1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monergists who are not Calvinists II

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other thread is over 130 posts, so it will be probably be locked soon. Perhaps you can pick up the discussion here. The thread moved very quickly this afternoon and it has been difficult to catch up on all the posts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC , in the previous thread you said, "Calvinistic salvation itself is centered on the Father while Arminians center salvation on Christ." What do you mean by that?

The Father is the One who gives the Elect to the Son, as revealed in John 6:37. "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out." However, salvation is centered on Christ. The 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith states:

10.1 Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.
    ( Romans 8:30; Romans 11:7; Ephesians 1:10, 11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:1-6; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 1:17, 18; Ezekiel 36:26; Deuteronomy 30:6; Ezekiel 36:27; Ephesians 1:19; Psalm 110:3; Song of Solomon 1:4 )

So, help me understand your statement. Thank you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is Calvinism centers election on the will of the Father while Arminianism centers election on Christ.

Calvinism views election as unconditional. Arminianism views election as conditioned on Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotcha. I agree. Election is based on the will of the Father. That is what I believe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the first thread JonC said this;

1]
    2]
    3]
    4]

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your mistake is that you are confusing statements about my held belief with a discussion regarding two types of election. Your assumptions are wrong.

Rather than going through people's posts to develop a narrative of what you want them to believe (in Adam Schiff fashion) it is probably better to just ask.

If you believe I have misunderstood an issue in Calvinism then plainly state your view and ask what I believe.

You have often said I was not a Calvinist but you have never been able to show even one place where I misunderstood Calvinism. You do this to people and it is wrong.

People often get defensive when others try to create a belief for them.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your previous posts are not available to me when I go to look at your post it says you can't view them number one number two I have asked you several questions that I don't get an answer on and to be honest you're free to believe whatever you want to believe or disbelieve but I'm reading your post and I'm not seeing anything that convinces me of your claim. Now I have asked you do you have any sermons do you have any sermons online anywhere like David Taylor just recently posted a group of sermon so he's just take a listen let me know what you think give me feedback. Do you have any such a mechanism where we can view your preaching and teaching because we've not seen it on Baptist board and if you did post anything you can't go back and find it because you don't let anyone see what you posted

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just point out where you believe I misunderstand Calvinism and ask me to clarify.

You do not need past posts (real or imagined) to "prove" I misunderstand. I am right here - ask me.

You make a lot of claims about people and go about it as if you were some politician trying to trap people in their words. Stop trying to tell people what they believe and just ask.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I quoted your post directly here on this thread Past post show what you believe over time. Why hide them. What do you mean by real or imagined post every post I've spoken of a few was was there whether it's still there or not would you are editing deleting and history is very suspect

10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, just ask him. We are all reading and participating in this thread. We are all witnesses. Ask Jon a direct question and let us see if he gives a direct answer. I know there is a past here but there is nothing we can do about it. Just ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you cannot point to any specific Calvinistic doctrine that I do not understand but instead make accusations based on an overall feeling you developed based on past arguments. That does not work. I often argue one way (sometimes against my own view) in looking at arguments themselves.

Let's make it easy. Name one Calvinistic doctrine that I rejected out of a misunderstanding.

I do not know what doctrine you are speaking of but am open to the idea I could have not understood adequately. We are only human, after all.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC , let me get the ball rolling. How do you define definite atonement and do you hold to it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I define definite atonement as the idea that Christ died to save the Church. God intended that Christ’s death would actually save people – the elect.

Supporting passages include John 10:11: The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep”; John 11:52 that Jesus died “to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad”; and Ephesians 5:25: “Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her”.

I do believe that Christ died to save the Church and that those who are saved are predestined to be saved (those who are lost are predestined to be lost). But I think it would be incorrect to say that I believe Definite atonement on Calvinistic grounds (as I did in the past). The reason is that definite atonement is a logical conclusion of Penal Substitution Theory (the Theory makes definite atonement necessary). Jesus substituted himself as the penalty for our sins necessitates a definite group for which Christ died (not just a potential group of individuals). Without accepting the Calvinistic understanding of the reasons behind redemptive history and how salvation was accomplished I think my current view departs from Calvinism (on the surface we would agree, but just below the surface it would be found we agreed only in the conclusion and not the process).

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello reformed
    what he believes or doesn't believe is not my concern at this point in time
    I was addressing the statements that he made about his past , George also
    I'm not going to waste time with someone who claims what he post might not be what he believes anyway so I don't do make-believe or hypothetical posts or let me say this but then if you answer me while I didn't really believe that I was just arguing the position he is free to believe whatever he wants to believe or disbelieve whatever he wants to not believe
    I am using voice to text right now so some of my grammar and the autocorrect the changing my post

#14 Iconoclast, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I believe or do not believe determines whether your claim that I do not understand Calvinism is accurate or is a false assertion.

The fact you make claims about my understanding while stating you are not concerned with what I actually believe is troubling. What I post as my beliefs are accurate. When I ask people about their views you are wrong to imply something about my view. I will tell you what I believe. Just be grown up enough to ask.

This is your opportunity to show the board you have a legitimate concern - let's talk about how you believe I misunderstood Calvinism. What doctrines do I not grasp?

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Well, there is not much I can say to that. I understand how you feel and I know you feel strongly about it. If you are not going to engage with @JonC then all I can say is do not engage. Maybe it is for the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I am not sure how the process is relevant if the conclusion is the same. McKim defines definite atonement as, "A theological concept...[snip] which maintains that Christ died only for the elect, who are the only recipients of salvation." It definitely is part of Calvinist teaching but it also is part of Monergistic teaching apart from Calvinism.

I will be honest, I have a very difficult time understanding you accepting of Christ dying only for the elect but arriving at it from a different direction apart from Calvinism. After reading volumes of your posts I do not understand what it is you believe in regards to the Atonement. This goes back two years ago when we participated in a number of atonement-related threads. It must be me being dense.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason it is different is that I no longer view Christ's death as a payment for the sin debt of the elect but instead view Christ as dying both for the human family and also for the elect corporately (the Church). When I was a Calvinist I viewed Christ as literally dying for individual elect persons to effect salvation by paying their "sin debt".

So while we both believe Christ died to save the Church we consider that death to have accomplished this goal in very different ways. The conclusion is that those who believe are saved. We all agree on this. You and I agree that Christ died to save the Church (with the Church in mind). But we believe this death itself to have accomplished very different things.

The question is really not where my current position stands but if accurately understood Calvinism. How do you evaluate my definition of definite atonement? I know it is a short definition and I could have expounded, but do you believe my understanding of definite atonement incorrect?

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

I did give just a few indications so far in post 5;
    Notice Reformed, Here we have two posters who tell us they are
    "Ex -Calvinists". Both take seven cracks at it, and I see 7 misses.
    Any biblical Calvinist upon reflection of the comments will see several things;
    1] Neither person seems to have any indication of the true biblical Doctrine of Election.

2] neither gives any indication of the Covenant nature of election.

3] neither indicates an understanding of the relationship of Our Great High Priest and His work

4] neither shows any knowledge of Jesus as surety.

5]neither indicates a proper understanding of saving Union with Christ.

There have been three persons that I know of on BB who claimed to have been "a Calvinist".
    Despite the claims, I see no evidence of it. The credibility is missing just as an indication of these basic elements has not been seen anywhere....I have never seen one post from any of the three that gave an indication of it.
    Anyone can claim anything, it is a free country. They might have even looked at these things to some extent. Not everyone who looks at something..." gets it".
    I see no evidence of a basic correct understanding of Calvinism,
    the core teachings as outlined by
    John Murray, in Redemption,Accomplished and Applied.
    Or Sinclair Fergusons know your Christian life.

No one says they have to be Calvinists, but they suggest this is so....their posts do not support the claim.
    I saw Mickey mantle Hit two home runs in my first live game at the stadium. One left-handed over the old black wall beyond the 461 sign, then right-handed a check-swing into the right-field bleachers.
    I can tell what pitchers I saw and what team was the opponent.
    Now if I make the claim that I played in the game, and you did not see my name in the box score, you would have every right to question my claim.
    It is like that.

Not accusations, but rather observations. You have posted that you were a Calvinist while on here at BB.
    I would quote it for you but when I go look for it here is what I see;

Baptist Christian Forums - Error

This member limits who may view their full profile.

Now I hate to burst your bubble but I do not find your posts that compelling or edifying to follow what you post in general. It says you joined BB in 2001. I do not recall any non cals tangling with your posts over the issue. In fact when asked you refused to produce anything to substantiate your claims.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have no problem to engage as you have seen, Reformed.
    My comments were strictly based on past postings.
    Why ask questions that can be googled, or are written so vague, that when questioned the person says...Oh that is not what I meant. In the current posts, I see double-speak, tricky wording, and elusive replies that upon cross-examination will not stand. So i ask myself why I should engage in that.I have found that when someone is trying to portray something in a less than clear way, it is because they actually do not know what they are talking about.