1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Monergists who are not Calvinists

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This opening post is addressed specifically to Mongergists, i.e. those who agree with the Reformed view of predestination and election but all are invited to participate.

There are some Monergists who do not want to be called or to identify with the term "Calvinist." All of them have their individual reasons but the first most common answer they provide when asked why they do not like the term is that they disagree with much of John Calvin's theology besides predestination and election. The second most popular answer I have received is that they do not like the negativity the received from non-Calvinists. So, let me explain why I have no issue with the term. I would then like to hear from other Monergists as to why they like or do not like the term.

For me, Calvinism means one thing and one thing only, the Reformed view of predestination and election. John Calvin's name has become ubiquitous with the Reformed view of soteriology. Even Charles Spurgeon embraced the moniker while at the same time rejecting other aspects of Calvin's theology. "Monergism" comes into play because it is the theological framework in which Reformed soteriology ("Calvinism") is constructed. Since Calvinism means nothing more to me than just a name for Reformed soteriology, that is all I am concerned about.

So, what about my fellow Monergists? What do you think of "Calvinism"?

@JonC , I would like your thoughts on this OP since you claim to have been a Calvinist but are no longer one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1] labels are helpful, sometimes require a slight clarification.

2] If you deny the label those who oppose attack anyhow.

3] normally when someone identifies as a Calvinist, they are a confessional person and have generally a better balanced biblical knowledge than those who rail against it.

4] when someone offers that label there is a reasonable expectation that you are going to be 85% on the same page.

5] people who study the position can size up others as to if they have a mature understanding, or are novices, or are pretenders.

6] this provides a basis to attempt to help them grow in grace.

7] other Cals have moved forward into apologetic and evangelistic efforts and can feed off each other without opposition.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The precise name for this is Gomarism:

The Gospel Coalition:

"In 1603, Arminius was appointed professor of theology at the University of Leiden, where he was strongly opposed by his colleague, Francis Gomarus. Both Arminius and Gomarus....thought of themselves as Reformed, as Calvinists....Following Arminius’ death in 1609....the Arminian party issued a document called the Remonstrance, setting forth the “Five Articles of the Arminians.” Gomarus and others formed a Contra-Remonstrance party (Gomarists) to oppose the Arminians"

"Oldenbarneveldt, Advocate-General of Holland...wanted toleration for the Arminians. The Contra-Remonstrance from Gomarists was submitted to the States of Holland in 1611. Oldenbarneveldt and the States of Holland decided on toleration....Prince Maurice, the son and heir of William of Orange, eventually took the side of the Gomarists....Maurice had Olderbarneveldt and others imprisoned... the Estates-General called for an assembly [the Synod of Dort]"

see also:

Dictionary of Religion

"Gomarists or Anti-Remonstrants. —The opponents of the Arminians. They take their name from their leader, Francis Gomar, who was born at Bruges in 1563. He commenced his studies at Strasburg and Heidelberg, and in 1582 came to England, and went first to Oxford and then to Cambridge, where he took his B. D. in 1581. In 1594 he was elected Professor of Divinity at Leyden, and he is chiefly known for his violent opposition to the doctrines of his colleague Arminius. He was present at the Synod of Dort, in 1618, and was the main instrument in getting the Arminians expelled from the Reformed Church....He was a man of great learning, and very bigoted in his views"

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Reformed,

For a long time I was a Calvinist. Many of the reasons I became convinced Calvinism was accurate are views I still hold.

The reason I am not a Calvinist is that I have come to reject some of its presuppositions.

On the surface we hold similar views. But beneath the superficial (the conclusions) we hold these similar views very differently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you elucidate in brief?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism assumes specific ideas about sin and how man is reconciled to God.

For example, in Calvinism the Atonement has to be limited otherwise universal salvation is the logical conclusion because of how it presupposes men are reconciled to God (payment of a sin debt in the stead of the elect). I believe the Atonement limited because Christ lay down His life for the sheep (to save those who believe) while rejecting the idea that Christ paid our "sin debt" instead of us thereby effecting our salvation.

Same book cover but very different narratives.

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. You reject penal substitution. OK. We disagree (see how quick that was since our kumbaya moment in the other thread?) but thank you for your explanation. You are now free to roam around the cabin.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur with the OP. I don’t shy away from the term Calvinist. Particular Baptist sounds better to ky ear, but whatever.

Gomarist sounds horrible. Sounds too much like GOMOR.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to step back from the claim that I reject penal substitution (in the past I said that I affirm penal substitution in general but reject the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement).

I am a member of a SBC church and have been all of my adult life. The SBC defines Penal Substitution Theory as Christ's blood shed for us in opposition to the "anti-violence" model of the cross. I believe this to be true. On this board Penal Substitution Theory has been presented as the belief Christ bore our sins, died for our sins, is the Propitiation for our sins, through Him we escape the wrath to come, God was pleased to "crush" Him, and by His stripes we are healed. I believe all of that. On this board it was presented that the teachings of the Early Church Fathers (Justin Martyr was one) who held that Christ died for the human family was an expression of Penal Substitution Theory. I agree with what has been argued of the ECF's view of the Atonement in affirming Penal Substitution Theory. N.T. Wright has affirmed Penal Substitution Theory while holding a view similar to mine in terms of the meaning of the cross. The Gospel Coalition (TGC) is Calvinistic and defends Wright's explanation of Penal Substitution Theory.

Given that labels can only be useful within the context of how they are accepted, I suppose it is not correct to say I reject Penal Substitution or Penal Substitution Theory. In fact, Penal Substitution Theory is, here anyway, a fairly empty term. It simply states the universal Christian truth that Christ died for our sins and we are saved from the wrath to come. As far as I know, to reject this is to reject Christianity itself.

So, to correct my previous claim - I am not rejecting Penal Substitution Theory (as defined on the Baptist Board by several members to include Calvinists).

What I reject is the presupposition that divine justice is in accordance with 15th century humanistic philosophy of justice (Renaissance humanism,not secular humanism). There are things that follow my rejection of the judicial philosophy in terms of logical conclusions, but this is what separates my view from Calvinism.

I apologize if my previous statements clouded where I stand and hope this provided clarity.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not watch all of the video because I have good understanding of what Primitive Baptists believe. So, I understand why you do not identify as a Calvinist.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for
    I did watch it because I do not have a good understand of what Primitive Baptists believe. Thanks for posting it, @kyredneck .

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sound like a STD, or something that leads to one. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he has real issues with the Calvinist viewpoint in regards to atonement of Christ, IE, as in the classic Calvinist view as being a substitionary death on behalf of sinners, as One taking the wrath of God due to us!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see it in the same light as you would,as Calvinist to me refers to one hold to Calvinistic view of salvation proper, while those holding also to Covenant theology and Confession of faith are Reformed!

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Yeshua1 ,

Out of respect for members please do not talk about me or any other member (that could be considered gossip). I am here. You can reply to my post or use "@" and the username of the person you are addressing (or mentioning/ talking about).

You are right that I have an issue with the Calvinistic presupposition that supposes one judicial philosophy to govern how divine justice is viewed. But my "issue" is that I have yet to see a defense for the use of that philosophy while it forms a basis for Reformed thought in terms of the Atonement. The "issue" I have is I believe it is a very important doctrine upon which other doctrines are built (as evidenced by TULIP and the debate over the scope of the atonement, none of which can exist apart from this judicial philosophy).

But to clarify, I do not have any issues with the Calvinist viewpoint in regards to the atonement, or any other viewpoint for that matter (to include Denny Weaver's position, which I believe equally wrong). People will believe what they will believe. My move from Calvinism to my current position has not changed me or my understanding of the gospel itself. It has changed how I view topics associated with the gospel. But I try to respect other people's view because I was once one of you and held your position. A few years ago I would have argued very strongly against my current position.

I hope that helps clarify exactly where I stand and I also hope that this will help you realize the inappropriateness of talking about members rather than engaging them and their beliefs.

I rejected the classic Calvinism viewpoint (that Jesus suffered in Hell for three days as explained in the Institutions) even when I was a Calvinist. But I also rejected the classic Calvinistic justification for infant baptism as well so I think there was room for disagreement with the classic Calvinistic position.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC 's explanation about his view on Calvinism is why I prefer the terms Monergism and Monergist. That does not mean I have a problem with Calvinism when it comes soteriology. Unfortunately, getting Calvinists to refer to themselves as Monergists is probably unrealistic.

To be sure, our soteriology does impact other areas of theology. Exceptions aside, the vast majority of Calvinists believe in Covenant Theology, Amillennialism or Postmillennialism, penal substitution, the Regulative Principle of Worship, and covenantalism et al. Why is that? Because monergistic soteriology is found mostly within the greater whole of Reformed theology. Again, there are exceptions. I know plenty of dispensational Calvinists but they are a minority within the Reformed community.

In the end, what we believe is more important than the labels we identify with, although labels have merit. I appreciate when Christians explain their beliefs because it leads to substance and understanding. We will still have substantial disagreements but they will less steeped in conjecture and ignorance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not mean to say anything bad about you, sorry if that was what you thought I was implying, as was just answering what seemed to me to be your primary objection to traditional Calvinism theology.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I tend to see itas being reformed are Calvinists, while Reformed are Calvinists and hold to all of that other stuff you mentioned here, such as CT and RPW...

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't say anything bad and I wasn't offended. It is just a pet irritant. To me when one is spoken about without an indicator it approaches gossip (just a personal thing with me).

You are right about me rejecting Calvinism. I was a Calvinist for a long time, but one issue (one fundamental issue) moved me from that position. Either way, I enjoy studying theology and different positions. I always liked Calvinism for its simplicity (it is probably the easiest to understand). I like Reformation Arminianism because it is interesting how it deals with causality (and what is a necessity). I like my view (Christus Victor) because it is more a theme than a formula or theory. I think that we can learn of and from one another without having to compromise our views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.