1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More public school idiocy: kid sent home & "evaluated" for cross drawing

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Dec 16, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

I declare...two prerequisites to running a school must be (1) You must be a raging idiot; and (2) You must find ways to attack Christians.

Mass. 2nd-grader sent home for crucifix drawing
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9CJTKRO0&show_article=1

Absolutely ridiculous. Someone should be fired for being monumentally stupid, practicing religious discrimination, or both.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely this comes as no surprise, seeing as how this is the land of the Kennedys & Kerrys??

Like I told my wife re: something that the "0" had done: "You may tell me something that I didn't know, but you'll be hard pressed to tell me anything that surprises me."

Same goes for anything off-the-wall from this liberal paradise.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Something is being overlooked. The kid wasn't sent home because he drew a cross. He was sent home because it appeared to be a picture of himself being crucified, not unlike pictures kids with suicidal thoughts might draw.

That being said, it was still an overreaction, and the issue should have been resolved by the teacher simply asking the boy some questions to get clarification. Teachers in public schools often lack discernment, and this is a prime example.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at the picture, Christ is depicted with long hair as in the typical pictures, statues etc... I don't know that this boy had long hair.

Besides the article said the boy said that it was himself on the cross:

"Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross"

which by the way is Scriptural but johnv is correct I guess the teacher missed this Scripture...

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

No doubt this is a difficult concept for an 8 year old unless of course he is indeed saved and taught by the Holy Spirit.

Also, he might have been told that he deserved to be on the cross but Christ took his place.

In any event it seems to me to be another example of PC required but misplaced hysterics on the part of those who have been given the public trust to guide and protect our children (even from the gospel, after all we wouldn't want to injure their "self esteem" by telling them they are sinners worthy of death).

HankD

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone is over reacting here. The Father has made claims of racism and trauma to the boy. I can see no evidence of either. I am not with the boy but there is no reason a child should be traumatized by this. Such claims are ususally used to set up law suits.

The school could have handled it better but it is not unreasonable to see why they would be concerned over the boy's statement. Everyone needs to get a grip.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur completely.
    I likewise concur.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The sky is falling. Rev and Johnv agreed on something.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I had to check my calendar to make sure the Ratpure wasn't occurring, but hey, when Rev is right, Rev is right.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would that therefore mean sometimes he isn't?

HankD

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yep, and admittedly, sometimes so am I. :wavey:

11. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I also agree with these pov.

12. targus

targus New Member

Story About Jesus Drawing Reportedly Exaggerated

"Contrary to news reports -- including a story on ParentDish -- the boy was never suspended. He and his classmates at Maxham Elementary School in Taunton, Mass. (40 miles south of Boston), were never given an assignment to draw pictures that reminded them of Christmas.

The Boston Globe reports much of that information came from the boy's father, Chester Johnson. The father granted interviews to reporters from Boston to Providence and beyond yesterday and apparently exaggerated the story while demanding money from school district.

"They can't mess with our religion," he told reporters. "They owe us a small lump sum for this."

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/12/1...y-about-jesus-drawing-reportedly-exaggerated/