1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More Shame, More Sorrow?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Aug 31, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In the administration of George W. Bush, the Republican Party has achieved the greatest combination of idiocy and evil in human history.

The Republicans have bogged America down in a gratuitous and illegal war. The war has destroyed Iraq, killed between 650,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqi civilians, displaced 4,000,000 Iraqis, and littered the country with depleted uranium. Bush’s war remains unwon despite its five-year duration and $1 trillion in out-of-pocket and incurred future costs....

Many of the administration’s most evil members – Wolfowitz, Feith, Libby, Rumsfeld, Rove, and Gonzales – have been discarded as the tragedy deepens, but Cheney remains ensconced as does the moron in the White House. Before they fall, Bush and Cheney will bring more sorrow to the world and more shame to Americans." - Paul Craig Roberts

- www.lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts221.html

I hope that Mr. Roberts is wrong about even more tragedy being created by the Bush administration but he may prove to be correct during the last 17 months of this horrible administration.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Again, something from Lew Rockwell that simply cannot be trusted. Some of you never learn. Unreal ...

3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Let us in on the secret of the real Lew Rockwell. Any reason why you don't trust him?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than providing an outlet for the Bush hating wacko Roberts?

(Shrug):confused:

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Isn't life grand? What on earth are all of you who debate the goodness of the Bush administration or lack thereof are going to do in 17 months when he is a faded memory? Oh, I know. you can debate the goodness of the Hillary administration.

6. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Oh, I see . Did this guy destroy all the false hopes that neo-cons had for the failed Bush regime? Oh why can't youse guys just quit bashin good ol' Lew.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Because I have never seen him make a good argument and have seen him distort facts. He should not be trusted.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

great line. a definition of sarcasm :thumbs:

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Another one of your generalizations without evidence. You have not laid your case out for discrediting Lew Rockwell, why would anyone want to take you at your word?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Lew Rockwell is a credible source of presenting certain views. I have used him several times as a source connected with term papers in college where one must present both sides. To say his arguments are faulty is not so. He presents certain opinions about certain issues, and is considered a credible enough source to be allowed on term papers.

It is kind of like giving an "expert" opinion on the Iraq war and never served one day in the armed forces.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think that is a bit of an over-statement. I would consider the reign of some of the old Roman Caesars to be much more evil than Bush's presidency. I think of Nero and Gaius as two that certainly surpise this administration in evil.

Of Gaius, Suetonius states:

"He loved watching tortures and executions; and, disguised in wig and robe, abandoned himself nightly to the pleasures of gluttonous and adulterous living" (pg155)

"Gaius made parents attend their sons' executions...having invited another father to dinner just after the son's execution, he overflowed with good-fellowship in an attept to make him laugh and joke" (pg165)

"He never kissed the neck of his wife or mistress without saying, and this beautiful throat will be cut whenever I please" (pg168)

"Any good-looking man with a fine head of hair whom Gaius ran across - him himself was bald - had the back of his scalp brutally shaved" (pg169)

"He never missed a chance of securing loot: setting aside a suite of Palace rooms, he decorated them worthily, opened a brothel, stocked it with married women and free-born boys, and then sent his pages around the squares and public halls, inviting all men, of whatever age, to come and enjoy themselves. Those who appeared were lent money at interest, and clerks openly wrote down their names under the heading 'Contributors to the Imperial Revenue'" (pg173)

"Because of his baldness and hairiness he announced that it was a capital offence for anyone either to look down on him as he passed or to mention goats in any context" (pg177)

Need I go on? I can quote section on Nero and others, I could also talk about Stalin and Hitler. How about Herod?

My point is that we must be careful when making statements like the one made above. History is full of rulers (etc) who were much more wicked/evil than this administration.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Roberts is comparing the present Bush administration with prior presidential administrations. He could be overstating his case. Certainly a case can be made that the administration of Abraham Lincoln was more evil than the Bush administration by setting off the largest bloodbath in U.S. history.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I suppose one's answer to that would be determined by their opinion of Lincoln's original motives.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think he is guilty of an extreme overstatment. Bush's policies maybe misguided, and maybe causing great pain and grief, but I don't consider him to be one of the world's most evil leaders/presidents/administrations (etc). One of the most misguided? Yes, but not the other. I think we could go down a list of people who were thousands of times more evil than Bush. I happen to pick on Nero and Gaius but there are thousands more we could examine. I think of current day rulers in Iran, North Korea, China, various warlords, and others who are together willfully killing thousands (if not millions) of people around the world today. Bush's war in Iraq, while misguided, has noble motives. He truly wishes to spread democracy and freedom. While I believe those goals to be misguided, unrealistic, unconstitutional, and disasterous, I have no doubt that his motives are as pure as a Washington DC politicians motives can be. I don't believe Bush is an evil man. Hitler, Stalin, Nero, and others were truly evil.

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Or he could be following Machiavelli and Strauss' advice and repeating the "Noble lie" again and again. If he really cares so much about spreading "democracy" then why is he doing everything he can to stifle it here at home and centralize power in the executive?

More advice from some "great leaders" of the past. Who were they?

#15 poncho, Sep 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall any of these serving as president of these United States.

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Me neither but they did put false flag terrorism to work for them. How's bout a history lesson on that Martin?

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That ain't saying a lot. That bar is set really low, you know. :tear:

Ed

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yea, but the quote said "human history":

"In the administration of George W. Bush, the Republican Party has achieved the greatest combination of idiocy and evil in human history"

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't support Bush or the war in Iraq. I thought that would be clear enough from my statement:

"While I believe those goals to be misguided, unrealistic, unconstitutional, and disasterous, I have no doubt that his motives are as pure as a Washington DC politicians motives can be."

Certainly does not sound like a ringing endorsement to me. In fact it almost sounds like a insult :thumbsup: .