I took my family to a public beach. (About 25 years ago). We were on the beach sunning ourselves and watching our small children in the water just a few feet away when this lady that weighed at least 400 pounds came and proceeded to set up next to us.
    Almost a carbon copy of what happened to Sularis.
    Cured me. No more family trips to the beach.

8. onestand

onestand New Member

Loren, It's not mockery as much as it's just not everyone's particular taste in swimwear. I think it's possible to actually look good and still be modest.

Joan

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I was talking with some of the IFB moms at swim lessons on Monday about swimwear. One of the moms said her best friend growing up was an excellent water skier. After high school she went to Hyles Anderson College and was told she had to wear pants to water ski so she has never gone water sking again.

After Nick's swim lessons is the exercise class for elderly women with arthritis or stokes. These women are all much older than even me and they have some pretty modest swimwear. Needless to say, they have saggy arms and legs and tease about having built in water wings but you CAN find nice swimwear that isn't revealing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Someone earlier had mentioned Lands End. They have a lot like the above to chose from. You can mix and match sizes too.

Diane

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am glad people feel so good about themselves that they can mock and make fun of others who have physical problems, prayer seems more in order then mockery.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Are those swim wear Diane?
    I see nothng worng with wearing those together. The bottom even looks like a shirt, yet not so long to wrap around a woman's legs in the water.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yep, Donna! That's swim separates! You can get flowered tops and bottoms or stripes, mix and match solids with either too. Those are off Land's End!

Diane

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

I guess this is an example of how we will all read things differently. I did not read it as mocking but as amazement that a very overweight woman would wear an extremely abbreviated flesh-colored swimsuit. One would presume she thought it was in some way attractive. I would neither wear such an outfit nor have any illusions that people would think it was attractive. [​IMG]

Karen

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along this line of thought, I'll never forget a comment my Dad made re: a country singer back in late 40's, early 50's.

The country singer had a terrible voice, & Dad said so, but then added, " I don't guess he can help how he sounds, but he sure doesn't have to advertise it"! :rolleyes:

Everybody has flaws, but a person can dress/act/be such that the flaws are minimised & not magnified. [​IMG]

15. KimS

KimS New Member

Posted by Mike McK
    LOL [​IMG]

Posted by Diane
    Thanks Diane. I wanted swimwear EXACTLY like the ones in your pictures. Now I know where to get them. [​IMG]

Kim [​IMG]

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess this is an example of how we will all read things differently. I did not read it as mocking but as amazement that a very overweight woman would wear an extremely abbreviated flesh-colored swimsuit. One would presume she thought it was in some way attractive. I would neither wear such an outfit nor have any illusions that people would think it was attractive. [​IMG]

Karen
    </font>[/QUOTE]If it's wrong for any one woman, it is wrong for any woman. Not just an over weight woman. The fact an over weight woman was singled out is the probelm, she was judged on her weight, not on the fact no woman should dress that way.

17. Sularis

Sularis Member

Really - are you sure donnA

Are you willing to bet that there arent verses that suggest that in addition to standard morals - that there are relative morals?

18. onestand

onestand New Member

Donna, hmm actually when i made mention of this partiular swim outfit i didn't even notice any weight issue with the woman, my eyes were imediately drawn to her outfit. to be honest, the young lady doesn't appear to me to really have a big weight problem and until you mentioned something about it i never gave it a thought.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

So you think it's ok for women to wear a bikini if they are anorexic, but not other women? I don't think it's right for any woman to wear one. But it should encompass all women, not just the ones men may not want to lust after. Saying a woman should based only on her weight is wrong.

20. Karen

Karen Active Member

So you think it's ok for women to wear a bikini if they are anorexic, but not other women? I don't think it's right for any woman to wear one........</font>[/QUOTE]Dear donnA,

I'll go ahead and put words in Sularis' mouth. :D MAYBE an example of what he meant was that God may indeed lead some women to cover their hair and be "dresses only". However, you and I might see it as legalism for those women to tell us that, therefore, it is a binding command for us, too. You and I don't cover our hair, etc. A principle of modesty, for example, may have different applications. And I can see where some may think you and I are inconsistent, saying some things are always wrong such as flesh-colored bikinis, and some things are individual.

I don't THINK Sularis' original comments had anything to do with the morality of bikinis, as much as astonishment that a particular person thought she was attractive in a flesh-colored bikini.

Karen