1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mohler's Top Three

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JRG39402, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to my copy of So Many Versions by Kubo and Specht (1975) the MLB is based on the 8th edition of Tichendorf's Greek text and Nestle's text at that time.But TR readings are scattered throughout with brackets and parentheses.

According to Philip Comfort the pre-1995 NASB,though based on the CT also uses TR readings a great deal with no brackets.I'm not sure if that applies to the current NASBU.

How much have you read it?Have you read the NIrV too?If so,what kinds of differences did you note?

My Norlie's Simplified New Testament:In Plain English --For Today's Reader is not nearly as easy a read as the NIrV for instance.But is excellent for the average literate person.Norlie's is a neglected treasure.I'll have to do a comparison one day against the MLB.If many Christians today haven't heard of the MLB they certainly don't know about the Norlie.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That might make a good thread.
    Although I haven't researched it, my impression was that the NASB primarily used the Nestle-Aland Greek text with only rare variations - and those tending to be more in line with the Greek text of Wescott and Hort.

My three:

NASB95
    NRSV
    ESV

Rob

#22 Deacon, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, so I broadly characterize it as CT-based.
    I read the NCV New Testament through once. I have not read the NIrV yet (but I have a copy). I included the qualifier "current favorite" for this reason.
    I have a copy of Norlie's but, alas, I have not taken opportunity to read it through. I can aquire Bibles faster than I can read them.

#23 franklinmonroe, Feb 25, 2009
  4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

NASB95
    NKJV
    NASB

I really don't have a 3rd choice so I sort of cheated on my list. [​IMG]

When I'm online, I often look up passages in several versions including the NIV, KJV, and NLT.

I also look at the NET Bible.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you waiting on man?Norlie is narly dude.(As some would have said a quarter century ago.)

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't it "gnarly"?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can be : "knarly""gnarly", or "narly".I like simplicity.

#27 Rippon, Feb 25, 2009
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

UBS 4 rev.
    MT
    NAS

9. queenbee

queenbee Member

Except for TNIV, I'm with you on this one Rippon. Really enjoying my NLTse and the HCSB's very fine as well. Will be interesting to see how the ISV stacks up.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And why aren't you so keen on the TNIV?Some strengths of the NLTse and the HCSB are present within Today's New International Version.

11. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nkjv
    Niv
    Nasv

12. queenbee

queenbee Member

Truthfully - I've never really enjoyed the NIV. Don't know why - guess I just couldn't 'get into it'. Also, I'm given to understand that there have been a lot of errors, omissions in the NIV. I know that my hubby has recently switched from his older NIV to NKJV. Perhaps it's a bias, I guess I'm assuming that a lot of the same is true of the 'new' version. Has it been cleaned up a lot? Maybe I should take a 2nd look.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TNIV - preaching, teaching, studying default
    NRSV - what I would use(d) if the TNIV wasn't around
    NLT - I actually prefer NLT 1 compared to the current revision NLT 2

Used the ESV for awhile, but ended up with it in the same boat as when I used the the KJV, using the phrase "what that means is...."

The old NIV would be number 4

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

The same three. I've been using the NASB for years and love it.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have been given to understand this or that.Based on what sources?Have you been influenced by KJVO material? Have you come under the influence of World Magazine,Wayne Grudem, L.Ryken,John Piper, or James Dobson?

Tell me the sources and I'll do my best to respond.

16. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

NIV
    NASB
    NKJV

The NIV is the translation that I have used for most of the last 12 years. It is just so comfortable and natural to reach for that translation first. I'm starting to read more from the NASB and NKJV also.

17. queenbee

queenbee Member

Yes, I believe it was on another website that I'd read Wayne Grudem's critique of the NIV and L. Ryken as well I think.

Just personally for me, I find the NLTse a refreshing read and am enjoying it very much - didn't think I would, but there you go, as I tend to lean more towards the literal translations.

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Many of the "omissions" in the NIV/TNIV and other modern Bible translations are due to the fact their New Testaments are based on Greek texts older than the texts underlying the KJVs. Many verses included in the KJVs are not found in the older manuscripts. As for errors - there are human errors in ALL Bible translations, even the KJVs.

19. queenbee

queenbee Member

Yes, that's true - there are errors in all bible translations. I guess when I was sourcing for a new bible, I had read that the NIV (older version) was particularly suspect to some omissions and gender-inclusive language. I guess I wrote it off my list at that point and concentrated on other versions. Both the HCSB and ESV didn't appeal to me as the language was still 'wooden' and I didn't want an updated NASB as I already have my older version and a myriad of KJV's and some other versions, so I landed up on the NLTse for reading/devotionals/some study (very happy with it so far) and am really keeping an eye out on the new ISV which looks very promising.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,since you enjoy the NLTse so much I don't know why you would come against the TNIV.The so-called inclusive language is employed in the New Testament NLTse about 2% more than in the TNIV.The "missing verses"in the TNIV are also"missing" in the NLTse.