1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More News On Haggard

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Martin, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haggard has confessed to some of the allegations "It is important for you to know that he confessed to the overseers that some of the accusations against him are true,” Ross Parsley, the acting senior pastor at New Life Church stated."

This Is Not The First Time For Haggard "Whitworth said that while he directed Ground Zero about a decade ago, he received a 10- to 12-page letter that accused Haggard of having a sexual affair with a man. Whitworth said it was not his policy to use unsubstantiated claims, and he believes he threw the letter away. "The interesting thing is Ted Haggard called me and asked me if I had received such a letter, and we had a conversation. I said, 'Ted, I don't go for character assassination."

Haggard's Accuser Fails Test "A former male prostitute who accused Colorado Springs pastor Ted Haggard of engaging in gay sex over the course of three years failed a polygraph test administered Friday morning in Denver."

Clears up very little "but" it does add to the story.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

although he could be telling the truth, that is interesting timing . . .

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haggard Is Guilty

"Evangelist Ted Haggard admitted Friday that he bought methamphetamine and received a massage from a gay prostitute who claims he was paid for drug-fueled trysts by the outspoken gay marriage opponent...Talking to reporters outside his house Friday, Haggard denied the sex allegations but said that he did buy meth from the man because he was curious. "I bought it for myself but never used it," he said. "I was tempted, but I never used it." STORY

Video Link Here

#3 Martin, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Whew!
    For a second there I thought you were referring to Merle!

[​IMG]

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I turned 21 in prison, doin' life without parole.
    No one, could steer me right, but Mama tried, Mama tried.
    Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading I denied.
    That leaves only me to blame, 'cause Mama tried.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I remember that. Music that I grew up on . . .

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yep...gotta love Merle Haggard.

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Yea right! Just like when Clinton said he smoked marijuana once but didn't inhale.

Seems like when someone is caught red-handed they would come clean, but I guess not.

One ironic thing is that I wouldn't be surprised to see Haggard, sometime in the future, write a book about his restoration and then be rewarded with millions of dollars in sales.

#8 Terry_Herrington, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Sunday night news is that now Haggard has admitted the sexual stuff.

On another thread on this topic, now closed by moderator action, I suggested that all too often religious leadership masks an unhealthy need for power, which typically expresses itself in grasping for wealth and/or sexual misconduct. Richard Foster's little book, "Money, Sex, and Power" says it all.

I'm afraid that in my observation this phenomenon is more often associated with ultra-conservative religion than with the more liberal sorts. It would be interesting to plumb the psychology of that reality.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Could it be that "ultra-conservative religion" lends itself more readily to pride? Consider the Pharisees for illustration. And pride goeth before a fall.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

It might be more enlightening to test the theory before pronouncing it "reality" and trying to psychoanalyze it. One good question would be "are there more fornicators in liberal pulpits or in conservative ones?" Another might be "are there more homosexuals in conservative pulpits, or in liberal ones?"

Perhaps most of all, the claim that religious leadership is often used as a mask needs to be compared to nonreligious leadership. I find no lack of these problems in the world of secular business, no lack at all.

As for power seekers, one might indeed expect the problem to show up more among conservatives, where the religion includes the right to say "Thus saith the Lord (or me, the closest thing to the Lord y'all have right now)." A liberal preacher with an itch to exercise power has one strike against him at the outset.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like most of your posts, pipedude. They got something heavy in them.
    Keep 'em coming, man, keep 'em coming.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

James Dobson's broadcast this morning dealt exclusively with the Haggard situation.

Haggard has resigned (been dismissed) from his church and leadership positions. He has agreed to submit to a disciplinary panel for accountability, and hopefully restoration to fellowship.

The program's panel: Dobson, Al Mohler, Ravi Zacharias, and H.B. London. I thought they did an excellent job calling sin what it is, yet not neglecting that God offers forgiveness to those who repent.

SOURCE

I have been wondering this all weekend: how many churchgoers looked at their pastors this weekend and thought, "I wonder what he's hiding?" I don't have an answer to that. Maybe this Haggard deal is a "tempest in a teapot" for the cynical masses. Maybe it's just folks heavily involved in ministry (or maybe politics) that care.

Or just maybe there are those asking that question...I don't know. What thinkest ya'll?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

99.9% of members need to look at themselves and what they are hiding.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

The following is the text of Haggard's letter, read to his former church this Sunday:

To my New Life Church family:

I am so sorry. I am sorry for the disappointment, the betrayal, and the hurt. I am sorry for the horrible example I have set for you.

I have an overwhelming, all-consuming sadness in my heart for the pain that you and I and my family have experienced over the past few days. I am so sorry for the circumstances that have caused shame and embarrassment to all of you.

I asked that this note be read to you this morning so I could clarify my heart's condition to you. The last four days have been so difficult for me, my family and all of you, and I have further confused the situation with some of the things I've said during interviews with reporters who would catch me coming or going from my home. But I alone am responsible for the confusion caused by my inconsistent statements. The fact is, I am guilty of sexual immorality, and I take responsibility for the entire problem.

I am a deceiver and a liar. There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life.

For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom. Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach.

Through the years, I've sought assistance in a variety of ways, with none of them proving to be effective in me. Then, because of pride, I began deceiving those I love the most because I didn't want to hurt or disappoint them.

The public person I was wasn't a lie; it was just incomplete. When I stopped communicating about my problems, the darkness increased and finally dominated me. As a result, I did things that were contrary to everything I believe.

The accusations that have been leveled against me are not all true, but enough of them are true that I have been appropriately and lovingly removed from ministry. Our church's overseers have required me to submit to the oversight of Dr. James Dobson, Pastor Jack Hayford, and Pastor Tommy Barnett. Those men will perform a thorough analysis of my mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical life. They will guide me through a program with the goal of healing and restoration for my life, my marriage, and my family.

I created this entire situation. The things that I did opened the door for additional allegations . But I am responsible; I alone need to be disciplined and corrected. An example must be set.

It is important that you know how much I love and appreciate my wife, Gayle. What I did should never reflect in a negative way on her relationship with me. She has been and continues to be incredible. The problem is not with her, my children or any of you. It was created 100 percent by me.

I have been permanently removed from the office of Senior Pastor of New Life Church. Until a new senior pastor is chosen, our Associate Senior Pastor Ross Parsley will assume all of the responsibilities of the office. On the day he accepted this new role, he and his wife, Aimee, had a new baby boy. A new life in the midst of this circumstance -- I consider the confluence of events to be prophetic. Please commit to join with Pastor Ross and the others in church leadership to make their service to you easy and without burden. They are fine leaders. You are blessed.

I appreciate your loving and forgiving nature, and I humbly ask you to do a few things.

1.) Please stay faithful to God through service and giving.

2.) Please forgive me. I am so embarrassed and ashamed. I caused this and I have no excuse. I am a sinner. I have fallen. I desperately need to be forgiven and healed.

3.) Please forgive my accuser. He is revealing the deception and sensuality that was in my life. Those sins, and others, need to be dealt with harshly. So, forgive him and, actually, thank God for him. I am trusting that his action will make me, my wife and family, and ultimately all of you, stronger. He didn't violate you; I did.

4.) Please stay faithful to each other. Perform your functions well. Encourage each other and rejoice in God's faithfulness. Our church body is a beautiful body, and like every family, our strength is tested and proven in the midst of adversity. Because of the negative publicity I've created with my foolishness, we can now demonstrate to the world how our sick and wounded can be healed, and how even disappointed and betrayed church bodies can prosper and rejoice.

Gayle and I need to be gone for a while. We will never return to a leadership role at New Life Church. In our hearts, we will always be members of this body. We love you as our family. I know this situation will put you to the test. I'm sorry I've created the test, but please rise to this challenge and demonstrate the incredible grace that is available to all of us.

Ted Haggard

16. Brice

Brice New Member

Great broadcast; everyone should listen to it.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

bump . . . .

18. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I may be naive, but this reads well to me. The repeated expressions of sorrow, the admission of responsibility, the insistence that he had no expectation of returning to his pastorate -- all of these ring true to me. They stand in contrast to what we heard from Swaggart and Bakker back in their days of comeuppance.

As for the question that was raised about how many people looked at their pastors and wondered what they were hiding, I can say that I am quite content that my pastor is sincere, honest, and open. How do I know? Well, it's intangible, but some have a sixth sense or "radar" that makes us sense when someone is off the mark. I'm glad my pastor is faithful, committed, and genuine.

And he has had no need to be denouncing this group or that sin in hateful ways!

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe is sincere and his confession is the first steps to true repentance. I'll guess we'll see as time goes on.

20. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

He does seem sincere in his letter, and I cant help but feel compassion toward him. My mother's pastor fell into the same type situation, and he was not at all as forthcoming and overtly remorseful. I pray that Haggard can truly gain freedom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.