1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormon KJV?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by David J, Sep 17, 2004.

1. David J

David J New Member

I have seen on TV commercials by the Mormons offering a free KJV. Does anyone know if the Mormons changed the KJV? Since the KJV copyright is not honored in the US, it would be legal if the Mormon’s did in fact alter the KJV. This is a serious question and I do not want any KJVO spin please.

Please list any examples etc...

Thanks,

David J.

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

As far as I know, the text isn't changed. They don't have to change it, because they believe it is true "as correctly interpreted". (That means its only true with a Mormon spin put on it.)

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I DO know there's a "Joseph Smith Translation" published by the Mor(m)ons. I don't know if that's the one they're giving away or not.(They might hafta give it away, as no one in his/her right mind would BUY it once they've read through a little of it!)

Take my word for it: I've seen one, and it's no more a valid KJV edition than the Good As New is!

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Living in the land of the mormons, we see the Bible they hand out free. It is your standard KJV Bible with no extra study notes. The one the Gideons place in the hotels would be very similar in style and quality. It is the KJV Bible.

Bro Tony

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's goodta know...that JS version is a real corruption. They must save it for confirmed members.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Will probably find a link within the KJVO movement, tying the IFB to the Mormon church.

1cross+3nails=4given

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    robycopy: "There's a "Joseph Smith Translation" published by the Mor(m)ons...that JS version is a real corruption. They must save it for confirmed members."

Humorous sidelight: the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City does *not* own the rights to the Joseph Smith Translation; these were granted in perpetuity (just like KJV Crown Copyright) to the Reorganized Church of LDS in Independence, MO.

This is the same crowd that owns the *only* place where Joseph Smith said a Mormon Temple should be built, and the ground still stands vacant, because the Reorganized Church that believes only a descendant of Joseph Smith should be the leader will not compromise and settle with the Salt Lake bunch that follows Brigham Young's leadership and his subsequent "apostles". This group is a JSO faction..... [​IMG]

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It seems The Joseph Smith Translation is now being called The Inspired Version. This is likely an attempt to keep Smith's name from the title, although his name does appear at the web site. If you're interested, check out the web site at Inspired Version.

9. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

The one they are giving away is the KJV.

I'm not 100% for sure but I think that about the only place where you can get Joe Smiths version is through the Community of Christ (former Reorganized LDS). The LDS don't seem to want tot alk about it and from the few discussions I have had seem to want to keep distance between the JS version and them.

Jim

10. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Thanks for info ziggy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but on the land owned by the CoC, where Joseph said there would be a temple, wasn't that temple supposed to be there by now?

Jim

11. Stacie

Stacie New Member

I wouldn't get any Bible from any Mormon. When I was in High School, I went to a slumber party at a friend of mine's house. She was Mormon. We wanted to read the Bible before bed and they handed out Bibles. The Bible I got was a KJV that you buy in Wal-Mart or any other store. They had crossed out some verses and handwritten what their KJV Bible said. I even compared to their Bible with the LDS Salt Lake LDS printing press copyright. What was in the Mormon KJV Bible was what was handwritten in the Bible they handed me. So yes, they do change it some parts -- so that it doesn't conflict with the Book of Mormon, Perl of Great Price and Doctrine and Coventants. Although the last three group of "scriptures" does enough of contridicting each other all on their own.

Now this was back in 1987/1988 so they may have changed and are now printing KJV like they are supposed to, but I wouldn't chance it.

Stacie

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim said:

"Correct me if I am wrong, but on the land owned by the CoC, where Joseph said there would be a temple, wasn't that temple supposed to be there by now?

Indeed. Smith prophesied (in 1832) that it would be "reared in this generation." The "temple lot" is owned not by the Community of Christ (the former RLDS) but by the "Church of Christ," a smaller splinter group. The Community of Christ has built a temple in Independence, but not on the "temple lot."

13. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Thank you for the correction. I will make sure to mark this in my notes.

Jim

14. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Mormons don't need to make their own translation of the Bible in any way. They do a perfectly fine job of ripping scripture to pieces with the KJV. [​IMG]

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The official Bible is the KJV, although its footnotes and cross references use the JST and other Mormon documents.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if you tour their official website, they talk about the KJV "as it is correctly interpreted"

So even though they hold the TRUTH in their hands, they use satan's messenger Joseph Smith to interpret it.

I have Mormon relatives, because when I was out fo God's will, I married a Mormon in 1975. They will use any way they can to win you to their cult. BEWARE!!!!

Debbie C

17. Lori

Lori New Member

I know they also have something they call the Quad which is one really giant book with the KJV Bible, BOM, Pearl Book, and that other one can't think of the name of it, all bound together in one book.

I once had a friend that is a Morman and asked him why the BOM doesn't match with some of the stuff in the Bible and he told me that the Bible was not correctly interpreted until it was revealed to JS.

While we're on the topic of Morman they believe that Satan controls the water. Is that just a Morman belief or is there *any* scriptural evidence to suggest that?

azwyld
    &lt;*}}}&gt;&lt;

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about the water, but Scripture calls him "prince of the air".

If he DOES control the water to some extent, JESUS showed him WHO'S BOSS by WALKING on the water.

19. Stacie

Stacie New Member

The Quad includes KJV Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants (D & C) and Pearl of Great Price.

I do not believe there is any scriptural evidence to suggest that Satan controls the Waters. Not only did Jesus walk on water, he also calmed the seas during a storm.

Stacie

20. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage in question is from Doctrine and Covenants 61, which is occasioned by a canoe trip the elders have made. The passage tells them not to travel by water, or only to travel on water by canal, or it doesn't really make a difference.

http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/61