1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modesty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

God doesn't tell us His standard on a slit in the skirt. I've seen some way up the thigh, and as the ones I wear which are fro my ankle to below my knee. So whats God's standard on that, what scripture is there that mentions this(the slit in my skirt). Scripture tells us very little about what we should be wearing.

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course both men and women should dress modestly, and of course every generation defines that for itself. (And appeals to the Bible to prove its' point. But that is just rationalizing as the Bible enjoins modesty without being all that specific.)

That said, I remember a dear saint of a SS teacher I had years back. He said that whenever you found someone livid because others don't dress up enough for church, you find someone cleaning up the outside and leaving the inside rotten.

He also said whenever you find a man raging about the immodesty of women, you find a man with a lust problem.

I tend to agree with him.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not as old as gramdma.

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

It doesnt take a Bible scholar to see the difference between a slit at the ankle to make walking easier, and a slit going up the thigh that is designed to let the thigh be noticed.

AJ

5. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Why is their a lot of hostility in this thread? Can people not make their point without "calling others out" or putting others down? What happened to brotherly love and correction?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, you said....
    Now you say something different.
    Either we can chose what we think is modest or we can't, which is it? You've stated two different opinions.

7. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

The scripture scripture doesnt mention tax fraud, crack, or insider trading, but we know from the overall message of the Bible that these things are wrong.

Some people call folks who preach modest dress 'legalists"....

I think the true legalists are the ones who say that if the Bible doesnt say specifically that I cant do it, then it must be ok. They end up splitting hairs to try to justify their own worldly desires.

AJ

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Frequently newbies consider debate to be hostility. If debate means hostility to you this might not be a pleasant place for you.

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I do believe that the standard that God sets is that you dont show skin that only your husband should see.

I am not saying anything different...you are splitting hairs.

AJ

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

What worldly desires am I splitting hairs over so I can do as I please? Since you said this, you need to be specific.
    A leagalist is one who tells others what they should do to gain God's grace. We've had a lot of them here in the past.
    I said nothing legalistic. I asked for scripture to support your statement.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

No I don't think so, I quoted you, your confused or aren't sure, one. You said two different things. So which is it.

12. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Thanks Donna, but I do know the difference. I may be a "newbie" to this particular board, but don't presume I haven't had my share of message board experience (too much probably :laugh:). I'm far from the message board "newb".

Lively debate can become hostile at times or at a minimum use demeaning tones. Words on a screen are hard to decipher sometimes, so I was simply trying to say (obviously I didn't do a good job of it) that we should be more careful in how we reply to each other. :thumbs:

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Good grief

Christian debate is healthy, even the apostles engaged in it. How else do we share views and learn from each other?

If you are referring to the debate currently between me and Donna...dont worry. I have seen enough of Donna's posts to know that she is a dedicated christian. We are just debating the topic, not becoming enemies.....

Are we Donna? LOL

AJ

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

A nice sentiment, but it's not found in Scripture.

Then if you're not wearing a robe, you're sinning?

You're name-calling shows a real Christlike love to others. Work on it.

Rbell <--believes in modesty; not too interested in extra-biblical standards.

15. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Actually I wasn't talking to either of you persay, but both you and her seemed to have taken offense to my statement. Sorry if I offended either of you. I was talking more about some of Brother Shane's posts and replies to him.

16. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

rbell~ you're telling me you need God to lay it down to you to dress up for Him or you won't do it?

Who said it had to be a robe? A robe is modest, yet the Bible doesn't say a robe is the only modest wear we may choose...

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Ok, I think that slits that are designed to give an occasional peek of the thigh are for the sole purpose of promoting sexuality, and this I believe is against the moral fabric of the scriptures.

I am IFB, and agree with almost all of the IFB doctrines and practices except for the pants on women issue. If they are made for women and are not designed to draw attention to certain body parts then I see no biblical reason not to wear them.

However, some of the women who claim to the "no pants" doctrine will wear a long skirt,,,,,way down past their knees, but it is slit up the side almost to their rear end....I dont get it. How can the thigh flashing thing be more biblical than the modest pants suit?

Maybe this explains better where I am coming from.

AJ

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Just pointing out inconsistencies...

Not to mention: Jesus called the Pharisees "whitewashed tombs." Seems dressing up didn't impress Him.

There. Scripture, versus no Scripture.

19. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

You can take anything out of context and make it your own, rbell, but why did He call them whited tombs? Because they were dressed nice on the outside but inside they were filthly. Don't forget He knows our hearts, and if putting on modest clothing isn't for Him, it's like it is not even there. I never said appearing beautiful made you holy, either. Next time, dig a lil deeper! :)

20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This thread is craaazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.