1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More News from the Arkansas Front...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Apr 25, 2007.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh, good grief! Will someone stop this madness?

I really feel bad for you guys at ARK. I thought UT had it bad when, after our national title in '98, ESPN came after us (like they also did OSU after their NC in '02 and some others). But this is from within the Razorback family!

UGH!:BangHead:

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This won't stop until Houston Nutt is gone. He has alienated beyond repair a significant portion of the fanbase.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nutt may need to go, but Broyles is an even bigger albatross around the neck of the program IMHO.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broyles is the ultimate source of the problem. Any AD worth his salt would have fired Nutt after the back-to-back losing seasons.

If Broyles had fired him then, Malzahn would have never been hired, and the fiasco never would have begun.

Now, though, Broyles and Nutt both need to go, but it has to be both. Just letting Broyles ride off into the sunset is not going to satisfy this segment of the fanbase.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Just heard that ARK had the worst attendance in the SEC for the spring games. Worse than KY, worse than Vandy. ARK had somewhere around 2,000.

Ouch. :tonofbricks:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was nothing for the fans to see. Mcfadden and Jones weren't going to play except for maybe a play or two. There was no anticipation of a new passing attack with Gus Malzahn gone. Fans from central, east, and south Arkansas weren't going to travel all the way to the northwest corner of the state to see nothing but a scripted brief scrimmage.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Is there anything that would satisfy the Ar. fans?

I recall how they just had to have Frank Broyles and he had been the head coach of Mo. for one year I believe and they got him.

He had a good record as their football coach and ended up with a national championship one year. The Ar. fans did like it because he and the Texas coach were good friends along with the Bear at Al.

Broyles got Eddie Sutton to come in and coach basketball, they were not happy then because he wasn't a big name coach, Eddie took all of Ar. he could and moved to Uk. He got Nolan to come in and then they were not happy with him and he wasn't happy with Ar., both in basketball. He got Lou to come in and the Ar. people were not happy because he did adds for Jesse Helms in NC. Then he wanted to get into a deal with a beer co.
    The Ar. HS coaches didn't care for him. I'm in my 60's and I don't recall the Ar. folks every being happy with a coach for long. We are bad down here in Fl. but we have been happy with a few coaches over the years, at one time we were happy with UT's AD, now we have run off our share also, but we can be happy. I hope you folks find some one you can be happy with. Aren't you happy with the baseball coach?

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As an interesting aside, Bama drew over 90,000 to their spring game, breaking the old record held by Tennessee of 73,000. SCAR had 30,000 or so. UT only had about 20,000 show up on a cold day (I was battling a kidney stone and couldn't go, though I watched it on tv).

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I could be wrong, but a radio station in Columbia, SC said about 43,000 were there if I recall correctly. I believe OSU had over 50,00 if I recall correctly.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The Hogs have a great chance to win it all in Omaha this year.

Also, Coach Pelphrey in basketball is being very, very well received in Arkansas.

It's really only in football that there has been so much turmoil since Broyles retired. Houston Nutt brought a lot of this on himself. He should have stood up on his hind legs and told Broyles no to hiring Malzahn after the 2005 season as Nutt had no intention of giving up control of the offense. He might have gotten fired coming off back-to-back losing seasons but that would have been better than this turmoil.

Now we have this email gate saga that has become Godzilla-sized because a close personal family friend of the Nutts acted like a grade schooler and sent an idiotic email to a freshman quarterback. If she had simply hit "delete" instead of "send" most of this mess wouldn't be ongoing.

In a seminar I attended the teacher advised the following when you want to compose an angry email: leave the address blank, type it out, then delete it.

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I've liked your baseball team for a while now. Good news!!!

Will you folks be in a few years? Just giving you a hard time. I know Eddie said it was the hardest place he ever coached to keep the fans happy. After his stay at Ky., that is a lot to say.

Is Nutt's brother still the basketball coach at Ar. State?

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't remember hearing the numbers that high. I remember OSU having a decent crowd, especially coming off the embarassment in Glendale. SC's crowd is definitely good. It was amazing to see the Bama crowd on TV.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but I think I recall reading that Arkansas State did not extend his contract.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I got this from am OSU team site.
    The Gray and Scarlet game, Saturday in the 2007 Ohio State Spring Football Game in Ohio Stadium in front of 75, 301 fans. Last season, the spring game attracted more than 63,000 fans.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'll try to find the numbers as posted on an independant site. I'll be going out of town so it may be a few days.