1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monergism vs. Synergism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith is part of the gift in eph2. It is part of the salvation that comes through grace.

2. moral necessity

Site Supporter

I think some agreement in this thread could possibly come by some contemplation over "primary causes" and "secondary causes". God is the primary cause of all things regarding our salvation, or else he is probably not entirely God. Man is induced to action by God, and therefore follows through with the process. God is glorified because he is the prime mover. Man is active in the process because God has made him become so.

This is basically monergism...or "synergism" in a somewhat loose sense of the word.

"Synergism" in a pure sense involves two "primary causes" that work together towards a common goal. This tends to invite the idea of man being sovereign over his part, and God being sovereign over his part. Hence, there are perhaps two sovereignties...and the door tends to become opened to the idea of two gods.

I don't think the Arminians really venture this far in their thinking. The Pelagians and Semi-Pelagians do, however. Arminius believed in primary causes and secondary causes. To him, God restored to all man the ability to choose (as secondary causes) to believe upon Christ. To Calvin, God only restored to his elect this ability. To Pelagius, man never lost this ability. To semi-Pelagians, men only lost the strength.

Both Arminius and Calvin believed in total depravity. The main difference was in who was restored...and perhaps when. See Roger Olson's work, Arminian Theology, found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830828419/?tag=baptis04-20

Blessings and fellowship...

#82 moral necessity, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that is the standard line of reformed folks but you will not find any other passage to back that interpretation up.

#83 Revmitchell, Dec 18, 2012
  4. Herald

Herald New Member

Of course faith isn't a work; and I'm not suggesting a Synergist is saved other than by faith. What I'm saying is that synergistic theology explains faith as though it is a work. Please follow my explanation. I'm not asking you to agree with it, just to understand it. I think you and I agree that God makes the sinful heart capable of believing. I believe scripture teaches that the Holy Spirit does that through regeneration. The whole process of salvation - the ordo salutis - is so quick that it is nearly simultaneous. The time lapse between the component parts would be imperceptible to us. The first thing that happens in the ordo salutis is regeneration (Ezk. 36:26 and alluded to in Acts 9:17; Eph. 2:4, 5). Once the Holy Spirit regenerates the sinner, the sinner is then able to believe or exercise faith. You had some fun with my use of the word "exercise" but you know what the word means. It's simply a more technical way of saying "use". So, it would be appropriate to say that man must do something in the ordo salutis - he must believe. But the ability to do so is given by the Holy Spirit through regeneration. Once the sinner is regenerated his will is now released from bondage. He is no longer a slave to sin (Rom. 6). Having been freed from sin there is an irresistible drawing to God. It is the natural reaction of a spiritually freed man. It is the like the blind man who was able to see for the first time.

When he was able to see, not only with his eyes, but then with his heart, he believed. There was no possibility that this man would have chosen otherwise.

And the sinner does not possess faith in his fallen state. That faith is given by God at the appropriate time and purpose. The time? At regeneration. The purpose? To be born from above.

Skan, I would rather us disagree on this point, because it is the substance of the debate. The Synergist views man as in control of his spiritual destiny. God brings to a certain point but that's it. He'll bring the sinner to the lake but won't make him drink. The Bible teaches that God frees the sinner's will to see the lake in all its splendor, and then he desires nothing more than to drink, and drink freely (John 4:10).

#84 Herald, Dec 18, 2012
  5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Skandelon you have failed to respond to a question I posed about your response to an earlier post by me. I assume this was an oversight but I am curious!

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I answered that question in post 36...

7. Skandelon

I know that is what you are saying and I'm telling you that is INCORRECT, because we don't believe faith merits salvation, any more so than you do. Whether faith flows effectually from regeneration or is a free response to God's gracious appeal it is still something MAN is responsible for and is a necessity for salvation, but it doesn't MERIT salvation in either case. It is not a WORK because it is not EARNING or DESERVING of salvation. UNDERSTAND?

Let me try it this way. The bible says that God gives grace to the humble, right? Now, does that mean that humble people deserve to be giving grace? NOOOOO! If it did then it wouldn't be grace, it would be a merit or wage. Whether humility is a quality of man imposed by God or freely chosen by man matters not as to this fact.

One more illustration: Suppose my 5 year old, who has about 35 cents to his name, is wanting to buy my old ipod. Can he afford it? No. He can't give me anything that would be WORTH receiving my ipod. Well, days go by and one evening after dinner suppose that there was only one cookie left and it was his, but his little sister dropped her cookie and the dog ate it, and she was crying. He chooses to give her his cookie and I see him do it. In response, I decide give him my ipod. Did that cookie deserve an ipod? Did even that act of sharing earn or merit or deserve something like that? No. It was a gift in response to his humble gesture. As a 5 year old he couldn't have every really done enough work to merit that price (because 5 years old work isn't valuable enough as it causes more messes than it helps).

Now, all analogies fall short, and this one certainly doesn't cover all the issues involved, but what it does show is that no one would ever say that the boy worked to merit that gift. If he had looked at me before giving up the cookie and said, "Dad, if give up my cookie will you give me your ipod?" I would have said "NO DEAL," because it had nothing to do with that. It was a gift of love in response to what I deemed as a choice of self sacrifice. See the difference?

The Jews were trying to earn God's favor and 'make a deal' for their eternal life. That is works salvation. They are attempting to earn something they couldn't possibly earn. If they gave up trying and rested in Him they would have received what they were working so hard to merit. But had they said, "Hey, God, if I give up trying and humble myself, then will you give me eternal life?" It would have been the same problem. They would have tried to manufactured some false humility made a profession so as to once again attempt to earn it. Either way, that is works salvation, but that is NOT what we believe in. Okay?

#87 Skandelon, Dec 18, 2012
  8. Skandelon

So, once he is freed by regeneration then he will desire to believe, right? So, he will freely of his own will choose to believe because he will want to believe. How is that not a "work" according to your definition earlier? Even if he is doing it as a result of regeneration, he is still doing it and it is still a necessity for his salvation. He is still saved by grace through a work. It may be a work effectually produced by regeneration, but its still a work according to your definition. What you definition lacked was the aspect of 'earning/deserving or meriting." Neither of us believe that any amount of faith merits or deserves salvation, or at least we shouldn't.
    Can't help but wonder why the inward work of regeneration wasn't sufficient to bring Thomas to faith?

That is a misrepresentation. That would be like believing the Prodigal Son was in control over whether or not his Father would receive him when he returned home. He was completely at the mercy of the Father, just as we are. He owes us nothing and we control nothing that he hasn't granted us control over.

9. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Excellent answers.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how can sinners whose very nature is at war against God, whose desire is to remain in darkness, come to jesus and get saved apart from the lord granting them new herats/minds/ears able to receive and believe thetruth of Him though?

11. Herald

Herald New Member

I am going to quote from the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith, and a well known Reformed author, in order provide a more eloquent explanation of what I have been trying to say.

I do not believe that God imputes faith as Roman Catholicism teaches. Rather, in agreement with the framers of the confession, saving faith is a gift from God. If saving faith is a gift from God, how it is appropriated? How is the gift received? Well, you certainly cannot receive faith by faith. It must come by another means. That means is regeneration. Regeneration is a unilateral act of God that is not dependent on man.

In his 2007 work, "The New Birth", R.C. Sproul writes:

continued...

12. Herald

Herald New Member

continued from my previous post...

It all comes down to the Synergist believing that regeneration follows faith, not precedes it. The Monergist believes scripture teaches that regeneration precedes faith. Faith then becomes a natural work of regeneration; or regeneration matured, if you will. It is something man does, but he has been gifted by God to do it through regeneration. Try as you might to accuse the Monergistic view of turning faith into a work, it is Synergism who does that by making faith precede the work of the Spirit.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, how do spiritual dead people summon up faith to receive jesus, as theur sin natures rebekl againstsuch a thing, as we want to save ourselves by our own works and efforts? See EVERY other religion not Christianity!

14. Skandelon

Your responses and representations of Calvinism were quite adequate and I don't see anything listed here that would change anything I have said in response to you already.

Could it be that you opted to copy and paste confessional statements because you didn't want to answer the arguments I already posed against your stated views?

15. Herald

Herald New Member

Could it be that you just weren't getting it and I thought it necessary to provide another perspective? Yes. That's it.

16. Herald

Herald New Member

.....Ditto.

17. Skandelon

Awww, the ol' "you must not agree with me because you don't really understand me" argument. I'm calling you out on that one.

Please specifically lay out what I said that was misrepresentative of your views? Could it not be that I understood you, but disagreed?

Or maybe you will admit that when "WORKS" is define properly (involving merit), that you'd have to admit that neither of us hold to a works based salvation?

18. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well... The Guy who saved me said the same thing...

Your buds asked Him this one time. They didn't believe His answer, so I don't expect you to either.

Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

#98 SovereignMercy, Dec 18, 2012
  19. Skandelon

Then if fits in your definition. You need to change you definition a little for this not be be a work as well.

and according to your definition that would be man in cooperation with God following being regenerated. You need a different soteriology or a different definition of works.

I don't believe EITHER of our views makes faith into a work. I think you definition of works (where you exclude the concept of merit) is false, thus causing this false label.

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Salvation in scripture is .....NEVER....not once to be said to be.....Because of FAITH......it is always by, or through faith.

Man does not have inherent saving faith.Faith as an instrumentality is given along with repentance at regeneration as a gift from God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.