1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monergism vs. Synergism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, which made it impossible for them to receive the 'deep things of the Spirit' (the meat) which Paul was referring to just a few verses before. Thanks for helping to debuke one of Calvinism's favorite proof texts. :thumbsup:

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He does not say it is impossible.....you do not understand either chapter,

this false division of milk and meat.....would make Van proud, but to those who understand the passage it just shows you have missed it altogether,

after rebuking them, Paul speaks of more important matters

3. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I like Adam Clarke on Eph 2:8:

Good, classic stuff, and the same arguments used from earliest Christianity, period.

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I believe that is all of God. Monergism

If the Son of God had not been born of a woman all of mankind upon dying would have ceased to be. Dying all would have died. Gen 2:17

Any life we might receive will be from Spirit the God and will come to us through his only begotten Son, Jesus of Nazareth. And that life will begin in us by us having received the promise of the Holy Spirit from God the Father through Jesus his Son. ----- Now. Gal. 3:14 says, " That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through the faith."

Does that verse not mean that the promise of the Spirit that is received through the faith, is the mode by which the blessing of Abraham is received through Jesus Christ? If the answer is yes then the faith by which the promise of the Spirit is received must be the faith of Christ and not anything pertaining to us. ----- Further, Jesus told the disciples on the night he was betrayed, " Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." John 16:7

In other words; If I do not go away you will not receive the promise of the Spirit, the Comforter. The going away (death) of Jesus was the faith of Christ. He became obedient unto death even the death of the cross. Obedience of faith. A phrase found twice in the bible and it was because of the obedience of faith Paul was called and the gospel was preached to the nations.

Eternal salvation became a reality when the grace which brought it first appeared. Compare Titus 2:11 with Heprews 5:9 It appeared the day God the Fathger said, "Thou art my Son this day have I begotten thee." The day Jesus was raised from the dead.

Salvation is available because of: By Grace of God the Father through the faith of Jesus Christ his Son.

Then we being put, "in Christ," by the promise of the Spirit makes us children of God by faith, in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:26

If you examine the verses before this verse beginning at 22-25 you will see
    all were concluded under sin being under the law the schoolmaster until the faith came. After the faith came those called of God are translated from being under the law to being under grace. Compare also with Rom. 6 The promise of the Spirit has given you the blessing of Abraham that is imputed with the righteousness of God also; Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. Rom 4:7,8

All of you can correct me where I am wrong or misunderstand.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

If only this represented the true nature and manner in which some disagree with one another here in BB land.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

He was one of them really "old geezers" wasn't he?

7. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Hey Oldie,

I think the Bingo buddies down at the Moose Lodge are calling, so try not to let them down, ok?

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't Salvation come to us through Jesus the Christ?

Are we currently only heirs of salvation? Those who are to inherit salvation when the time for inheritance comes.

Heb 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs (inheritors) of salvation?
    Col 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
    1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.
    Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author (First cause) of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Jesus has inherited and we are, "in him," heirs to inherit eternal salvation, eternal life by resurrection/instant change at the appearing of Jesus our life, see Col 3:4 When Christ, [who is] our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. The same glory we are joint heirs with him of in Romans 8:17 The same glory God the Father gave him in 1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith (his death) and hope (grace, his life) might be in God.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could we look at Mr Clarks thoughts in this context?

Paul departed that morning for Damascus with the power to believe yet he was an unbeliever. We know this for later on he is a believer. What is the power to believe?

John 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

Is it possible for these Jesus spoke this, to believe? Do they have the, "power," to believe? Was Paul though an unbeliver, of the sheep of Jesus?
    If he is, of his sheep, yet an unbeliever; When will he believe?

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: They hear the voice of Jesus and they follow him.

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? Acts 9:5 And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

By what faith did Paul go from being an unbeliever to a believer? Did something well up from deep inside Paul and Paul of himself became a believer? Or did Jesus call one of his sheep unto belief?

Acts 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The New Birth!

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

12. Herald

Herald New Member

You are incorrect. The natural man cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God, not just the things Paul is addressing. In v. 12 Paul writes, "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God," (underlining mine). What are the things freely given to us by God? Are they the things of earlier in chapter 2? Yes. Are they only the things earlier in chapter 2? No. The Spirit gives us understanding of all the things of God; or more accurately all the things that God desires for us to know. Therefore it is not limited just to those verses preceding verse 14.

Nuance, Skan. Not just the things Paul is addressing, but, "the things freely give to us by God." Also, "But he who is spiritual appraises all things" (v. 15) not just the things of 1 Cor. 2.

You are incorrect again. Paul never says that the Corinthian believers cannot receive the things he is addressing. They may be hampered in their understanding due to worldly living (3:1-3), but they are able to understand (receive). If not, why Paul's letter to the "church of God which is at Corinth"; why Paul's letter to those he calls "saints" (1:2)?

Paul makes a categorical distinction in 1 Cor. 2. He compares the worldly saints at Corinth with the natural, unsaved person (v. 14). He does this to let them know that they do know. They know better than to live carnally. The sinner knows only one way. The saint knows both ways and is to choose the right way.

#152 Herald, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  13. Herald

Herald New Member

I am accurately representing what your theology teaches, and it's logical conclusion.

My discussion is with you on this issue. With all due respect to WITBOTL, I am able to formulate my own position.

You're espousing foolishness. I am not protesting as to why you believe error. Believe what you want. You're willing to enter into debate about the topic, and I am more than willing to entertain such debate. I'll point out when you're wrong, but you're free to believe it.

How much time do you have? I've said this to you before; neither of us is going back to previous posts to cut and past all the "misrepresentations" we claim the other is guilty of. The best way to expose the other's error is to deal with the text. This is why I asked you whether you are willing to explain your understanding of the passages in Romans, 1 Corinthians, Ephesians, and Colossians. Instead of debating each other philosophically, dealing with the text focuses our attention on what God has to say.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

double post

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Herald, it is verse 12 that actually refutes your view.

1 Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

At first glance, this verse does seem to support Total Inability that the natural man is unable to understand and thus believe the gospel.

The problem is, there is MUCH scripture that easily refutes this view.

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Paul's question demands the answer that these Galatians received the Holy Spirit by first believing the gospel. This refutes the view of Calvinism.

Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Paul's question here clearly shows he believed a person received the Holy Spirit after first believing on Jesus. This refutes the view of Calvinism.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Paul plainly and directly tells us here that these Ephesians received and were sealed by the Holy Spirit AFTER first believing the gospel. This refutes the view of Calvinism.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter plainly and directly tells these Jews they must repent and believe on Jesus (for only believers are allowed to be baptized) and that AFTERWARD they would receive the Holy Spirit.

Calvinism pulls 1 Cor 2:14 out of context and falsely claims it teaches the natural man cannot believe the gospel, and ignores MANY scriptures that plainly and directly show us the natural man can believe the gospel, and that if he does he will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. All of these scriptures easily refute the false view (and teaching) of Calvinism.

#155 Winman, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highlighted that concerning Gal. 3:2

1st I am not a Calvinist, 2nd Paul does not say that in your explanation.

To paraphrase, Paul says you did not receive the Spirit by the works of the law but you received the Spirit by the hearing of faith.

G3:22 Paul states, scripture concludes all under sin. How? Romans 3:20 states, Therefore by the deeds (works) of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.

So all have been put under the law. Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. (G3:22 all be concluded under sin.)

G3:24 calls the law our schoolmaster and verse 23 states we were under the law our schoolmaster And this was before the faith they heard of came.

G3:25 states after the faith, that faith they heard of by which they received the Spirit, did come, they were removed from being under the schoolmaster. They were no longer under the law.

What was the faith that came, which removed them from being under the law to be under something else? What event, a noun, took allowing The Spirit to be received? See romans 6 to understand the death of Jesus Christ removed them from being under sin, the law and put them under grace, that is his resurrected life.

Jesus said. John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

If there is no obedience of faith, if Jesus isn't obedient unto death even the death of the cross, the Spirit, the Comforter will not come.

Faith: But is I depart, am obedient unto death, I will send him unto you.

If I am obedient unto faith, (the death of the cross,) the Father will raise me from the dead and give me the promise of the Holy Spirit, and I will send him unto you.

Acts 2:32,33 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
    Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.