1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More dishonesty? Or just ignorant?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Pastor Larry, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

President Obama says this is the worst economy since the great depression.

Obviously this serves the purposes of talking down the economy and prolonging the problem.

But is it even accurate? Bradley Schiller in the WSJ actually looks at the numbers, comparing the Great Depression, the early 80s, and the current situation. He conclusively shows that Obama is wrong.

The question is this: Is this an example of more dishonesty from Obama? Or does he simply not know the facts?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The banking system was not on the verge of collapse during the recession in the early 1980s as it is now. The banking system was on the verge of collapse during the Great Depression.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe it is O'bama's intent to worsen the economy. His motive is known only by him and God.

4. targus

targus New Member

Really, I seem to recall something about a "run on the bank" occuring at the time of the actual depression.

Have we been having a lot of that lately?

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Liberals/democrats/leftists have selective memory.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Isn't that what Ken said?

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Even though some of the numbers are not as bad as some past recessions, I would agree that the state of our economy is in more danger of collapse then in those times. So I think you could make an argument for it being in the most danger since the depression.

8. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I think he was voted into office by whom??? If he doesn't play into the grand design, they will find someone that will. He may be listed in both ignorant and intentionally, but I believe he isn't a blind horse in this whole thing.
    It could be that after all this is put in motion, they may not have any more use for him.

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

He says it is the worst economic cristis since the Great Depression. That's not hard to understand. My first grader can understand that it means that the Great Depression was worse than this, but that since then we haven't seen as rough of a time.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But this isn't true. The article shows that the early 80s were worse than today is. Perhaps your first grader will take time to read the article.

11. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

GIVE ME A BREAK !!! That comment was............ well I can't think of anything NICE to say, so I better shut up !

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think the banking system is on the verge of a collapse. You have some banks, financial entities, and other cos that are in trouble due to "tainted" assets in their mortgages and mortgage-backed securities due to sorry fiscal policies. It's somewhat analagous to what happened in the 80s with the S&Ls, but not entirely. A handful of banks have failed recently. almost four thousand more have not.

The "worst since great depression" line polls well, thus it's used. Bushama will use it as long as it gets mileage

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I reject the premise that bushObama wants to worsen the economy. It's just that, like his predecessor, he has an inept team and a worse economic background, so the money is not on him coming up with a solution (if you'll pardon the pun)

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IndyMac Faces Bank "Run" - www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/792008_IndyMac_Bank_Run.asp

"But a new financial architecture emerged in the last decade — one that relied more on securities and less on banks as intermediaries. With the worth of those securities now being questioned — and no equivalent of deposit insurance — some who financed the securities want their money out, a fact that has created the 21st-century equivalent of a run on a bank." - www.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/business/10liquidity.html

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No, the article does not say that the early 80's were worse than today. Please show me where it says that? The conclusion of the article is that today is not worse than the great depression.

Anyway, that is beside the point. The reason I made my statement is that people here are commenting inferring that Obama said that today's crisis is worse than the Great Depression. That simply isn't what he said.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

IndyMac's "run" was relatively little, comparatively speaking, and precipitated by Schumer and some other public comments about its failed mortgage operation, despite some shred of truth to them. It's NAV/NIV construction perm product was the poster child of what's been wrong with the mortgage industry. Still, banks have two sides of the coin, and there was nothing to indicate that IndyMac deposits were in jeopardy.

Some of the same voices that precipitated the crisis at IndyMac and hastened its demise predicted the demise of BoA, Citi, Wachovia, and a couple of Super Regionals by Labor Day....of last year.

And a run on a small bank in CA is a far cry from the Depression era run on banks in general. No one is rushing into the local branch to grab their money. In fact, some banks are posting profits and deposit growth (some, significant growth). The good banks are attracting $ with great MMkt and CD rates.

17. targus

targus New Member

I notice that you had to go to July 2008 and August 2007 to come up with your examples.

This is February 2009.

Got anything more current?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the government and the Federal Reserve hadn't stepped in last year, Tom, I wonder what would have happened.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. The government and the Federal Reserve acted to stabliize the situation for the time being.

20. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Obama is a con and has been from day one. His leadership skills have been put to the fire and he gets a BIG FAT F!