1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Monkey God and Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Marcia, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm posting this here as I think it's more suited for this thread. Could a mod close the thread on this topic in the News & Current Events forum? Thanks.

Several weeks ago, I was telling someone how part of the consequences of being in the New Age for so long is that certain things will come into my head from that time period. At one point, the word "Hanuman" just popped into my head and repeated over and over, like a song. This happens from time to time. Hanuman is the name of a popular monkey god in India. I try to use such times to reflect on my past and how gracious God is to have delivered me from it and given me eternal life through Christ.

The reason this is kind of strange is that I read in today's Wash Post that Obama carries around a "tiny figurine" of Hanuman! This is an odd thing for an avowed Christian to do. Why carry it around? I think some people in India may think it's good luck or protection, but a Christian has no business believing in luck, much less carrying around the figure of a Hindu god!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111201655.html

Still, many Indians said they were not worried about the no-call incident. It was Indian astrologers who first predicted victory for Obama, they said, and Obama boosted his popularity among Indians when he mentioned the Gandhi poster hanging in his office and the tiny figurine of Hanuman, the Indian monkey god, that he carries. ____End excerpt
    (emphasis added)

I am curious as to what the Obama supporters think of this. Why would Obama carry this around?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The things I learn on the BB!! Wow!!

3. targus

targus New Member

It doesn't surprise me that Christians that voted for Obama, full well knowing his rabid, obsessive, kill'em all attitude towards the unborn, would be unphased by his little monkey idol.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a Time Magazine picture of Obama displaying his amulets, idols, and fetishes.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jerome, thanks much for posting this link! I had not seen that.

It seems McCain and other candidates also carried "lucky" objects. While doing this kind of thing is common, it certainly does not make sense for anyone who claims to be a Chrisitan. I am baffled by it.

And Obama has a whole bunch of "lucky" objects, but having one that is a Hindu god is really disturbing.

I notice no Obama supporters commenting yet (that I know of). Why aren't they posting a "so what?" or something like that?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was afraid to open this thread, as I thought it was racially centered. After reading what it really is about, I would have rather it been. So much for "christian" Obama.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain has a penny and a sweater ; Hillary, a hanky and a bracelet with a cross.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Gee whiz, that is an amazing trick you can do there, look into the human soul and know if it has been regenerated or not. Could you teach me that one?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure, read your Bible. You believe in luck? You believe someone claiming to be a christian should carry around false gods?

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have a penny, a sweater, a bracelet maybe on with a on it cross, and a hanky. These are commone items for anyone to have, they are not 'gods', Obama has a 'god' in his pocket.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christians do not carry hindu 'gods' in their pockets.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

He sure carries around a lot of "lucky charms"! Who will be his new spiritual adviser in Washington? Will he bring back Wright now that his campaign can't be hurt by him any longer? Or will he find a "rich white man" in Washington to guide him?

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

True, but these were given as lucky objects or the candidates are using them as such. I agree with you, however, that a Hindu monkey god is much worse.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not believe in luck. Neither do I know if Obama considers this a god or if in fact he is carrying this around. What is your source? A liberal news outlet or some other slanted news outlet?

The bottom line is that all you can do is look for evidence of salvation within another. You do not know for sure.

Aren't you one of the ones that kept raking people voting for conservative third party candidates over the coals during the election, while proclaiming McCain was a conservative?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you failed to read this thread? Did you not see the link with the picture of him holding it? Should ANY christian believe in luck?
    http://www.time.com/time/politics/whitehouse/photos/0,27424,1811278,00.html
    From his numerous interviews, voting record, views on gays and abortion, and having read his "faith" section on his own website...can you show me any evidence whatsoever of his claim to be a christian?
    I don't ever recall calling McCain a conservative in my lifetime. I did state a third party vote in a two party society is a waste, though, and still maintain that view.

#15 webdog, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have never put much confidence in Obama's faith in Christ. In my lifetime I don't remember a single president who lived his life like a sold out born again believer.

A lost person carrying a good luck charm is not a big issue for me. Their eyes are blinded.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will agree with your middle statement. From my perspective, I do not believe he is a true Christian either. All I am saying is that I cannot say for sure. That is between Obama and God.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Your logic never ceases to amaze me. :laugh:

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

So I guess is a Christian happens to have, say a rabbits foot, it means they are not a Christian? They could not just be an ignorant Christian, they must be lost?

I think this whole thread is much ado about nothing. The funny thing is that we probably have at least four years of this nonsense.

Why not concentrate on things that matter, such as abortion issues or sodomy issues and where and what Obama does concerning these matters?

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you Dragonfly. It is a silly thread.

Hey, "much ado about nothing" .... good title for a play. :laugh: