1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Monday Night football moving to ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

After 35 years of being an ABC tradition. Monday night football will be moving to ESPN. I guess that way they can show any perverted beginning they want to like last years "Desperate Housewives" fiasco.

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Will they be keeping Al Michaels? Man, I hope Joe Theisman won't be doing the commentary. I'll have to watch with the sound muted. :( :(

3. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. (Sad, but true.)

I was wondering when this would come to pass.
    The aforementioned incident probably was "the straw that broke the camel's back."

Does it matter to anyone out there that Monday Night Football will no longer be available to those who do not have cable or sattelite?

Or "no big deal"? [​IMG]

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I don't know how they work it, or the proper language for it, but sometimes I've seen them air ESPN games on other stations.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It doesn't really matter to me what station the games are on, I will watch.

6. NateT

NateT Member

They air ESPN games on the air waves of the local markets for sunday night games. They will now do that for MNF.

I was dissapointed that I will not be seeing any MNF games, however, Sunday night games will now be on NBC so I'll just watch SNF instead of MNF [​IMG]

7. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that right? If that is the case, I'll just do the same thing! :D

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Nate T writes'
    I was dissapointed that I will not be seeing any MNF games, however, Sunday night games will now be on NBC so I'll just watch SNF instead of MNF
    ---------------
    NBC?...NBC?...Man. I'll have to check the channel guide for that station.

9. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Any word on who will be doing the games? Theisman, Mcquire, Turco from sunday? Think Madden and Michaels have a long term contract. Could be wrong. Being NBC....please tell me it isnt Trumpy.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I hope the ESPN Sunday night crew doesn't do the Monday night games. I stopped watching Sunday night football because of those guys. They are truly awful.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ESPN is owned by Disney which also owns ABC, so the move is not that big of a surprise. Though the ratings where good it was still a lost leader for the network.

The big deal is NBC getting back into the NFL picture. So now there will be football on CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN, the bases are pretty much covered.

I hope Pat Haden and Tom Hammond do the games they are great. You've heard them watching Arena Football or Norte Dame football. Theisman and McGuire drive me crazy!

12. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Imagine it will be Madden and Michaels; but, who knows. Personally, I would like to see some new blood, but, not some ultra-modern off-the-wall hosts. (Btw, ESPN has their quota of this type) I will continue to watch MNF, no matter who are the hosts. (can always turn off the sound and look at CC)

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Personally I like the Sunday night crew on ESPN.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

No doubt. They not only have their quota, but their cup overflows. I hardly watch ESPN at all, because there is sooo much fluff and I tire easily of announcers yelling over one another. The best football show on ESPN is the NFL Matchup show with Jaws and Hoge.

I must be getting grumpy in my old age. [​IMG]

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Hold on...i'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor after hearing about MNF moving to cable.
    I think its going to be a big bite to Disney's rear before it over. On ABC they at least had those handful of viewers who would watch MNF because they coudln't catch anything else. But, then again, i guess in the long run this will benefit those satellite owners who don't have local channel access. Either way, it's hard to imagine no MNF on ABC.

As for NBC getting pro ball back, i guess its OK. Fox has done surprisingly well with their coverage. A lot of it depends on who they hire as announcers too.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Maybe they will bring Rush Limbaugh back. :D

Just kidding. ;)

17. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I don't think this was really a factor. It was the NFL that complained, not the FCC, because the NFL is trying to keep a more family image. The NFL will want the same on ESPN.

The simple truth is the ratings have been down. And ABC can do better with other programming then MNF. Disney is just moving the program from one of its channels to another. I don't think it will make a huge dent in MNF ratings.

Is ESPN giving up Sunday Night Football or will there be compitition between NBC and ESPN?

18. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

No doubt. They not only have their quota, but their cup overflows. I hardly watch ESPN at all, because there is sooo much fluff and I tire easily of announcers yelling over one another. The best football show on ESPN is the NFL Matchup show with Jaws and Hoge.

I must be getting grumpy in my old age. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I love Jaws! He is probably their sharpest football mind IMO.