1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moody Bible college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Eric Rolen, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Eric Rolen

Eric Rolen New Member

What is everyone's opinion on Moody's distance learning program? Bachelors degree program? Moody Bible college in general?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I think Moody has a good reputation. They are accredited by the Higer Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and by the Association for Biblical Higher Education.

They began offering couses through distance learning in 1901.

Their tuition is $159.00 per undergraduate hour and $260.00 per graduate hour. There are difinitely good schools that have distance learning that are much cheaper.

Their DL faculty looks very solid. It is intersting to note that their adjunct faculty includes professors who graduated from schools that have drawn criticism on this board including Covington, Andersonville, and Trinity.

Overal, from the catalogue, they look very solid and I believe Moody would be a good choice for distance learning.

There are others on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I am, but that's my take on Moody.

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

My sister graduated from there as did a brother in law and niece. They actually attended and lived in Chicago. All had a great experience - fantastic school. I cannot speak to the distance learning aspect.

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Could you please give the URL for this listing. All the faculty that I could find had degrees from reputable schools. A number had degrees from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, a well-respected, accredited school. I could not find any from Covington or Andersonville.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

$260.00 per credit hour for graduate work doesn't seem too bad to me. Besides the SBC seminaries I can't think of any other RA seminaries that are cheaper?

Tom

6. Brother Ian

Here you go Paid.

http://mmm.moody.edu/GenMoody/Media/MediaLibrary/2005_MDLC_Catalog.pdf

Page 71 - Louisiana Baptist Seminary
    Page 71 - South Florida Bible College & Theological Seminary
    Page 72 - Covington
    Page 72 - Trinity Theological Seminary
    Page 73 - Trinity Theological Seminary
    Page 74 - Covington, Trinity
    Page 75 - Andersonville
    Page 76 - Trinity

There were several Trinity schools listed, I'm not sure which is which.

I point this out only as an observation, not an endorsement of the schools above. I thought it interesting in light of past threads.

Tom, I was thinking it was expensive at first look. The price at the South African Theological Seminary keeps sticking in my mind as very, very reasonably priced. I am strongly considering enrollin at SATS. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my assessment of price.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually things are not as they seem. Let's take a closer look at this.

1. These are adjunct faculty and not full time Moody faculty.

2. William Peterson (pg75) who has a PhD from Andersonville has a ThM from Grace Seminary. This is important because it is clear that Moody does not require a PhD to be a adjunct faculty member (see the various teachers who only have master degrees).

3. Trinity Theological Seminary is not associated with Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (ie...Trinity International University). David Sutton (pg 76) has a MA from SWBTS and a DMin from Trinity Theological Seminary. So this is the same situation as is found in case number 2. Gregory Gifford (pg72) has a DMin from Trinity Theological Seminary but he also holds a MDiv from Grace Theological Seminary. So again this is the same situation as in case number 2. Edward Kapambwe only has his PhD from Trinity Theological Seminary listed. However since he has a PhD I have to assume he has a masters degree from some school. Judging from the others I would say it is probably a RA (regionally accredited) school.

4. Robert Emmons, who has a PhD from Covington, also holds a MDiv from Gordon-Conwell Seminary. So he does have a RA masters (see case 2 above).

5. Ralf Curtin (pg71), who has a DMin from South Florida Bible College & Theological Seminary, holds a from Trinity Evangelical Divinity school. Again he has a RA masters degree. Jerry Burton (pg71) does have a PhD from Louisiana Baptist Seminary but he holds a MA from Luther Rice (a nationally accredited school). So these folks hold accredited master degrees (see case number 2 above).

So things are not "as they seem". I doubt Moody is endorsing these schools at all. It probably is the case that these men happen to hold doctorates from Covington, Andersonville (etc) but where hired based on their regionally or nationally accredited Masters degrees.

Btw I think Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary is really close to being regionally accredited. So I will go ahead and allow that those who have degrees from that school have a RA degree (non-technically of course). However that is by no means an endorsement of Trinity since it is still possible that they fail to obtain full accreditation.

It is still much better to earn a degree from a regionally or nationally accredited school/seminary. This is even more important when the degree is earned online. If one is planning on having a teaching career one really needs, if at all possible, a RA degree.

In Christ,
    Martin.

8. Brother Ian

I stated in my post that these were adjunct faculty. I noticed these men had several other degrees as well. Also, the catalogue doesn't say what they teach. These folks could teach undergraduate courses, who knows?

Again, I offered only an observation. I remember someone in the thread on Andersonville said that a degree from there or one of the other schools mentioned would actually hurt you when it comes to finding a job in ministry and certainly does not qualify you to teach.

I know that being an adjunct faculty is not the same as being part of the resident faculty.

Again, just an observation.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think it is unusual for Moody to have these "teachers" on staff since they don't have a regionally accredited doctors degree. Most Universities (etc) require a regionally accredited doctorate even for those who teach undergraduate students.

Martin.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

==I think it is unusual for Moody to have these "teachers" on staff since they don't have a regionally accredited doctors degree. Most Universities (etc) require a regionally accredited doctorate even for those who teach undergraduate students.

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, I don't think they are teaching. Typically, adjunct faculty in a DL program do mentoring, etc. Since there are so many of them, this is what I think they are doing. However, let me point out that TA's do a lot of undergrad teaching at large RA state universities.

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Thanks. I didn't come across this PDF in my looking at the web site.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus dined with sinners. What does that make you?

13. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

Jesus dined with sinners. What does that make you? </font>[/QUOTE]He also pointed out sinners and told them to get saved too. :D

Nice try.

NEXT!

14. Brice

Brice New Member

Wait Wait!!! So what you're telling me is he ate dinner with a Catholic to talk about social issues such as abortion. He wants to join others in helping to stop abortion. :eek: :eek: :mad: Man I'll tell you what we should shut down the college NOW!! I'm sorry, I hope you can tell I'm being a little sarcastic, but seriously you really gotta come up with more then that when you accuse a college of being liberal. Tearing down Moody because someone ate dinner with a Catholic to try and stop abortion is not very productive. MH I agree with a lot of your statements on this board, but this one I must disagree on.

15. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

I am employed by Moody Bible Institute (not "Moody Bible College"), and at the Moody Distance Learning Center in particular: http://dlc.moody.edu -- I am a web programmer, not an instructor. However, I have worked for the Distance Learning Center for over 3 years and have taken graduate courses at North Park Theological Seminary and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (at the same time!), so I am capable of some comparison.

Moody is a faith-promoting, evangelical Christian school. Students carry their Bibles to class, and the students pray full of faith and the love of the Lord. To me, that is quite important. The professors are theologically sound, all premillennial dispensationalists of a Calvinist persuasion (AFAIK), unlike the professors at NPTS where the theology of the professors is generally quite a bit broader. Students at Moody are "stretched" and challenged to put their faith into practice; they actively show the love of Christ in both word and deed.

Full-time undergrad students who live on campus take courses tuition free, which is a very significant change from most schools. Students do have to pay for housing on campus, but their financial structure enables many students to come from overseas to study at MBI.

The Moody Distance Learning Center is one of the fastest-growing departments on campus. You can get an accredited bachelor's degree in Biblical Studies entirely online, and I know that the visual and print presentation of the course content is way above the online content I've taken from NPTS. (I never took any online courses at SBTS.) I know, because I've helped to code it in XML (and JavaScript, PHP, etc.), and its presentation is simply outstanding. At the present time, both NPTS and MBI use Blackboard as their course delivery engine.

I could say more, but I just wanted to drop in my two cents and give a [​IMG]

16. nate

nate New Member

17. Broadus

Broadus Member

I suspect that Moody's extension studies are similar to their on-campus studies---solidly evangelical with the expectation of serious work. There will be more emphasis upon dispensational interpretations than I like, but that certainly doesn't disqualify the school.

BTW, compromise is often in the eye of the beholder.

Bill